Another choke down the stretch

0 for our last 7.

Two games in a row where it was our game to lose…and we lost it. Where’s the toughness? >:(

in the D league…

Talor hasn’t had that magic this year, that’s for sure.

+1

[quote="PSUdraw, post:2, topic:640"]in the D league..[/quote]

Interesting note by the announcer down the stretch of this game…Ed told Battle that he needs to start trusting other guys on the team. Clearly he doesn’t trust anyone else. Last year he certainly did trust 3 guys that have since graduated.

His magic has been squashed by his desire to do too much, which is fed by his concern that no one else can do it.

Jones showed nothing tonight in response to being benched. And really, neither did Brooks. Two guys that Battle should be able to trust by now.

Can anyone who watched the game please explain why our 4 shots from 1 minute and 50 seconds on consisted of 3 3-pointers??? We were down 1 point…just unbelievable.

1:50 53-52 Mike Tisdale Defensive Rebound.
1:16 53-54 Demetri McCamey made Two Point Jumper.
1:02 Penn State 30 Second Timeout.
0:49 Talor Battle missed Three Point Jumper. 53-54
0:49 Chris Babb Offensive Rebound. 53-54
0:46 53-54 Foul on Demetri McCamey
0:27 Talor Battle missed Three Point Jumper. 53-54
0:27 53-54 Mike Davis Defensive Rebound.
0:19 Foul on Talor Battle 53-54
0:19 Illinois 30 Second Timeout.
0:17 Foul on Tim Frazier 53-54
0:17 53-54 Mike Tisdale missed Free Throw.
0:17 Chris Babb Defensive Rebound. 53-54
0:05 Talor Battle missed Two Point Jumper. 53-54
0:05 53-54 Mike Tisdale Block.
0:03 Penn State Offensive Rebound. 53-54
0:03 Penn State Full Timeout.
0:00 Talor Battle missed Three Point Jumper. 53-54
0:00 End of the 2nd Half.
0:00 End Game

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/playbyplay?gameId=300120356

Tulane
Temple
Virginia Tech
Minnesota
Michigan
Illinois

6 games this year where we had the lead with less than 7 minutes to go. 6 times we blew it. Guys, I know everyone likes to be optimistic, but close doesn’t mean jack in the NCAA. All 6 games listed here were games that we gave away.

[quote=“BleedPSU, post:7, topic:640”]Tulane
Temple
Virginia Tech
Minnesota
Michigan
Illinois

6 games this year where we had the lead with less than 7 minutes to go. 6 times we blew it. Guys, I know everyone likes to be optimistic, but close doesn’t mean jack in the NCAA. All 6 games listed here were games that we gave away. [/quote]

In college basketball, losing breeds losing. You don’t get a higher draft pick if you come in last.

[quote=“PSUBaller, post:6, topic:640”]Can anyone who watched the game please explain why our 4 shots from 1 minute and 50 seconds on consisted of 3 3-pointers??? We were down 1 point…just unbelievable.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/playbyplay?gameId=300120356[/quote]

Totally agree. Partly Battle trying to do too much, partly bad coaching IMO.

Temple
Virginia Tech
Minnesota
Michigan
Illinois

6 games this year where we had the lead with less than 7 minutes to go. 6 times we blew it. Guys, I know everyone likes to be optimistic, but close doesn’t mean jack in the NCAA. All 6 games listed here were games that we gave away. [/quote]

Wow, great post. It’s crazy to think how close we are to, say, 12-4, if we’d have pulled out 4 of those. Until Battle is willing to give it up at crunch time if its absolutely not there, the close ones are always going to be a problem.

Temple
Virginia Tech
Minnesota
Michigan
Illinois

Its bad but I have to think next season we win 4 out 6 or even all 6. The team is definitely in a transition of different players stepping up but there isn’t the trust there yet.

I am starting to think if a few players don’t get there heads on straight, they might be asked to move on.

Experienced teams choke; young teams don’t know how to win. I think there is a difference. Tonight we got younger almost in an instant. ED is realizing that the minutes have to go to the younger guys and that a couple of our experienced guys need to sit. In the long run, this will be a good thing and, when these freshman and sophomores are juniors and seniors, we’ll win these games.

Tulane Temple Virginia Tech Minnesota Michigan Illinois

6 games this year where we had the lead with less than 7 minutes to go. 6 times we blew it. Guys, I know everyone likes to be optimistic, but close doesn’t mean jack in the NCAA. All 6 games listed here were games that we gave away.

Its bad but I have to think next season we win 4 out 6 or even all 6. The team is definitely in a transition of different players stepping up but there isn’t the trust there yet.

I am starting to think if a few players don’t get there heads on straight, they might be asked to move on.

Why do you say this? Its not like the rest of the teams in the country are going to stay static while they wait for PSU to get some experience and get better.

No, it’s that the rest of the country graduates players and we bring back the same squad (plus a highly touted freshman). Just as many here underestimated the impact that losing experienced players like Cornley/Morrisey/Pringle would have on this squad, I also think that many are underestimating the improvements that our team will make next year when we have the same squad and other teams are playing freshman and inexperienced guys during crunch time. You may think that some of guys have maxed out, however guys like Edwards and Frazier will grow up a lot over the next year.

[quote="PSUdraw, post:2, topic:640"]in the D league..[/quote]

Interesting note by the announcer down the stretch of this game…Ed told Battle that he needs to start trusting other guys on the team. Clearly he doesn’t trust anyone else. Last year he certainly did trust 3 guys that have since graduated.

His magic has been squashed by his desire to do too much, which is fed by his concern that no one else can do it.

Jones showed nothing tonight in response to being benched. And really, neither did Brooks. Two guys that Battle should be able to trust by now.

Ridiculous post Tom. His magic’s not squashed at all. He played poor D though. McCamey had such good looks it was ridiculous.

Two guys Battle should be able to trust by now? What’s that supposed to mean? Why should he trust them? To do what? Get serious.

One reason Battle tries to do too much is some of the things he tries, others won’t do. Driving for instance. I watch other games, guys 6’4", 6’5" and taller, drive and dunk or at least finish strong. Who does that on PSU? Does anybody drive?

All I see in games is high screens. Picks in the lane are awful, not completed. Ott played well. At least he tries.

Your man crush is blinding you Kid. Tom is knocking Jone and Brooks, not Battle.

That last play with 3.5 seconds left where all we could draw up was for Taylor hoisting up a 28 foot shot was (for me) a jaw dropper. Our coaching staff needs to do better than that. There was no screen, no nothing. With 3.5 seconds I just want to see more than throw the ball to a naked Talor and without any involvement by a teamate in the shot having him just hoist it toward the basket. Talor and the whole team deserve better help. The result was an air ball, enough said.

No it’s not. I just read it wrong.Sorry Tom. Misread, “two guys Battle should trust by now.” As he posted this after he posted that the announcer said Ed told him to start trusting guys, it confused me. Understand the comment now, that in their 3rd year together, he should trust them, but, doesn’t, well, let’s just leave it at that. I thought Tom was agreeing with what Ed supposedly said.

That said, I thought Talor played poorly tonight, esp on D. If he can’t stop McCamey, have someone else cover him. McCamey had way too many good looks.

On O, Battle didn’t play well, but re the trust other guys comment, if nobody is going to drive, he’s going to try it. It’s pretty bad that nobody puts the ball on the floor and attacks the basket. IL didn’t do it much either. NICU was asking, “is there anything else PSU does other than high ball screens?” There really isn’t. How about a give and go or pick n roll? It’s pretty boring basketball they play, not nearly as interesting to watch as Northwestern. Their offense is a joy to watch. I would’ve had Babb take the last shot. Why not after the way he shot? We did get some better inside play tonight courtesy of Ott.

One glaring thing I noticed, and maybe one of the reasons we don’t get good looks so much, the screens set in the lane area are absolutely awful. Never imagined they could be so bad. It’s like guys run through the motions so they can get back to the arc. This reflects very badly on Ed. Setting good screens is everything if that’s the kind of offense you’re going to run. It’s like this offense wasn’t taught very well. Guys don’t seem to know how to set screens. A bad screen is worthless. How is this not picked up and hammered home from viewing films? It’s not just one guy, but some are worse than others.

Did it ever occur to you to give Illinois some credit for stopping the play? Or perhaps the players didn’t execute the play that was drawn up? Or maybe a combination of both? Do you honestly think ED drew up a play that called for Battle to launch a “28 foot shot”?

If you go back on watch the video, you can see what happened. Penn State lined up with Brooks in the far low post and Edwards at the far top of the key. Jackson was on the near low post with Battle at the near top of the key. The play was designed to use Battle as a decoy and to get Edwards a layup off of a screen set by Brooks (or perhaps have Brooks roll off of the screen toward the basket for a layup - it’s hard to tell which). Two things prevented that. Tisdale was cheating toward the inside and Edwards didn’t cut sharply enough off of Brooks’ screen - he left enough room for his defender to fight through and prevent the pass from coming to him (I think with a tighter cut, Edwards either gets a layup or Illinois would have been forced to switch and Brooks might have been open for a layup on the roll). I think PSU was hoping that Tisdale would be cheating toward the outside and preventing a toss to Battle which might give Brooks a layup at the basket

The second option was to get Battle the ball on the wing off of a screen by DJ. DJ set the screen ok but the guy defending him, McCamey, quickly switched off of DJ onto Battle and prevented Talor from getting to the wing. Battle, to his credit quickly recognized that McCamey was going to prevent the inbounds pass so he stopped his movement toward the corner and backpedaled. At that point, Babb had to throw it deep to him.

Credit Illinois with some excellent defense on the play, particularly McCamey. His quick switch busted up the play and forced the deep inbounds pass.

Your remark about there being no screens is flat out wrong. Go back and look at the video. Both DJ and Jones were setting screens. But Illinois prevented both of the options.

[quote="Duff, post:17, topic:640"]That last play with 3.5 seconds left where all we could draw up was for Taylor hoisting up a 28 foot shot was (for me) a jaw dropper. Our coaching staff needs to do better than that. There was no screen, no nothing. With 3.5 seconds I just want to see more than throw the ball to a naked Talor and without any involvement by a teamate in the shot having him just hoist it toward the basket. Talor and the whole team deserve better help. The result was an air ball, enough said.[/quote]

Did it ever occur to you to give Illinois some credit for stopping the play? Or perhaps the players didn’t execute the play that was drawn up? Or maybe a combination of both? Do you honestly think ED drew up a play that called for Battle to launch a “28 foot shot”?

If you go back on watch the video, you can see what happened. Penn State lined up with Brooks in the far low post and Edwards at the far top of the key. Jackson was on the near low post with Battle at the near top of the key. The play was designed to use Battle as a decoy and to get Edwards a layup off of a screen set by Brooks (or perhaps have Brooks roll off of the screen toward the basket for a layup - it’s hard to tell which). Two things prevented that. Tisdale was cheating toward the inside and Edwards didn’t cut sharply enough off of Brooks’ screen - he left enough room for his defender to fight through and prevent the pass from coming to him (I think with a tighter cut, Edwards either gets a layup or Illinois would have been forced to switch and Brooks might have been open for a layup on the roll). I think PSU was hoping that Tisdale would be cheating toward the outside and preventing a toss to Battle which might give Brooks a layup at the basket

The second option was to get Battle the ball on the wing off of a screen by DJ. DJ set the screen ok but the guy defending him, McCamey, quickly switched off of DJ onto Battle and prevented Talor from getting to the wing. Battle, to his credit quickly recognized that McCamey was going to prevent the inbounds pass so he stopped his movement toward the corner and backpedaled. At that point, Babb had to throw it deep to him.

Credit Illinois with some excellent defense on the play, particularly McCamey. His quick switch busted up the play and forced the deep inbounds pass.

Your remark about there being no screens is flat out wrong. Go back and look at the video. Both DJ and Jones were setting screens. But Illinois prevented both of the options.

Lar is correct there were screens on that play. But I don’t see Babb passing that ball to Edwards. That ball was going to Battle regardless.