PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Asst. Coach Thread

I thought I would start a thread. It looks like Pat will be doing a bunch of interviews this afternoon and evening. Maybe somebody will ask the coach about his plans for Asst. coaches.

I just found this 247 article:

http://pennstate.247sports.com/Article/Chambers-introduced-as-head-coach-27791

It mentions that Tom Curley noted that Coach has yet to assemble a staff.

Mike Missanelli of 975TheFanatic asked Pat this afternoon about the assistant coaches. Mike made mention of Pat’s assistant who was made interim head coach at BU. Pat said he would encourage him to stay at BU since it is a great opportunity. Also, that the guy had moved his family to take the job. But that if it didn’t work out, he had a spot for him at PSU.

There was no mention of the current assistant coaches, but that Pat would be doing some interviewing. He also said that getting recruits is important, but a great staff is equally as important.

Anybody hearing any names? What about a guy like Mike Rhoades filling one of the spots?

http://twitter.com/#!/PSUSTRETCH

PSUSTRETCH Brian Siegrist Patrick Chambers adds former Navy assistant and Philadelphia native Eugene Burroughs to Penn State coaching staff.

A little primer about him:

From the Jay Wright tree, assisted him at Hofstra. Then was the number 2 guy at Navy under Billy Lange, another Wrighti protege.

Welcome to PSU Coach Burroughs!!

Burroughs was rumored to have looked at filling Lew Preston’s job with DeChellis before DeChellis decided to leave.

Seems like a pretty logical hire. I’m sure Billy Lange, now back at Viillanova, gave Chambers a thorough review of Burroughs’ work at Navy. Plus, Pat’s known Eugene for a long time and they have Episcopal Academy connections. It doesn’t hurt that Burroughs played college ball under Dick Tarrant at Richmond. Tarrant was considered a bit of a coaching wizard until he retired. Looks like a good hire by Chambers.

Wouldn’t surprise me if Kanaskie or Earl ends up at Navy, or if one of the other Navy coaches under Lange finds a role with Chambers.

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/060911aaa.html

Glad we snagged Burroughs. word was that ED was recruiting him here before he left.

Would be great to snag KK for big ten knowledge and staff continuity. I’d love to see The Great Dan Earl forever in blue and white but I would be surprised if they both got an offer.

[quote=“Evan Ceg, post:8, topic:2471”]Burroughs was rumored to have looked at filling Lew Preston’s job with DeChellis before DeChellis decided to leave.

Seems like a pretty logical hire. I’m sure Billy Lange, now back at Viillanova, gave Chambers a thorough review of Burroughs’ work at Navy. Plus, Pat’s known Eugene for a long time and they have Episcopal Academy connections. It doesn’t hurt that Burroughs played college ball under Dick Tarrant at Richmond. Tarrant was consider a bit of a coaching wizard until he retired. Looks like a good hire by Chambers.

Wouldn’t surprise me if Kanaskie or Earl ends up at Navy, or if one of the other Navy coaches under Lange finds a role with Chambers.

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/060911aaa.html[/quote]

No knock against Earl but I think we have enough guard oriented coaches now. We need someone with a history of developing post players.

Chambers seems to like Philly guys!

So will the rest of the BU staff fill out the rest of Chambers staff? Burroughs looks like he probably be first assistant since he has lots years of experience.

Brian Daly, who was Chambers’ associate head coach last season and coached posts for BU, could fill the top spot at Penn State if he doesn’t get the BU job. Given that there’s more money for assistant coaches at Chambers’ disposal, perhaps Kanaskie fills that top assistant role or someone with a national recruiting reputation.

Isn’t it somewhat typical to keep one coach from the previous regime on staff as sort of a continuity factor and to act as a little bit of experience on how things work at the new school for the new head coach. Have to believe that with the Navy guy’s bio on coaching guards, Earl would have to see some writing on the wall. And considering Chambers talked about his BU’s assistants, I would have to think at least one of KK or Earl is not coming back. Wouldn’t be surprised if Chambers makes a clean break and hires 3 all new coaches.

You’d think Chambers would have to have someone on board with some Big Ten familiarity.

I don’t look for any to be retained.

I’m glad that we have one assistant chosen. I wasn’t sure if Coach Chambers had time for that since he had been traveling to meet all of the current players.

I wouldn’t be surprised if KK is still in the mix. He’s perfect for that Big Ten knowledge spot.

I like Kanaskie a lot, I hope he stays.

I’d be shocked if he is. He will more likely be the #2 guy.