Any changes for Illinois game?

In the wake of the Michigan meltdown, what changes do you expect to see in the Nittany Lion’s lineup and style of play for the upcoming game at Illinois?

I wouldn’t be surprised to AO start. Also wouldn’t be surprised to see a lot of three guard offense and some more zone.

Thoughts?

[quote=“Great Santini, post:1, topic:627”]In the wake of the Michigan meltdown, what changes do you expect to see in the Nittany Lion’s lineup and style of play for the upcoming game at Illinois?

I wouldn’t be surprised to AO start. Also wouldn’t be surprised to see a lot of three guard offense and some more zone.

Thoughts?[/quote]

I’d like to see Woodyard get a little more of Edwards’ minutes. At least until $Bill adjusts a little bit better. I like Edwards getting minutes but sometimes I think he gets just a few too many. It will pay off down the road but I don’t feel like we are in a complete rebuild mode right now. I think an interesting lineup would be Battle, Babb, Woodyard, DJ, and Brooks. It’s not like we’re getting any interior O or D anyway so why not let our best shot blocker see if he can alter a few shots.

I’d also like to see some 1-3-1

[quote="Great Santini, post:1, topic:627"]In the wake of the Michigan meltdown, what changes do you expect to see in the Nittany Lion's lineup and style of play for the upcoming game at Illinois?

Thoughts?[/quote]

I’d like to see Woodyard get a little more of Edwards’ minutes. At least until $Bill adjusts a little bit better. I like Edwards getting minutes but sometimes I think he gets just a few too many. It will pay off down the road but I don’t feel like we are in a complete rebuild mode right now. I think an interesting lineup would be Battle, Babb, Woodyard, DJ, and Brooks. It’s not like we’re getting any interior O or D anyway so why not let our best shot blocker see if he can alter a few shots.

I’d also like to see some 1-3-1

I’d like to see that lineup too, but would also like to see Frazier instead of Cam. But like the front line. Can Brooks cover Tisdale? I’d like to see. Like 1-3-1 also. Very tough on most offenses. Interferes with the wing pass so many teams like to make to start their halfcourt offense. Michigan used to trap Battle.

I think we need to be more “solid with the ball.” Avoid the bad turnovers. Will this slow us down? Maybe, I don’t know. I think we will see more of Frazier. Not sure how his ankle is but the team played better when he was starting.

With the Illini’s height we’ll have to start a big. Start Ott in place of Jones. :’( Somehow someway don’t let Illini sit outside and shoot non contested 3’s

Ott has played well with the minutes he has received. Why not play the best basketball player to play at Penn State since Andrew Ott Senior?

Illinois is a lot better outside shooting team this season than in the past three seasons. In the recent past, teams could beat them by just throwing a simple 2-3 zone at them and watch them chuck. Now, Richardson, McCamey, Keller, Paul, Cole can all hit from long-range, while Davis and Tisdale have been money from mid-range (especially Tis).

They have now become a solid jump shooting team and will not go inside as much as the Illini Nation would like them too. McCamey, Paul and even Tisdale are beginning to change that a bit, especially during the 2nd half of their comeback at Bloomington on Saturday night when they were attacking the rim and going to the line quite a bit.

As for what PSU should throw at them to rattle them? Indiana just played a real aggressive man defense that forced Illinois to turn the ball over a lot in the first half. I think the Illini were just not into it as much as the Hoosiers that first 20:00 and didn’t match their intensity until well into the 2nd half. The Illini will be much more with it in Champaign on Tuesday.

You don’t want to get into too much of a running game with the Illini, because all five of their guys can run the floor and convert either at the rim or quickly swing the ball around to find the open man for an uncontested shot. They have become a very dangerous offensive team when they want to be. Play an aggressive man and try and get tough with them and hope the refs don’t call too many fouls. Sounds simple, but you just can’t…I repeat…you just can’t give any of the Illini open looks.

On offense, Georgia got real physical down low with the Illini and were very successful in doing so. So far in conference, the Illini have not had to face any tough inside presence (NW/Iowa/Indy). Not sure if that will change come Tuesday. But Ott, Jones, Brooks, DJ and maybe Edwards have to try and muscle their way in the paint to face the tall timbers of the Illini. They play tall, not so much big, and can be pushed around a little (though Tis has impressed me with his added toughness this season). The Illini do have a tendency to get a little lax in guarding the perimeter as well this season. Not quite the lockdown D that they played when Chet Frazier or even Dee/Deron/Luther was around, but if the Nits can move the ball, they will find openings as NW and Indy both did in their games. Babb seemed to find his shot in the Michigan game and I would love to see Woodyard make a cameo to aid the perimeter attack.

In their shorts man-to-man on D and develop an inside presence which will open the arc (and maybe get one of their bigs in foul trouble to boot) on O.

Bottom line…not expecting a win in this one…but the Illini really haven’t played one of the toughies yet in conference, so it’s tough to judge where they truly sit. NW took them to OT at home, Indy had them by 15 in the 2nd half. Only Iowa was run off the court by the Illini. So while it would surprise me, based on PSU’s recent play, it wouldn’t shock me to see PSU pull another win out of Assembly Hall.

Go 3 guards with Battle, Frazier, Babb. Need 1 center to handle Tisdale. I think I remember Ott playing well against him last year. The other spot… That’s our problem.

Brooks: I really get annoyed watching him play. I couldn’t believe ED didn’t yank him against UM when he gave up an “and-1” on a guy he easily could have given a hard foul to make sure he didn’t get the bucket. He doesn’t want to play inside and he doesn’t shoot well enough to play outside. If he wanted to play inside that little jump hook would get him 10+ per game. Frustrating.

Jackson: Is it confidence? Or is he just not aggressive enough? I don’t know. He can do everything as a 3/4 except maybe penetration, but doesn’t do it.

Edwards: He’s going to be a good one. He’s going to struggle, but his upside seems a lot higher than Brooks and Jackson who seem to have maxed out.

Sasa: I think he’ll be a contributer next year, but if he doesn’t get any time this year that could change. Work on D and learn how to finish against bigs without being able to elevate.

Oliver: No idea. I haven’t seen enough to make a decision.