PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Anger

I can’t even begin to express my anger at that press conference. The entire Board of Trustees should resign immediately. They are the ones who caused this media circus to escalate to this point. They are the ones who made the decision to not allow any university statement for almost a week. They are the ones who mismanaged EVERY. SINGLE. ASPECT. of this terrible tragedy.

And now they’re the ones that have fired the two university employees cleared by the prosecutors while continuing to employ the two indicted AND paying their legal bills.

[quote=“bstanf, post:1, topic:2792”]I can’t even begin to express my anger at that press conference. The entire Board of Trustees should resign immediately. They are the ones who caused this media circus to escalate to this point. They are the ones who made the decision to not allow any university statement for almost a week. They are the ones who mismanaged EVERY. SINGLE. ASPECT. of this terrible tragedy.

And now they’re the ones that have fired the two university employees cleared by the prosecutors while continuing to employ the two indicted AND paying their legal bills.[/quote]

Agreed.

That was a hideous PC. It’s one thing to fire Joe. It’s another to outright say they pretty much had no good reason to fire him since they didn’t have all the information and didn’t know if anyone did anything wrong.

They didn’t even tell him in person!

And this is the crew that we trust to hire a new coach?

+1 to all of this, I’m f’in raging mad right now. Joe needs to speak and now that he is fired I’m sure it will be soon.

Let’s see 84 year old who has just been screwed over and knows who knows what in this whole mess. This could be really a lot of fun to watch when JoePa speaks to the press or the AG and names every BOT member who knew what Curley and Shultz did.

Does anyone here, or anywhere, seriously need a specific reason for getting Joe off the sidelines? I’m not kidding.

The BOT is taking the unusual move of dealing with its leaders, not just knocking off a couple apparatchiks and wiping its hands.

No, Joe does not deserve all the blame, or even the Lion’s share of the blame. Nor does Spanier. But there is enough blame to go around, and the recovery process starts now.

[quote=“tjb, post:6, topic:2792”]Does anyone here, or anywhere, seriously need a specific reason for getting Joe off the sidelines? I’m not kidding.

The BOT is taking the unusual move of dealing with its leaders, not just knocking off a couple apparatchiks and wiping its hands.

No, Joe does not deserve all the blame, or even the Lion’s share of the blame. Nor does Spanier. But there is enough blame to go around, and the recovery process starts now.[/quote]

…but by targeting him tonight, he got it. I guess the BoT ran out of time, didn’t have enough time to say “…and Curley is fired too”.

Does anyone here, or anywhere, seriously need a specific reason for getting Joe off the sidelines? I'm not kidding.

No, Joe does not deserve all the blame, or even the Lion’s share of the blame. Nor does Spanier. But there is enough blame to go around, and the recovery process starts now.

…but by targeting him tonight, he got it. I guess the BoT ran out of time, didn’t have enough time to say “…and Curley is fired too”.

By doing it this way, it looks like Joe and then Spanier, in that order, are mostly at fault for this mess. They are likely the two least at fault.

We’ll see.

[quote=“tjb, post:6, topic:2792”]Does anyone here, or anywhere, seriously need a specific reason for getting Joe off the sidelines? I’m not kidding.

No, Joe does not deserve all the blame, or even the Lion’s share of the blame. Nor does Spanier. But there is enough blame to go around, and the recovery process starts now.[/quote]

No recovery won’t start that fast. There will be more dominos, more things exposed.

If you are an alum YOU control the makeup of 1/3 of the BOT. If you want to be heard the ballot box is the place. I’m just saying…

Hey, I don’t mean to suggest that it is all roses from here on out – far from it.

But the board just set the tone - this will not stand, and we’re not going to work our way from the little people on up. This is a major failure, and the leadership owns it.

There is much more mayhem to come.

Yeah, 1/3. I’ll be voting that third out.

This anger at the BOT is embarrassing. Their job is not to do “justice.”. Their duty is to act in the best interest of the university. If Joe was allowed to coach this weekend and retire on his own terms, it would be seen as tactic endorsement of what is alleged to have occurred. Fairness has nothing to do with it, nor should it. The best interest of the university has to come first.

I don’t necessarily believe that this was the best decision, considering the predicable reaction in Beaver Canyon. However, I’m glad that I didn’t have to make that decision. I applaud the BOT for doing what they felt was right, even though it’s not popular.

I’m with you. I just don’t get how anyone thinks it would be in the best interests of the university to let him to continue to coach even one more game.

[quote="jiddywop, post:11, topic:2792"]If you are an alum YOU control the makeup of 1/3 of the BOT. If you want to be heard the ballot box is the place. I'm just saying...[/quote]

You do realize that 4 of the 9 elected by the Alumni are football people.

[quote=“PSUJAG, post:14, topic:2792”]This anger at the BOT is embarrassing. Their job is not to do “justice.”. Their duty is to act in the best interest of the university. If Joe was allowed to coach this weekend and retire on his own terms, it would be seen as tactic endorsement of what is alleged to have occurred. Fairness has nothing to do with it, nor should it. The best interest of the university has to come first.

I don’t necessarily believe that this was the best decision, considering the predicable reaction in Beaver Canyon. However, I’m glad that I didn’t have to make that decision. I applaud the BOT for doing what they felt was right, even though it’s not popular.[/quote]
Thanks for expressing my thoughts more clearly than I would have been able to do this evening.

As for Beaver Canyon, some quiet reflection on the young victims of this tragedy would be much more appropriate than a riot in support of JoePa. :-[

[quote="tjb, post:6, topic:2792"]Does anyone here, or anywhere, seriously need a specific reason for getting Joe off the sidelines? I'm not kidding.

I’m with you. I just don’t get how anyone thinks it would be in the best interests of the university to let him to continue to coach even one more game.

I know its not in the best interest of the university to let him coach this saturday but its not in the best interest to announce he is fired at 11 pm on the night after a large part of student body had rally for an idol. Could the BOT at least waited till tomorrow morning? They should did Monday evening. Did they want all the major networks covering another “riot” at PSU?

[quote="jiddywop, post:11, topic:2792"]If you are an alum YOU control the makeup of 1/3 of the BOT. If you want to be heard the ballot box is the place. I'm just saying...[/quote]

You do realize that 4 of the 9 elected by the Alumni are football people.

I don’t care. They must go.

Does anyone here, or anywhere, seriously need a specific reason for getting Joe off the sidelines? I'm not kidding.

I think the fact that the first time anyone of power at the university who took a question from the press was the BOT presser tonight when they fired Joe allowed the media focus and heat to sprial out of control to the point where I think it was impossible for Joe to coach on Sat. I think the inaction of the BOT and GS was a considerable factor in what got us to the point where it was impossible to Joe continue.

If I’m Joe, I’m on GMA, Today, etc tomorrow. What’s left to lose? he’s not in any legal trouble. I think it might be good for the whole school… heck, no-one else is stepping up, so why not?