PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Assistant coaches?

Okay, now that we have a head coach, I can start obsessing about the selection of assistants.

It seems reasonable to suspect that former PSU graduate manager Adam Fisher will return to Penn State and reprise his role as Chamber’s DOBO. Brian Daly, a former head coach at Monsignor Bonner HS (Philly) and Ross Condon, a former Villanova walk-on from Northern Virginia who prior to BU was a DOBO at Radford, are two-year members of Chambers’ BU staff. Daly had some success coaching posts at BU and was associate head coach this past season for Chambers. I’m guessing that one of those two might end up in State College. A lot will depend on whether Daly succeeds Chambers at BU.

Chambers apparently has some more money to pay assistants. Maybe enough to attract a guy like Jim Boylen as his top assistant. I don’t know if Boylen and Chambers know each other or if Boylen would be interested.

It wouldn’t hurt if the assistants had roots in Philly, New York City, the Baltimore-DC metroplex, and Ohio. Of course, it’s unrealistic to think Chambers will be able to sign a staff that brings all that geographical representation.

The other question is whether Chambers will retain Kanaskie or Earl. It depends, I think, on how Chambers weighs the need for some continuity and familiarity with Penn State Basketball operations against the need to make a new culture by sweeping out the “old.” Kanaskie and Earl both have jobs waiting for them at Navy, but the pay might be a little less and Earl probably needs to get experience in a non-DeChellis system to improve his vita. Both Kanaskie and Earl are quality coaches and people.

There’s a father-son basketball camp coming up next weekend and three more camps scheduled before the start of July. It will be interesting to see how much Chambers and his pending staff are involved.

I have a suggestion for lead assitant. Like Gene Keady to Steve Lavin…Pat’s “Gene Keady” woudl be Herb Magee.

Good Thread, maybe Fisher gets elevated to an assistant or stays as DOBO but you would think he is likely following Chambers.
The Herb Magee idea sounds good, maybe he is DOBO. His staff will be very interesting, is it possible he pulls someone from Nova staff to Happy Valley as head assistant.

Both Kanaskie and Earl are good men, and while I think it highly unlikely that they will be hired by Chambers, I would welcome it.

ED’s first staff was really, really great, and it turned up Geary Claxton. That was a good model. Two young kids and Kurt.

Scott Pera as #2 assistant. I would like to keep Kanaskie but I’d understand if it doesn’t happen.

Agreed on Pera. He seems to want to move home, but I’m not sure if he would make a lateral move for it. As my lead assistant though, I’m still all for Shaq. The new student section could be called the “Diesel Chamber”

Complete speculation follows, but here’s a list of former head coaches who might be faxing their résumés to Chambers for that lead assistant job: Jim Boylen (Utah), Perry Clark (Tulane, Miami [FL], TAMU-Corpus Christi), Gene Cross (Toledo), Dino Gaudio (Army and Wake Forest), Karl Hobbs (GWU), Todd Lickliter (Butler and Iowa), Sidney Lowe (NC State), Sean Kearney (Holy Cross), Barry Rohrssen (Manhattan), Norm Roberts (St. John’s), Dereck Whittenberg (Fordham).

Then again, there’s no reason why Chambers should feel compelled to hire a former head coach as his lead assistant.

I like it.

The three guys left on Chambers’ BU staff (counting Fisher) and two on PSU’s are all white. It doesn’t take a genius to figure out the first outsider hired will undoubtedly have a different complexion. It’s unfortunate that we live in a world where complexion matters, and we’ve come a long way in the last 30 years, but it’s still a sad fact of life (but fortunately becoming less and less of an issue all the time).

I wonder if he could, or if he would even try to, get Fred Hill to change his mind about Northwestern and come to us. I think he (Hill) just got hired, so the timing isn’t great.

If I had to hazard a guess, I would say that Fisher and either Condon or Daly come with Chambers and that Kanaskie stays. Earl then heads to Navy with ED.

Agreed, Lar. It’s very unusual to find a Division I basketball staff without at least one Black assistant coach. Surprisingly, that’s the case with Jay Wright’s staff at present.

Jarrett Stephens would fit that bill really well.

Does Jarrett Stephens even have any coaching interest?

More importantly, can he coach? It never ceases to amaze me why people think just because a guy can play the game, he can coach. They are a different skill set.

As of a season ago, yes.

Thet the important five figure dollar question. I certainly have no idea.

Someone like Jarrett Stephens usually gets started in college coaching by being the director of Operations or the video coordinator. I’m not implying that Stephens will fill one of those roles on Chambers’ staff.

[quote=“tjb, post:4, topic:2462”]Both Kanaskie and Earl are good men, and while I think it highly unlikely that they will be hired by Chambers, I would welcome it.

ED’s first staff was really, really great, and it turned up Geary Claxton. That was a good model. Two young kids and Kurt.[/quote]

I think Earl has a really bright coaching future. He should try to move up the assistant ladder and become a low or mid major head coach. Our guard play was a huge reason for winning the NIT and advancing to the Big Ten tournament finals this season. If Chambers keeps Earl, I hope it is as the top assistant. If not, I hope he becomes the top assistant elsewhere.

[quote="tjb, post:4, topic:2462"]Both Kanaskie and Earl are good men, and while I think it highly unlikely that they will be hired by Chambers, I would welcome it.

ED’s first staff was really, really great, and it turned up Geary Claxton. That was a good model. Two young kids and Kurt.[/quote]

I think Earl has a really bright coaching future. He should try to move up the assistant ladder and become a low or mid major head coach. Our guard play was a huge reason for winning the NIT and advancing to the Big Ten tournament finals this season. If Chambers keeps Earl, I hope it is as the top assistant. If not, I hope he becomes the top assistant elsewhere.

Highly Possible if Earl goes to Navy with Ed he probably would be a top assistant, or if his brother gets a Head Coaching job and joins him.