Are we deeper than Wisconsin?

I’m not trying to dish out Kool Aid, I’m just checking out the stats and they’re speaking for themselves.

Penn State has 7 players that average 7 or more points a game
Wisconsin has 5 players that average over 7 points.

Now I know that they’re getting huge numbers from Hughes and Leuer but that high production wont last forever.

I’m thinking outloud, tell me why I’m wrong :wink:

[quote=“NGameday, post:1, topic:583”]I’m not trying to dish out Kool Aid, I’m just checking out the stats and they’re speaking for themselves.

Penn State has 7 players that average 7 or more points a game
Wisconsin has 5 players that average over 7 points.

Now I know that they’re getting huge numbers from Hughes and Leuer but that high production wont last forever.

I’m thinking outloud, tell me why I’m wrong ;)[/quote]

Maybe according to that statistic, but Wisconsin is always scary. Bo Ryan could have a team of 4 players and most big ten teams would have a rough time against them. Wisconsin has also played against a much harder schedule so far.

Wisky also has two guys averaging over 16 ppg and another at 9.9 ppg.

From the Minny Game Notes we were ranked 10th of 11 teams in returning points per game and rebounds per game from last year, Wisconsin I believe was 9th. Sounds like a pretty even matchup.

From the Minny Game Notes we were ranked 10th of 11 teams in returning points per game and rebounds per game from last year, Wisconsin I believe was 9th. Sounds like a pretty even matchup.

PSU is not a very deep team. ED’s rotation is 7 guys. Ott will struggle mightily against the improved competition in the big ten.

I’m not sure why Cam has been relegated to near walk-on status, especially with Babb’s struggles against quality competition. ED must be sending a message to Cam that he should transfer.

???

So if any scholarship athlete doesn’t get significant minutes in a game, you theorize he’s being told he should transfer? I don’t think so.

Good God.

[quote="FanofPSU"]I'm not sure why Cam has been relegated to near walk-on status, especially with Babb's struggles against quality competition. ED must be sending a message to Cam that he should transfer.[/quote]

Good God.

Maybe he’s saying, “I have to see more from you in practice if you are going to get more playing time.”

[quote="FanofPSU"]I'm not sure why Cam has been relegated to near walk-on status, especially with Babb's struggles against quality competition. ED must be sending a message to Cam that he should transfer.[/quote]

Good God.

Maybe he’s saying, “I have to see more from you in practice if you are going to get more playing time.”

Lar - Cam’s situation is different than a freshman scholarship player not getting minutes. Look at the backcourt in the next few years.

My only point regarding Woodyard is that he must be seeing the writing on the wall. With Buie coming in next year and taking at least 25 minutes per game in the backcourt, Cam’s days as a contributor at PSU are probably over. If Cam is not playing this year when Babb struggles, how will he play in a Buie, Battle, Frazier backcourt.

We’ll see how it plays out, and I like Cam’s game, but its a numbers game in the backcourt, and its readily apparent he’s the odd man out.

Good God.

Lar - Cam’s situation is different than a freshman scholarship player not getting minutes. Look at the backcourt in the next few years.

My only point regarding Woodyard is that he must be seeing the writing on the wall. With Buie coming in next year and taking at least 25 minutes per game in the backcourt, Cam’s days as a contributor at PSU are probably over. If Cam is not playing this year when Babb struggles, how will he play in a Buie, Battle, Frazier backcourt.

We’ll see how it plays out, and I like Cam’s game, but its a numbers game in the backcourt, and its readily apparent he’s the odd man out.

Even if the numbers turn out so he is the “odd man out”, that’s one helluva long way from being sent a message to transfer.

Are you still in school? Take logic. This is a false dichotomy.

[quote="FanofPSU"]However, the minute distribution of Babb v. Woodyard is sending the message: "transfer if you want playing time in college basketball."[/quote]

Are you senile? Transfer to a mid or low-major program like Loyola, MD (near his hometown) where the talent level is lower and he’ll get minutes.

My point is that is he wants to play meaningful college basketball minutes, he needs to go to a lower tier school.

I may be senile, I believe that is a difficult thing for one to self-assess.

However, I will help you out a bit. Other options:

1. Practice better
  2. Work harder
  3. Go to class
  4. Have a better attitude

And you will play more.

Etc.

All those kinds of things could be the message being sent by not playing. I am not saying Cam needs to do any of those things. I know nothing about his situation.

All I am doing is calling out the stupidity lack of logic in saying that not playing in a few games is a message to transfer.

[quote="FanofPSU"]However, the minute distribution of Babb v. Woodyard is sending the message: "transfer if you want playing time in college basketball."[/quote]

Are you senile? Transfer to a mid or low-major program like Loyola, MD (near his hometown) where the talent level is lower and he’ll get minutes.

My point is that is he wants to play meaningful college basketball minutes, he needs to go to a lower tier school.

1. Practice better
  2. Work harder
  3. Go to class

And you will play more.

Etc.

All those kinds of things could be the message being sent by not playing. I am not saying Cam needs to do any of those things. I know nothing about his situation.

All I am doing is calling out the stupidity lack of logic in saying that not playing in a few games is a message to transfer.

Its been more than a few games - look at his minutes against quality competition vs minutes in crappy OOC games. But let’s see how it plays out the rest of this year and next.

1. Practice better
  2. Work harder
  3. Go to class

And you will play more.

Etc.

Its been more than a few games - look at his minutes against quality competition vs minutes in crappy OOC games. But let’s see how it plays out the rest of this year and next.

I think you are still missing the point, which is:

==>> Not Playing Does Not Necessarily Equal “A Message To Transfer”

Nothing before now, now, or in the future changes that.

Where is Buie going to get 25 minutes per game next year?

1. Practice better
  2. Work harder
  3. Go to class

And you will play more.

Etc.

We are talking into the wind. You are missing my main point - if Cam ain’t playing this year, he sure as heck ain’t playing next year when Buie comes into town. Its not about being told to transfer, its about getting an opportunity to play/start college basketball. I don’t think its going to happen for Cam at PSU, and if he wants to play college basketball, he’s got to consider the future, and (barring injuries or a dramatic skill level change) the only option is transferring.

Buie, if he’s anywhere near as good as advertised, is getting 25 min a game in the backcourt. He’s a top 100 prospect.

1. Practice better
  2. Work harder
  3. Go to class

And you will play more.

Etc.

We are talking into the wind. You are missing my main point - if Cam ain’t playing this year, he sure as heck ain’t playing next year when Buie comes into town. Its not about being told to transfer, its about getting an opportunity to play/start college basketball. I don’t think its going to happen for Cam at PSU, and if he wants to play college basketball, he’s got to consider the future, and (barring injuries or a dramatic skill level change) the only option is transferring.

Buie, if he’s anywhere near as good as advertised, is getting 25 min a game in the backcourt. He’s a top 100 prospect.

Make up your mind. In your first post you said “ED must be sending a message to Cam that he should transfer”, now you are saying “Its not about being told to transfer”. ???

1. Practice better
  2. Work harder
  3. Go to class

And you will play more.

Etc.

Make up your mind. In your first post you said “ED must be sending a message to Cam that he should transfer”, now you are saying “Its not about being told to transfer”. ???

Lar,

You should be better than this. If you read the entirety of my posts (instead of taking distorted tidbits) you would see that my point is that ED is sending an implied message through playing time distribution. Many different ways and methods to send a message…

1. Practice better
  2. Work harder
  3. Go to class

And you will play more.

Etc.

Lar,

You should be better than this. If you read the entirety of my posts (instead of taking distorted tidbits) you would see that my point is that ED is sending an implied message through playing time distribution. Many different ways and methods to send a message…

Better than what? I haven’t a clue what has you so upset with me. You have failed miserably in trying to get your message across.

I read the entirety of your posts and I still had no clue what the message was that you were trying to convey.

Your first message suggests that you think that ED’s telling the kid to transfer. I thought that was clear. But your later message says “it’s not about being told to transfer”, which at least to me suggests you are backing off from your original position. If you weren’t backing off then wtf were you saying.

Now your most recent post seems to be reverting to (or reinforcing) your original position that you think that ED wants Cam to transfer.

If that’s true, then I must point you directly to Tim’s post where he says

“==>> Not Playing Does Not Necessarily Equal ‘A Message To Transfer’”.

Please explain how you can dismiss all of the other potential messages that DeChellis may be trying to send to Woodyard?

Maybe FanofPSU was a little strong in suggesting “Ed’s message”, but Cam’s situatiion not good. I see Buie playing at least 20 minutes per game next year. Why not? Good handle, great D, good shot, and an ability to finish at the hole. We’re a little short on that last attribute, and that’s one big reason he gets minutes, IMO. I see him averaging 10+ ppg next year.

It would be nice if UncleLar, Tim, and other would cease highlighting every message when posting in the dialogue of this topic, even a senior citizen such as I can follow along.

This topic does not deserve any discussion and “Penn State Hoops” would be better off if personal agendas and suppostions were controllled. Just my opinion.

PAP '58