Any Word on who the New Targets May Be?

Just wondering if anybody has a good grasp on who the staff is targeting? I remember reading that they were up north looking at Majok Majok…any others?

check out the recruiting thread and lar’s matrix. That should give you a few names

Last place in the conference, 4 players quit the team, and the prized prospect trying to get out of his LOI. To me, Babb, Edwards, and Frazier were potentially the three future stars of this team, and now two of them have left.

Here’s a new flash. The incoming HS prospects have already been sliced and diced several times over; only the less desirable and the bottom of the barrel remain. Do not expect PSU, of all teams, to somehow find a diamond in the rough at this point on the calendar.

What an incredibly discouraging conclusion to an incredibly discouraging season. Glad to find out that the coach had absolutely nothing to do with any of this turmoil and defeat.

I thought this rumor was put to bed?

[quote="LarryJoe, post:3, topic:1022"]........and the prized prospect trying to get out of his LOI.[/quote]

I thought this rumor was put to bed?

It has been put to bed, but that won’t stop the people with huge e-voices from jamming whatever they think down our throats.

I haven’t kept up on the daily news. Just found out about all of these events this morning. OK, let’s assume that the there is no LOI issue whatsoever. I was mistaken. Does that really change the point or the focus of my previous post?

No, it doesn’t change your point all that much but if statements like that don’t go unchallenged they get picked up by others as the gospel truth. Also, I wouldn’t exactly characterize a walk-on graduating and going to dental school as “quitting the team”.

And is that a point that is new to this board? Pretty much every poster here wants ED gone, we don’t really need more posts to focus on that much.

I want ED out, I know the numbers, but let’s focus on what we do have. We do not have any power to extinguish ED, so you have two options - get off this board and stop following PSU hoops out of frustration, or move on and look at the roster that we do have. Pick your poison.

Thanks for explaining my options to me.

[quote="LarryJoe, post:6, topic:1022"]I haven't kept up on the daily news. Just found out about all of these events this morning. OK, let's assume that the there is no LOI issue whatsoever. I was mistaken. Does that really change the point or the focus of my previous post?[/quote] I know the numbers, but let's focus on what we do have. We do not have any power to extinguish ED, so you have two options - get off this board and stop following PSU hoops out of frustration, or move on and look at the roster that we do have. Pick your poison.

Amen to that!

[quote="LarryJoe, post:6, topic:1022"]I haven't kept up on the daily news. Just found out about all of these events this morning. OK, let's assume that the there is no LOI issue whatsoever. I was mistaken. Does that really change the point or the focus of my previous post?[/quote] And is that a point that is new to this board? Pretty much every poster here wants ED gone, we don't really need more posts to focus on that much.

I want ED out, I know the numbers, but let’s focus on what we do have. We do not have any power to extinguish ED, so you have two options - get off this board and stop following PSU hoops out of frustration, or move on and look at the roster that we do have. Pick your poison.

I agree wholeheartedly…it’s very difficult to argue that Ed “deserves” to be here for another year and there’s plenty of ammo to support the notion of firing him; however, the decision has been made that he’ll be here next year…can’t say I agree with it…but that’s out of my hands. I can’t wait until next season because I enjoy PSU and I enjoy college basketball.

The topic/title of this post was in reference to “who are the new targets”. The main focus of “my post” was the second paragraph, regarding the idea that we would now go out and recruit 4 new players. There are suggestions by some under this topic that we could end up better off, depending upon who the new recurits might be. I feel that is very, very unrealistic and unlikely.

I’ve read through this topic, and no one else had commented on the possible difficulty of recruiting at this juncture of the calendar. You may all be well aware of this, but the other posts simply do not indicate that this is so.

My post had nothing to do with a player, who was clearly not part of the long term basketball picture, deciding to go to dental school. Nor was it focused on the coach, although I did include my opinion at the end. My post was on topic, and represented new information, at least as far as this particular board was concerned. If you disagree, and think that we can still go out and get blue chippers to replace those scholarships, I am interested in that discussion. Your “admonishment” on my opinion does not really interest me.

[quote=“LarryJoe, post:12, topic:1022”]The topic/title of this post was in reference to “who are the new targets”. The main focus of “my post” was the second paragraph, regarding the idea that we would now go out and recruit 4 new players. There are suggestions by some under this topic that we could end up better off, depending upon who the new recurits might be. I feel that is very, very unrealistic and unlikely.

I’ve read through this topic, and no one else had commented on the possible difficulty of recruiting at this juncture of the calendar. You may all be well aware of this, but the other posts simply do not indicate that this is so.

My post had nothing to do with a player, who was clearly not part of the long term basketball picture, deciding to go to dental school. Nor was it focused on the coach, although I did include my opinion at the end. My post was on topic, and represented new information, at least as far as this particular board was concerned. If you disagree, and think that we can still go out and get blue chippers to replace those scholarships, I am interested in that discussion. Your “admonishment” on my opinion does not really interest me.[/quote]

You are right that it will be hard to recruit right now. I honestly wonder if the coaching staff should try to fill just 2 of the 3 scholarships. Otts scholarship was originally going to be with the Battle class might be just worth keeping it there. This season was bad, next year is a question mark. If the coaching staff can get some positive momentum next season in wins, recruiting could be easier. Immediate playing time is an easy sale I think for coaches.

To Larry Joe…There is “always hope.” It is NOT hopeless! PSU is known (OK, maybe via JoePA) nation wide. PSU is one of the most beautiful campuses in the nation! We play in the BigTen11. The BigTen11 TV network brings many areas of the country closer because parents can watch so many games! Coaches of losing teams usually promote “opportunity” for immediate PT and/or stardom. Most JC and HS recruits WANT OPPORTUNITY.

Recruiting is never easy. There is competition BUT good players CAN be recruited and turned into pros. College Coaches are “Sales” jobs!

[quote="LarryJoe, post:12, topic:1022"]The topic/title of this post was in reference to "who are the new targets". The main focus of "my post" was the second paragraph, regarding the idea that we would now go out and recruit 4 new players. There are suggestions by some under this topic that we could end up better off, depending upon who the new recurits might be. I feel that is very, very unrealistic and unlikely.

My post had nothing to do with a player, who was clearly not part of the long term basketball picture, deciding to go to dental school. Nor was it focused on the coach, although I did include my opinion at the end. My post was on topic, and represented new information, at least as far as this particular board was concerned. If you disagree, and think that we can still go out and get blue chippers to replace those scholarships, I am interested in that discussion. Your “admonishment” on my opinion does not really interest me.[/quote]

Immediate playing time is an easy sale I think for coaches.

We’ve been saying that for 7 years and counting.

[quote="LarryJoe, post:12, topic:1022"]The topic/title of this post was in reference to "who are the new targets". The main focus of "my post" was the second paragraph, regarding the idea that we would now go out and recruit 4 new players. There are suggestions by some under this topic that we could end up better off, depending upon who the new recurits might be. I feel that is very, very unrealistic and unlikely.

There is no EASY SALE in recruiting. There are many schools selling silimar items (some even better items.) But Immediate PT is a Saleable Item. A Salemans (coach) just must close the deal.

There is no EASY SALE in recruiting. There are many schools selling silimar items (some even better items.) But Immediate PT is a Saleable Item. A Salemans (coach) just must close the deal.

As far as big men Ed hasn’t been able to recruit any solid ones in 7 years. Why would anyone think he can all of a sudden start now?

Once again, some of you continue to not read or to not listen to what is being said. My comments had nothing to do with the typical rigors of recruiting, the competion, the nuances, the problems specific to each university, or the idea of giving up hope. We all know that it is tough to recruit blue-chip basketball players at PSU, but that it can be done, it has been done, and hope should never be set aside.

I am talking about trying to go in and recurit after every other university is done! This was brought about by the sudden availablily of scholarships at precisely the wrong time. Even Duke would struggle to land a blue-chipper after everyone has been picked over and other universities are essentially done!

Another commenter said that he has been talking about this subject for 7 years. I can’t figure out why. Why would he have been discussing, for 7 years, the problems associated with 4 players dropping their scholarships shortly after the principal recruiting window had closed? Has this personally happened to him before? I surely do not recall this event ever happening to PSU before. There were some defections under JD, but I don’t ever recall 4 at the end of a season.

[quote=“LarryJoe, post:18, topic:1022”]Once again, some of you continue to not read or to not listen to what is being said. My comments had nothing to do with the typical rigors of recruiting, the competion, the nuances, the problems specific to each university, or the idea of giving up hope. We all know that it is tough to recruit blue-chip basketball players at PSU, but that it can be done, it has been done, and hope should never be set aside.

I am talking about trying to go in and recurit after every other university is done! This was brought about by the sudden availablily of scholarships at precisely the wrong time. Even Duke would struggle to land a blue-chipper after everyone has been picked over and other universities are essentially done!

Another commenter said that he has been talking about this subject for 7 years. I can’t figure out why. Why would he have been discussing, for 7 years, the problems associated with 4 players dropping their scholarships shortly after the principal recruiting window had closed? Has this personally happened to him before? I surely do not recall this event ever happening to PSU before. There were some defections under JD, but I don’t ever recall 4 at the end of a season.[/quote]

OK…NOW I see your point.
BUT, we still try…
I mentioned “transfers” in another thread.
That’s one way to “beat the system”…get better transfers IN than are going OUT :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“LarryJoe, post:18, topic:1022”]Once again, some of you continue to not read or to not listen to what is being said. My comments had nothing to do with the typical rigors of recruiting, the competion, the nuances, the problems specific to each university, or the idea of giving up hope. We all know that it is tough to recruit blue-chip basketball players at PSU, but that it can be done, it has been done, and hope should never be set aside.

Another commenter said that he has been talking about this subject for 7 years. I can’t figure out why. Why would he have been discussing, for 7 years, the problems associated with 4 players dropping their scholarships shortly after the principal recruiting window had closed? Has this personally happened to him before? I surely do not recall this event ever happening to PSU before. There were some defections under JD, but I don’t ever recall 4 at the end of a season.[/quote]The quote feature is kind of cool. Has been around for a while. Not each poster in this thread is responding to something you said. They may be responding to another poster involved in this thread. :wink: