PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

AP columnist on NCAA reform

Just a good read

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2011/08/10/sports/ncaafootball/AP-FBC-Tim-Dahlberg-081011.html?_r=1&hp

Coaches’ salaries should be the least of the NCAA’s worries. There are so many ways to “pad” a salary in which the NCAA has zero control that it’d be a waste of time.

Plus, a lessor salary isn’t going to suddenly make a slimy coach suddenly repent.

I still think that the first thing that the NCAA ought to do is make the maximum number of practice hours equal to or less than the minimum number of credit/hours for full time enrollment.

I see your point Tim. BUT, I think the NCAA needs to “care” about "actual" hours. I believe the “practice” time rule is obeyed in a lawyer’s sense.
By “actual” time I mean “everything else football related.” Tapeing, putting on/off equipment, watching films, meetings, weight lifting, conditioning,. ind. workouts, medical rehab, whirlpools, studying playbook, etc etc, etc.
I think the “actual hours” are very large…several times the amount of on field “official practice hours.”

I would guess many other sports (besides football) have an “actual hours” issue. For example, I 've seen college basketball practice where the entire team have been in the gym shooting and working on drills for approx. an hour…THEN the HC walks out, gathers the players together, looks at his/her watch and blows his whistle! I get the feeling that is the “official” beginning of practice for the NCAA rules.

A couple years ago the NCAA conducted a study among student-athletes asking what they’d like to change or improve and, if memory serves, the top answer was that they wanted to live more like regular students and have more time available to do the things that regular students do. On the other hand, many of the most respected collegiate coaches have complained that NCAA practice time rules prevent them from spending the time the coaches feel is important to better control/influence student-athletes actions on the playing field/court and off.

I think this statement is way off key…

Last year, only 22 of the 337 Division I schools generated more revenue than they had expenses....

…“The marketplace for salaries is the marketplace for salaries, and everyone understands that,” NCAA President Mark Emmert said.

How can it be a true marketplace, when so many programs are losing money and being subsidised by the school?

This is a case where so many people, ESPECIALLY NCAA president Mark Emmert, are getting fat off the cash cow, therefore sees nothing wrong with the currnet setup.

I still think one of the biggest steps to make is taking away the non-profit status of these programs.

[quote=“tundra, post:4, topic:2595”]I see your point Tim. BUT, I think the NCAA needs to “care” about "actual" hours. I believe the “practice” time rule is obeyed in a lawyer’s sense.
By “actual” time I mean “everything else football related.” Tapeing, putting on/off equipment, watching films, meetings, weight lifting, conditioning,. ind. workouts, medical rehab, whirlpools, studying playbook, etc etc, etc.
I think the “actual hours” are very large…several times the amount of on field “official practice hours.”

I would guess many other sports (besides football) have an “actual hours” issue. For example, I 've seen college basketball practice where the entire team have been in the gym shooting and working on drills for approx. an hour…THEN the HC walks out, gathers the players together, looks at his/her watch and blows his whistle! I get the feeling that is the “official” beginning of practice for the NCAA rules.[/quote]

Heck, how many football programs run a “camp” the week before practice starts? they all do (down to the pee wee level). Everyone’s stretching the rules, and it starts WAY before college.

NCAA rethinking basketball recruiting model: Council agrees on recruiting model | NCAA.com