PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Article from SI about a St Joe's transfer

Anybody read this, can’t help Martelli recruit.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/basketball/ncaa/12/19/todd.obrien/index.html?sct=cb_t11_a1

Wow. Who knew Martelli was such a delta bravo?

I would love to hear Martelli’s side of the story…I hope he has one.

Take it for what it’s worth since it’s coming from St Joe’s fans but…

Their explanation for it is that Martelli asked him after the end of last season what his plans were this year, as he wanted to know if he was comfortable coming back in a reduced role as he was pretty much passed on the depth chart. He said that he was committed to coming back, so Martelli didn’t use up his scholarship. The kid was only a few courses shy of graduating, and once he got enrolled in those summer classes that would get him his diploma and the semester started, he then told Martelli that he was out of there after his finished up the summer semester. Martelli thought that they were being used and lied to, so he told him that they weren’t going to release him. According to many, he was in Martelli’s doghouse a lot over the past year, and also had some legal issues that were brushed under the rug.

The SI article obviously only gave his side of the story. While I don’t know how much of the “St Joe’s fan’s” story, I’m sure that the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Martelli has always struck me as a pretty stand up guy, so this seemed pretty out of character for him.

St. Joe’s fans hate this kid. Apparently he was involved in some lap top theft and was suspended for 8 games last season. From what I’ve read, most are on Martelli’s side, but don’t think its worth the bad press.

I would imagine it’s somewhere in the middle between both sides. On one hand, you’d hate to see a school have the power over a kid’s career, but on the other, I can see why the school feels like they’re ‘being held hostage’. And then NCAA is useless and here we are.

If they don’t like him, just release him. Why deal with the potential bad press over this?

In an era where coaches can sign multi-year contract extensions, then walk away with impunity, it does seem hypocritical.

May be one sided but still a well written article. Interesting to see the St. Joe AD and president backup the coach’s decision. But, I would guess the hoop coach is probably the school’s highest paid employee. ::slight_smile:

Do the right thing St. Joe’s. Let him go.

[quote=“eric17, post:5, topic:2923”]St. Joe’s fans hate this kid. Apparently he was involved in some lap top theft and was suspended for 8 games last season. From what I’ve read, most are on Martelli’s side, but don’t think its worth the bad press.

I would imagine it’s somewhere in the middle between both sides. On one hand, you’d hate to see a school have the power over a kid’s career, but on the other, I can see why the school feels like they’re ‘being held hostage’. And then NCAA is useless and here we are.[/quote]

How unusual is that? Let’s just look at the Bolden situation, or even the basketball kid who was coming here then went to WV… …or even Taran Biue.

The fans of the school are just about always on the school’s side. If this was such a bad kid, stealing and all, why would the head coach allow him on the team at all ? St. Joe’s didn’t seem to have a problem with the kid “deceiving” his original school when he transfered to St. Joe’s. :-\

Exactly. Apparently Martelli stuck his neck out for the guy and he then transferred at the last minute.

St. Joe's fans hate this kid. Apparently he was involved in some lap top theft and was suspended for 8 games last season. [b]From what I've read, most are on Martelli's side[/b], but don't think its worth the bad press.

I would imagine it’s somewhere in the middle between both sides. On one hand, you’d hate to see a school have the power over a kid’s career, but on the other, I can see why the school feels like they’re ‘being held hostage’. And then NCAA is useless and here we are.

How unusual is that? Let’s just look at the Bolden situation, or even the basketball kid who was coming here then went to WV… …or even Taran Biue.

The fans of the school are just about always on the school’s side. If this was such a bad kid, stealing and all, why would the head coach allow him on the team at all ? St. Joe’s didn’t seem to have a problem with the kid “deceiving” his original school when he transfered to St. Joe’s. :-</blockquote>

if you are to believe Martelli, this is why he was deceiving St. Joe’s. At Bucknell he might have been very up front with the staff and left on good terms.

Their explanation for it is that Martelli asked him after the end of last season what his plans were this year, as he wanted to know if he was comfortable coming back in a reduced role as he was pretty much passed on the depth chart. He said that he was committed to coming back, so Martelli didn’t use up his scholarship. The kid was only a few courses shy of graduating, and once he got enrolled in those summer classes that would get him his diploma and the semester started, he then told Martelli that he was out of there after his finished up the summer semester. Martelli thought that they were being used and lied to, so he told him that they weren’t going to release him.

So what last minute recruit would Martelli have been after that screwed up the recruiting class enough that Martelli would hold such a grudge?

Yeah this is the other part of the story. St Joe’s had PLENTY of open scholarships because there were some transfers and dismissals. They only have 9 scholarship players this year.

[quote="Tom, post:13, topic:2923"]So what last minute recruit would Martelli have been after that screwed up the recruiting class enough that Martelli would hold such a grudge?[/quote]

Yeah this is the other part of the story. St Joe’s had PLENTY of open scholarships because there were some transfers and dismissals. They only have 9 scholarship players this year.

Ah, that certainly changes things in that respect. Todd did mention in his story that his father offered to pay for the summer classes he took.

What does it mean that “they were being used”?

If he had told Martelli that he was NOT coming back, does that mean Martelli would not have allowed him to attend the summer courses on scholarship?

…before anyone jumps, I understand the “lied to” part, just not the “used”.

[/b]Martelli thought that they were being used and lied to, so he told him that they weren't going to release him.

If he had told Martelli that he was NOT coming back, does that mean Martelli would not have allowed him to attend the summer courses on scholarship?

If he wasn’t coming back, then there would be no reason for St Joe’s to pay his way for the summer session.

[quote="NICU, post:12, topic:2923"][/b]Martelli thought that they were being used and lied to, so he told him that they weren't going to release him.[/quote]

If he wasn’t coming back, then there would be no reason for St Joe’s to pay his way for the summer session.

That was my understanding as well. He said he was coming back to remain on scholarship, which meant his summer classes were paid for.

[quote="NICU, post:12, topic:2923"][/b]Martelli thought that they were being used and lied to, so he told him that they weren't going to release him.[/quote]

That was my understanding as well. He said he was coming back to remain on scholarship, which meant his summer classes were paid for.

Why wouldn’t a school pay for a kid to finish his summer coarsed to get his degree? I find that absolutely dirty. I’m not singling out St. Joe’s either. If this happens at other institutions, then they are seriously lacking in integrety as well.

I could understand not paying for the kid to go in the following fall, but come on. He just got done playing for 2 years at your school and he only needs a class or two.

It’s just low. >:(

This Todd O’Brien kid was just on ESPN radio (Harrisburg area is 95.3 FM).

He said he was not suspended for 8 games for stealing a laptop. He said that he sat while the incident was being investigated. Then, he rejoined the team after the investigation cleared him of any involvement in the incident.