Andy Katz on the Big Ten

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=4766773

No mention of PSU. Surprised at his pick of John Shurna as the league’s best player.

[quote=“psugrad83, post:1, topic:543”]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=4766773

No mention of PSU. Surprised at his pick of John Shurna as the league’s best player.[/quote]

Not great PSU isn’t mentioned, but at this point no real reason to mention them. Have to change that. Winning in Minny next week would change some minds. Probably not likely, but then the team has early opportunities at home. It’ll be put up or shut up then. Hopefully, PSU puts up, and Katz shuts up.

[quote=“psugrad83, post:1, topic:543”]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=4766773

No mention of PSU. Surprised at his pick of John Shurna as the league’s best player.[/quote]

It’s unfortunate we weren’t mentioned at all…especially after last year. We need to show consistency year after year to get mentioned. My patience meter is much shorter than others on this board.

I agree that we have done nothing to merit notice, but Katz and Vitale are star----ers. They will never notice anyone outside their world until everyone else has.

I think they both live to tell their friends they talked to John Calipari earlier in the day.

I used to be a big Vitale fan but I was watching him recently – can’t remember what game – and he has really jumped the shark.

If PSU were to be mentioned, it would only be for negative things (besides TB)… so I can’t complain.

[quote=“tjb, post:4, topic:543”]I agree that we have done nothing to merit notice, but Katz and Vitale are star----ers. They will never notice anyone outside their world until everyone else has.

I think they both live to tell their friends they talked to John Calipari earlier in the day.

I used to be a big Vitale fan but I was watching him recently – can’t remember what game – and he has really jumped the shark.[/quote]

That about nails it Tim. You know who seems to really like Talor, and may have mentioned PSU, is Gottlieb. He’s all over the place. Last night, he was in Hawaii, or at least doing their game, and they were the home team. I’ve gotten to really like him as an announcer. Vitale has jumped the shark. He’s like a parody of himself.

TJ, you mean the shark as in “Tarkanian”?

No, it’s a term used to mean that something’s past its prime. It’s after the “Happy Days” episode where Fonzi, while water skiing, jumps on top of a shark. Most felt that was the beginning of the end of that show, in that it was so ridiculous, so the term “jumping the shark” means it’s going downhill. Googling it probably gives a better explanation.

[quote="psujb, post:7, topic:543"]TJ, you mean the shark as in "Tarkanian"?[/quote]

No, it’s a term used to mean that something’s past its prime. It’s after the “Happy Days” episode where Fonzi, while water skiing, jumps on top of a shark. Most felt that was the beginning of the end of that show, in that it was so ridiculous, so the term “jumping the shark” means it’s going downhill. Googling it probably gives a better explanation.

Fonzie Jumps the Shark

He didn’t jump on top of a shark, rather jumped over a shark.

This was from a three-part episode that opened season 5 of “Happy Days.” I guess that marked the beginning of the end for the show, so whenever a show is headed downhill the term “jumped the shark” is used. (hey, I guess you learn something new everyday on the internet)

Personally though, I’m digging the outfit.

NU highlights from the last game. Shurna is going to be pretty tough to cover. First two buckets by him show his versatility. Andrew Jones often receives the ball in the same position as Shurna is in the first shot, but Shurna shows a great ability with his handle to improve his position before shooting. We don’t quite have that. The confidence shown by Shurna doing that indicates he’s been doing it for awhile, and is comfortable playing this way.

http://www.bigtennetwork.com/videos/index.asp?bcpid=36836305001&bctid=58621282001

[quote="tjb, post:4, topic:543"]I agree that we have done nothing to merit notice, but Katz and Vitale are star----ers. They will never notice anyone outside their world until everyone else has.

I used to be a big Vitale fan but I was watching him recently – can’t remember what game – and he has really jumped the shark.[/quote]

That about nails it Tim. You know who seems to really like Talor, and may have mentioned PSU, is Gottlieb. He’s all over the place. Last night, he was in Hawaii, or at least doing their game, and they were the home team. I’ve gotten to really like him as an announcer. Vitale has jumped the shark. He’s like a parody of himself.

I’ve been saying that about Vitale for years. He’s become like John Madden…a parody of himself. I really have a hard time listening to Vitale any more. It’s hard to find that one nugget of good info amidst all the senseless blather.

Katz, it seems to me, almost refuses to mention Penn State. I noticed it last spring when he would write daily about the NIT and CBI, but never seemed to mention the game PSU had played. At first I didn’t think much of it, as PSU advanced farther on I thought it was almost intentionally omitted. In any case, there is something about Katz that I really don’t like. Gottleib seems to mention PSU every once in a while, as appropriate. I know he may not be the greatest guy in the world either, but at least he seems to be more equitable in his reporting (or maybe he just pays attention). This summer was the only exception, Katz wrote a favorable article or 2 about Battle (only after he had questioned Battle’s selection to the summer team that played overseas). Katz probably does the same thing with other schools, I just don’t look for other mentions as closely.

[quote="tjb, post:4, topic:543"]I agree that we have done nothing to merit notice, but Katz and Vitale are star----ers. They will never notice anyone outside their world until everyone else has.

I’ve been saying that about Vitale for years. He’s become like John Madden…a parody of himself. I really have a hard time listening to Vitale any more. It’s hard to find that one nugget of good info amidst all the senseless blather.

I sometimes question whether Vitale is completely out to lunch, or just putting on an act. He also has a very annoying habit of interjecting his opinion on things that have nothing to do with college basketball. I was watching a game last month, and he treated the audience to a 2 minute discussion of his top choices for the next football coach at Notre Dame. Meanwhile, the game went on with no relevant commentary.

I have come to appreciate Gootlieb, too. Had an interesting comment about Frazier not being able to go to his left in the VaTech game. Maybe that’s why he was struggling to score there for a while?? In all, I thought Gottlieb was fair and knowledgeable.