PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Atlantic 10 set to expand

McMurphyCBS VCU, George Mason, Butler in discussions to join Atlantic 10 sources tell

VCU leaving CAA for Atlantic 10

Butler, which beat VCU in the national semifinals last year, joined the A-10 on May 2. But while Butler won't come aboard until the 2013-14 school year, VCU is all-in come July 1.

That’s a pretty good league!

Yep, sometimes I wish PSU was still in that league for hoops!

Heard from a buddy today who is an assistant at VCU. They are really excited about the move to the A10.

Big blow to the CAA for hoops.

[quote="tjb, post:3, topic:3209"]That's a pretty good league![/quote]

+1 Yes, sometimes… 12-6 in the A-10 was more exciting than 6-12 in the B10

In fact that PSU team in 1991 might not have sniffed the NCAA’s had they been in the Big Ten at the time, though they did beat an 11-7, 21-10 Illinois team in early December of that season. Illinois did not make the tourney that year due to NCAA violations.

I agree…IF the A10 did not have Charlotte and St. Louis.

another blow…

Old Dominion is gone to the C-USA

Old Dominion to join Conference USA

ODU becomes the second school to leave the CAA this week. VCU announced Tuesday that it is heading to the Atlantic 10 in July 2012, and the league faces the likelihood of having UNC Wilmington and Towson banned from postseason play in men's basketball next season for not meeting the NCAA's Academic Progress Rate. Those penalties will be announced late next month...

…CAA commissioner Tom Yeager said Thursday that the Monarchs will have to pay a $250,000 exit fee and forfeiture of $400,000 in revenue distribution this year. However, Monarchs boosters have already pledged $3 million in private support to help meet the school’s expenses, which will include added football scholarships, Broderick said.

CAA went from maybe toughest mid major conference to one of the 10 weakest conferences in basketball.

That’s a pretty big step up for ODU especially in football.

With a stadium that seats under 20k, I’ll say its a huge step up.

Sheesh…what’s next, William & Mary moving to the Patriot League?

That's a pretty big step up for ODU especially in football.

With a stadium that seats under 20k, I’ll say its a huge step up.

Yes, it’s a huge step. Ironically, Penn State’s move to D-I hockey may have been bigger.

The good news? …they won’t have to travel far once their football team is put on Penn State’s OOC schedule. :wink:

I’m sure that it will just keep trickling down. The CAA will probably look to add a few top teams from the America East, MAAC, Ohio Valley, etc, thus also weakening some of those conferences.

Butler will be joining the A-10 this year[/b]]=http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7984779/butler-bulldogs-move-atlantic-10-now-set-seasonA-10 this year.

Wow. The A-10 is doing work.

Boston U joining the Patriot League.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/19359227/boston-university-leaving-america-east-for-patriot-league