PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Andrew Appreciation Thread

Serious thread (NO WISECRACKS)

Andrew had an excellent game against a bigtime “inside oriented” ranked team!! This is the place for people who have scapegoated Andrew for 4 years to eat some crow and say something nice/positive!!
His “tip dunk” late in the game may be the PSU Play of the Year!!

[quote=“tundra, post:1, topic:1746”]Serious thread (NO WISECRACKS)

Andrew had an excellent game against a bigtime “inside oriented” ranked team!! This is the place for people who have scapegoated Andrew for 4 years to eat some crow and say something nice/positive!!
His “tip dunk” late in the game may be the PSU Play of the Year!! [/quote]Glad to see Andrew show up big in a b10 game. His one dunk was an eye opener but I don’t think he actually dunked that tip in , did he?

Went back and looked I guess he did dunk that. The one off the feed from Talor was thrown down with some authority

Most of our opponents don’t consider Andrew an offensive threat and so they play way, way off him and most of the time double Talor or whoever has the ball. Now that he’s scoring more, teams will have to play him and that should open up opportunities for the other guys.

[quote=“tundra, post:1, topic:1746”]Serious thread (NO WISECRACKS)

His “tip dunk” late in the game may be the PSU Play of the Year!! [/quote]

Granted, he played great, but “scapegoated?” He hadn’t shown up all season. As Santini mentioned, they’ve played off him. Hopefully this changes that. He played great, tough, aggressive, lively. Everybody played well. Not sure I recall a game the last two years where there were so many contributions. A bunch were really “go to” guys last night, making key plays and baskets.

Here’s what Ed said:

“Drew was very active. He ran the floor and was aggressive,” DeChellis said. “The other guys will find him, but he has to be active, and he did that today. I have a hard time explaining it. I’m not sure if it’s a mindset thing or what, but this sets the bar (for him). Now we want it again. It’s important for him to keep producing and then we’ll have a chance to win games.”

Against an inside oriented team? Michigan State is a pretty bad team on the interior this season.

I’m not going to diminish what Jones did for us yesterday though. He played a great game, and that’s what we want to see out of him. It has seemed like this team goes through the motions at times. I don’t know what got into these players, but they played with more heart, and passion than they had all season. Whether it’s a one off or a turning point in the season, we’ll see. If this team wants to dance in March they’ll need about 12 conference wins + a decent showing at the B10 Tourney.

[quote=“rwd5035, post:5, topic:1746”]Against an inside oriented team? Michigan State is a pretty bad team on the interior this season.

I’m not going to diminish what Jones did for us yesterday though. He played a great game, and that’s what we want to see out of him. It has seemed like this team goes through the motions at times. I don’t know what got into these players, but they played with more heart, and passion than they had all season. Whether it’s a one off or a turning point in the season, we’ll see. If this team wants to dance in March they’ll need about 12 conference wins + a decent showing at the B10 Tourney.[/quote]

12 conference wins? Are you kidding me? More like nine, or ten at worst.

[quote="rwd5035, post:5, topic:1746"]Against an inside oriented team? Michigan State is a pretty bad team on the interior this season.

I’m not going to diminish what Jones did for us yesterday though. He played a great game, and that’s what we want to see out of him. It has seemed like this team goes through the motions at times. I don’t know what got into these players, but they played with more heart, and passion than they had all season. Whether it’s a one off or a turning point in the season, we’ll see. If this team wants to dance in March they’ll need about 12 conference wins + a decent showing at the B10 Tourney.[/quote]

10 conference wins leaves them at 17-12. I can’t imagine this gets them in.
[quote="rwd5035, post:5, topic:1746"]Against an inside oriented team? Michigan State is a pretty bad team on the interior this season.

Add in the decent showing at the B10 tourney and it probably does.

We can start worrying about this when they get near 10 conf wins :wink:

Andrew had a great game and he deserves some props from me.

If he can play a couple more games at this level then I’ll eat crow.

Based upon RPIForecast, that would give us an RPI around 38. We’d have a great shot at it.

I don’t know if you are eating crow if you knew he could play like this, but serve mine up with some gravy and biscuits.

Andrew, watch that tape every day and build off it. I knew you could do it. Go Big Boy Go!

We’d have a SOS that was very good though. The committee has always looked at that in a positive light.

The questions is, “will they be approaching 10 wins?”

We can start worrying about this when they get near 10 conf wins ;)

The questions is, “will they be approaching 10 wins?”

hence the :wink:

Great game Anderw!

I thought we’d see a lot of this after watching him outplay Harangody in the 09 NIT semis. I was glad to see it yesterday. Hopefully it continues.

Don’t you mean at best?

Minny and UM made it in '08 with 9-9 conference seasons, PSU being 10-8.

I’m always hard on Drew, i’m sure many have heard my thoughts on him in the student section :smiley: But yesterday was really encouraging. It’s amazing what an effective Drew Jones in the post can do to us. Loved how we used him off the pick and roll and sliding to the hoop, its about time. Not a whole lot of boards but really active on the glass, he was huge yesterday. If he can play at that level consistently its gonna make a pretty big difference on the offensive end.

[quote="UncleLar, post:6, topic:1746"]12 conference wins? Are you kidding me? More like nine, or ten at worst.[/quote]

Don’t you mean at best?

Minny and UM made it in '08 with 9-9 conference seasons, PSU being 10-8.

No. I meant worst, although my punctuation was misplaced. I should have written “More like nine or ten, at worst”, meaning that they for sure would get in with 11 or 12 wins and might get in with a worse number like nine or ten.

12-6 in conference puts them at 19-10, and a win in the B10 tourney could put them at worst 20-11. That’s good enough to go dancing. If we won 9 that would put us at 16-13. NO WAY that gets us in the tournament.