PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Any practice observations

Interested to hear thoughts from people who were there.

Travis was close to Frazier in one of those baseline, foul line, half court, other foul line, other baseline sprint relays. That’s gotta be good. I’m not sure if he won, but either way it was very close between them and Timmy looked like he was giving it his all.

I looked at Alexis and Ackerman figure Alexis might play more because of his slightly bigger frame and decent looking jump hook. Ackerman is not as scrawny as I expected him to be. He reminds me of Jon Leuer, but that’s just his head and neck size.

Trey Lewis played in the scrimmage situations mostly on the same team as three walkons and Graham. Trey looks good from the arc, handling the ball and trying to get penetration. Montminy and Collela looked good hitting from three point land. I don’t see Trey rebounding as well as Talor and Timmy have the past couple years.

The other team had Frazier, Oliver, Sasa, Travis and Glover. No surprise that they won in the final 8 minute scrimmage. In fact, that might be a good starting lineup–decent size, four who will shoot from the perimeter. The savvy players on the team. Trey and Graham off the bench until Woodyard and Marshall return when the playing time will be further juggled

Newbill and Woodyard didn’t participate but Newbill sure looks like a great athlete for merely walking around with an ice pack on his shoulder. I look at him and think, “that guy has to be a great player.”

Thank You MM… :slight_smile:

Anymore opinions?? What was the size of the crowd??

I’ll have more stuff up on BSD in a bit, but the crowd was pretty large. I’m not sure on the exact number but I’d guess in the 200-300 range. Then again I can’t count.

WONDERFUL report from BSD:…Thanks

http://www.blackshoediaries.com/2011/10/23/2508155/penn-state-baskeball-practice-report#storyjump

I agree with the article. Based on everything I know, it was very close to something I would have written myself

No “CENTER” listed on the roster???

Trendy “modern” lingo…nothing more.

A big question for me…do we have any depth on this roster?

I have the same concern. I think a couple of walk-ons will get PT.
Playing fast with ulimate hustle usually produces fouls.

[quote=“tundra, post:5, topic:2749”]WONDERFUL report from BSD:…Thanks

http://www.blackshoediaries.com/2011/10/23/2508155/penn-state-baskeball-practice-report#storyjump[/quote]

Was just about to post the link here. Thanks

Anybody guess as to the real heigh of Travis.

6’6"

[quote="Cletus11, post:11, topic:2749"]Anybody guess as to the real heigh of Travis.[/quote] 6'6"

Im 6’4ish so 6’6 might be right.

And I actually think this team ought to be decent off the bench. Maybe not quality this year, but considering we were almost a 6 man team last year I think playing 7-8 guys could really make a difference down the road.

[quote="tundra, post:5, topic:2749"]WONDERFUL report from BSD:..................Thanks

http://www.blackshoediaries.com/2011/10/23/2508155/penn-state-baskeball-practice-report#storyjump[/quote]

Was just about to post the link here. Thanks

Nice job. It looks encouraging. Guard position looks good to me. And while Brooks, DJ and AJ are gone, Billy O., Graham, Sasa, Travis and the two frosh centers may fill in nicely. Glover appears to be a nice pickup as well. Might not be a pretty start, but it wasn’t for the graduating front line either their first year’s playing. It really matters, IMO, if the bigs can be equal to the bigs at their beginning of their PSU career. If not, it’ll be a long season. Hopefully, there’s some defensive inside presence. Seems to me it has to be from Graham, Ackerman or Alexis. Or can Travis play big like Cornley/Claxton? That’d help.

[quote="Cletus11, post:11, topic:2749"]Anybody guess as to the real heigh of Travis.[/quote] 6'6"

[size=12pt]Im 6’4ish [/size] so 6’6 might be right.

And I actually think this team ought to be decent off the bench. Maybe not quality this year, but considering we were almost a 6 man team last year I think playing 7-8 guys could really make a difference down the road.

Do you have any eligibility? Then GET OUT THERE !!! :wink:

How was the pizza?

Lewis - vocal leader and a great body. He was coaching guys during drills and really encouraging everyone. He’s going to be a nice player down the road. Pretty good speed and a nice looking jumpshot. I agree he’s not going to be the rebounder we’ve seen in more recent guards (but he shouldn’t have to be).

Alexis - Great size! He’s built up top and should provide some rebounding/interior help. Offensively he was a little awkward but I think he’s going to be a really nice player by his jr season. He’s so big he doesn’t quite have his legs yet.

Ross - I’d compare him to a mix between Claxton and Brooks. He’s a great athlete that can really run and he’s got good size. I think he’ll be a nice 3. A slasher/rebounder that has the ability to get a lot of garbage/hustle buckets. As long as he’s got a good motor he’ll help a lot this year.

Glover - Unfortunately I didn’t see him too much. Had a nice jumper, good size, good handle. From what I saw, he was really solid. Almost like a David Jackson guy in that he was really good at everything, but didn’t really wow you with anything. Quality player. Wouldn’t be surprised at all to see him start at the 2 guard.

Ackerman - I really think a redshirt would do him well. He’s so long and lean (with some skills) that I think he can really develop into a good player in time but I’m not sure I’d put him ahead of Alexis (great size) or Graham/Sasa (experience).

It was a fun practice to attend and the coaches were on their butts! Constant coaching/teaching and encouraging. I love Keith Urgo.

I think that’s all.

Some decent insight about practice from the FOS board

As well as a thread accusing Adam Fisher of recruiting off campus and contacting recruits during eval periods.

When it gets posted on FOS message boards I guess it means the cat’s out of the bag. They’re kinda like EF Hutton over there…

:wink: