PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Anthony Hubbard

Admissions rejected his application. Evidently he is on track to graduate from his community college, but admissions would not accept his math classes. Yet, Iowa and Nebraska did.

What a shame.

You can bet if he was a football player, and Joe wanted him, he’d be admitted.

[quote=“Tom, post:2, topic:2319”]What a shame.

You can bet if he was a football player, and Joe wanted him, he’d be admitted.[/quote]

Really? Like how many other football players. How about other sports, do you know of many JUCO players?

Wasn’t that long ago PSU had two JUCO linemen. I’m sure there were no doubts about their transcripts.

Omar Thomas all over again.

I’m assuming theres no link to this and you just heard it from a source (or you are the source, based on your post count)?

IT’S ENRICO PALAZZO!!!

I doubt we would ever see a link to actual story but I can see it being true. Well Iowa and Nebraska are fine institutions if he commits to one of them. Hopefully the staff was prepared if something like this happened.

OK, 2 linemen out of the past how many years? And getting those linemen made such a big news story why? Can you name any others in the past 20 years?

Didn’t the basketball team also have 2 JuCos recently? Do you want to break that down to percentages?

Do you need to take a jab at the football team and Paterno every chance you get?

Wasn't that long ago PSU had two JUCO linemen. I'm sure there were no doubts about their transcripts.

OK, 2 linemen out of the past how many years? And getting those linemen made such a big news story why? Can you name any others in the past 20 years?

Didn’t the basketball team also have 2 JuCos recently? Do you want to break that down to percentages?

Do you need to take a jab at the football team and Paterno every chance you get?

I’m not sure how you interpret that as a jab at the football team. I think Tom’s dead on. If Paterno really wants a kid, I bet he gets one of those very hard to lay your hands on special admits. For DeChellis, it’s not so easy.

I’m not sure how you interpret that as a jab at Paterno. Obviously, it was a jab at the admin and how ED still doesn’t have the support he (or any major conference D-1 program coach) needs.

[quote="Tom, post:4, topic:2319"]Wasn't that long ago PSU had two JUCO linemen. I'm sure there were no doubts about their transcripts.[/quote]

I’m not sure how you interpret that as a jab at the football team. I think Tom’s dead on. If Paterno really wants a kid, I bet he gets one of those very hard to lay your hands on special admits. For DeChellis, it’s not so easy.

Well, if you think so Lar, I guess it should be written in stone.

Like I said, it seems that the football team and the basketball team has had the same amount of JUCOs in the past few years. When you account for football’s 85 schoalrships compared to basketball’s 12 schoalrships, you can see who has had the advantage in JUCO admissions !!!

BTW, both of those linemen were 3-star recruits. In a time of “need” at the line, with a lot more highly touted prospects available, these were the ones that made admissions. Parker and the first David Jackson were both 3-star recruits. Sounds a little off that the big-bad football team is pulling the smae type of recruits as the lowly basketball team, doesn’t it?

****CORRECTION, the hoops team has had 3(THREE) JUCOs, compared to the football team’s 2 !!!

But, I’m still sure that there are those who will cry foul for an injustice that has never even occured !!! ::slight_smile:

Actually, we’ve had 4. Sky King.

[quote="Tom, post:4, topic:2319"]Wasn't that long ago PSU had two JUCO linemen. I'm sure there were no doubts about their transcripts.[/quote]

Well, if you think so Lar, I guess it should be written in stone.

Like I said, it seems that the football team and the basketball team has had the same amount of JUCOs in the past few years. When you account for football’s 85 schoalrships compared to basketball’s 12 schoalrships, you can see who has had the advantage in JUCO admissions !!!

BTW, both of those linemen were 3-star recruits. In a time of “need” at the line, with a lot more highly touted prospects available, these were the ones that made admissions. Parker and the first David Jackson were both 3-star recruits. Sounds a little off that the big-bad football team is pulling the smae type of recruits as the lowly basketball team, doesn’t it?

****CORRECTION, the hoops team has had 3(THREE) JUCOs, compared to the football team’s 2 !!!

But, I’m still sure that there are those who will cry foul for an injustice that has never even occured !!! ::slight_smile:

You are completely missing the point. NO ONE is pointing fingers at the football team, or Paterno, and suggesting that they are doing something wrong.

Here is what I think I KNOW (stat men beware)…DeChellis takes a much higher % of JC players than Paterno.
What does that PROVE…well only that … DeChellis takes a much higher % of JC players than Paterno.

How anyone can turn this data into something else is beyond me. Just seems like more hoop Apologist talk to me.

[quote=“tundra, post:15, topic:2319”]Here is what I think I KNOW (stat men beware)…DeChellis takes a much higher % of JC players than Paterno.
What does that PROVE…well only that … DeChellis takes a much higher % of JC players than Paterno.

How anyone can turn this data into something else is beyond me. Just seems like more hoop Apologist talk to me.[/quote]

What I think you will also find is that DeChellis take a smaller number of JC players than probably any other school in the Big Ten (except maybe NW).

Give me a minute and I’ll check the other rosters (although that won’t prove anything since what really needs to be done is check the rosters for the last eight years but I can’t easily do that).

[quote=“UncleLar, post:16, topic:2319”]What I think you will also find is that DeChellis take a smaller number of JC players than probably any other school in the Big Ten (except maybe NW).

Give me a minute and I’ll check the other rosters (although that won’t prove anything since what really needs to be done is check the rosters for the last eight years but I can’t easily do that).[/quote]

Here’s the list. It’s inconclusive with six JC players now at Big Ten schools.

Illinois: Jean Selus - Parkland CC
Indiana: None
Iowa: Devon Archie - Vincennes CC, Bryce Cartwright - Paris JC, Jordan Stoemer - Kirkwood JC
Michigan: None
Michigan State: None
Minnesota: Trevor Mbakwe - Miami Dade JC
Northwestern: None
Ohio State: Nicola Kerman - Eastern AZ State CC
Purdue: None
Penn State: None
Wisconsin: None

And for completeness, PSU football is actually in the middle as far as how many JUCOs it has brought in in the past four years

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/01/which_football_teams_sign_the.html

Thought of a way to do it by checking the commit list on Rivals. Here’s the total number of JC commits by Big Ten schools since DeChellis was hired:

Illinois (2)
Indiana (8)
Iowa (8)
Michigan (0)
Michigan St (0)
Minnesota (7)
Northwestern (0)
Ohio State (4)
Penn State (3)
Purdue (6)
Wisconsin (1).

So I was wrong. We are about in the middle of the pack.

I have no problem with DeChellis recruiting JUCOs, or the admissions office rejecting applicants that are unqualified.