PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

And we think that WE have tough standards

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2011/03/03/2011-03-03_brandon_davies_suspended_by_byu_after_admitting_sex_with_girlfriend_breaking_hon.html

And they promptly lost by 18 in the first game without him. I perused through the BYU honor code (no link, google it yourself), and I find it hard to believe that between football and men’s basketball, there aren’t more violations. I’m not going to make allegations of something deeper, but Davies sure sticks out like a sore thumb at a place like BYU. Take some wild guesses as to how that is…

[quote=“PSUClassof2011, post:1, topic:2041”]http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2011/03/03/2011-03-03_brandon_davies_suspended_by_byu_after_admitting_sex_with_girlfriend_breaking_hon.html

And they promptly lost by 18 in the first game without him. I perused through the BYU honor code (no link, google it yourself), and I find it hard to believe that between football and men’s basketball, there aren’t more violations. I’m not going to make allegations of something deeper, but Davies sure sticks out like a sore thumb at a place like BYU. Take some wild guesses as to how that is…[/quote]

considering that he was born and raised in Provo and decided to stay in town for college, I’m guessing that Davies didn’t think so

[quote=“PSUClassof2011, post:1, topic:2041”]http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2011/03/03/2011-03-03_brandon_davies_suspended_by_byu_after_admitting_sex_with_girlfriend_breaking_hon.html

And they promptly lost by 18 in the first game without him. I perused through the BYU honor code (no link, google it yourself), and I find it hard to believe that between football and men’s basketball, there aren’t more violations. I’m not going to make allegations of something deeper, but Davies sure sticks out like a sore thumb at a place like BYU. Take some wild guesses as to how that is…[/quote]

I don’t think he stands out that much. He just got burned a little by God because God hates the nephites. Obviously.

[quote="PSUClassof2011, post:1, topic:2041"][url=http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2011/03/03/2011-03-03_brandon_davies_suspended_by_byu_after_admitting_sex_with_girlfriend_breaking_hon.html]http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2011/03/03/2011-03-03_brandon_davies_suspended_by_byu_after_admitting_sex_with_girlfriend_breaking_hon.html[/url]

considering that he was born and raised in Provo and decided to stay in town for college, I’m guessing that Davies didn’t think so

manatree is exactly right. Only a narrow-minded individual would jump on a race issue where there is none.

There’s a little school down the road called Messiah College who has a similar Code.

It’s the same as smoking pot and driving drunk. The person who was caught is by no means the only one doing it, but they ARE the only one who was caught.

If you sign up to play by their rules, then you better play by their rules.

I wonder how many honor code violations Jim McMahon was guilty of? Probably dozens.

Yeah, that’s some religion. You can’t have pre-marital sex, but you can have 10 wives, and you can have sex with 13 year old girls, as long as you’re married. I know they don’t permit that anymore, the multiple wives anyway, but it was quite common years ago. Brigham Young had 53 children, and once had either 7 or 9 children in one month. Oh that’s right, he was married. ::slight_smile: He was appointed governor of the state/territory by the US President, until the US President found out about his multiple marriages and sexual practices of the church he led, and he un-appointed him. That’s what you get with a religion invented by a Vermonter. :wink:

[quote="PSUClassof2011, post:1, topic:2041"][url=http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2011/03/03/2011-03-03_brandon_davies_suspended_by_byu_after_admitting_sex_with_girlfriend_breaking_hon.html]http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2011/03/03/2011-03-03_brandon_davies_suspended_by_byu_after_admitting_sex_with_girlfriend_breaking_hon.html[/url]

manatree is exactly right. Only a narrow-minded individual would jump on a race issue where there is none.

It’s a Mormon University with a Mormon honor code. A cursory examination of the history Mormon religion and race means that race is always going to be an issue.

Considering that they did not recognize inter-racial marriages until like the 70’s, and that their doctrine has pseudo-racist undertones (not even really psuedo, to be frank), and that many agree that their recent reforms are nominal only, I’m going to have to disagree with you.

FWIW, 176 black students out of 27,000 undergrads.

I mean… he admitted that he broke the honor code by engaging in pre-marital sex, I think he knew that the repercussions were going to be serious if he felt like he had to admit to this.

I just don’t see how race is any part of this. If you’re going to point to the 70’s and wag your finger at BYU, i’m going to point to a decade earlier and a little something called the civil rights movements, and wag my finger right back at you and the majority of this entire country. Neither has any place in this conversation, this is about a school and a student and both sides seem to be on the same page about it. It would barely be news if BYU were having a more typical season by BYU standards.

I had a friend in high school whose father was black, mother white, he was a Mormon, an honor student and an all-state football player. He went to Princeton. I had higher board scores, so he thought I could get into Princeton, too. I told him that it didn’t quite work out that way. :slight_smile: My buddy was one tiny demographic at the time.

Considering that they did not recognize inter-racial marriages until like the 70’s, and that their doctrine has pseudo-racist undertones (not even really psuedo, to be frank), and that many agree that their recent reforms are nominal only, I’m going to have to disagree with you.

FWIW, 176 black students out of 27,000 undergrads.

Well, if you want to talk about lynchings, slavery, and segregation, I think the race card would be played in most other states before Utah.

You narrow-minded people are always so quick to jump on this.

If it was a race thing, they would have just dumped him after the tournament, not while they are in contention for a #1 seed.

Maybe some other people take their honor code and religion a little more serious than others, and the others find that offensive and incomprehensable. :-\

You narrow-minded people are always so quick to jump on this.

What do you mean, you people? :o

I guess they do take it seriously. It was rescinded when Danny Ainge played there, but at least by that time they weren’t killing white men who had interracial engagements, “on the spot.” I guess with all the women Brigham was doing, he had better have enough candlelight going. Wouldn’t want him mixing his chosen seed with the “seed of Cain.”

Circumstances leading to banning the priesthood from black members
Main articles: Black people and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Black people and the Latter Day Saint movement
See also: Walker Lewis, Elijah Abel, and William McCary
Brigham Young is generally credited with having been responsible for revoking the priesthood and temple blessings from black members of the LDS Church, who had been treated equally in this respect under Joseph Smith’s presidency. During the Mormon flight from Illinois towards Utah in 1847, Brigham Young received a letter informing him of an inter-racial marriage by the son of a prominent black member, Walker Lewis. The letter was written by William Ivers Appleby, a Mormon elder, who desired to know if interracial marriage was an acceptable practice. Appleby sent the letter to Young at Winter Quarters, Nebraska, but Young was actually in Utah, and therefore did not receive Appleby’s missive until December 1, 1847, when he returned to Winter Quarters. Quite coincidentally, Appleby himself arrived in Winter Quarters on December 2. Young read Appleby’s letter and then had him personally report to Young and the eight apostles who were then in Nebraska.[15] In 1863, Young reported that he said, “Shall I tell you the law of God in regard to the African race? If the white man who belongs to the chosen seed mixes his blood with the seed of Cain, the penalty, under the law of God, is death on the spot. This will always be so” (Journal of Discourses, vol. 10, p. 110). After settling in Utah in 1848, Brigham Young announced a priesthood ban which prohibited all men of black African descent from holding the priesthood. In connection, Mormons of African descent could not participate in Mormon temple rites such as the Endowment or sealing. These racial restrictions remained in place until 1978, when the policy was rescinded by President of the Church Spencer W. Kimball.

Maybe some other people take their honor code and religion a little more serious than others, and the others find that offensive and incomprehensable. :-\

I guess they do take it seriously. It was rescinded when Danny Ainge played there, but at least by that time they weren’t killing white men who had interracial engagements, “on the spot.” I guess with all the women Brigham was doing, he had better have enough candlelight going. Wouldn’t want him mixing his chosen seed with the “seed of Cain.”

Circumstances leading to banning the priesthood from black members
Main articles: Black people and The Church of Jeez Christ of Latter-day Saints and Black people and the Latter Day Saint movement
See also: Walker Lewis, Elijah Abel, and William McCary
Brigham Young is generally credited with having been responsible for revoking the priesthood and temple blessings from black members of the LDS Church, who had been treated equally in this respect under Joseph Smith’s presidency. During the Mormon flight from Illinois towards Utah in 1847, Brigham Young received a letter informing him of an inter-racial marriage by the son of a prominent black member, Walker Lewis. The letter was written by William Ivers Appleby, a Mormon elder, who desired to know if interracial marriage was an acceptable practice. Appleby sent the letter to Young at Winter Quarters, Nebraska, but Young was actually in Utah, and therefore did not receive Appleby’s missive until December 1, 1847, when he returned to Winter Quarters. Quite coincidentally, Appleby himself arrived in Winter Quarters on December 2. Young read Appleby’s letter and then had him personally report to Young and the eight apostles who were then in Nebraska.[15] In 1863, Young reported that he said, “Shall I tell you the law of God in regard to the African race? If the white man who belongs to the chosen seed mixes his blood with the seed of Cain, the penalty, under the law of God, is death on the spot. This will always be so” (Journal of Discourses, vol. 10, p. 110). After settling in Utah in 1848, Brigham Young announced a priesthood ban which prohibited all men of black African descent from holding the priesthood. In connection, Mormons of African descent could not participate in Mormon temple rites such as the Endowment or sealing. These racial restrictions remained in place until 1978, when the policy was rescinded by President of the Church Spencer W. Kimball.

Hold on one minute.

I rarely like to get involved in religious discussions but pulling quotes out of a 150 year old manifesto to make a point is going overboard. If I wanted to I could find tons of quotations in the Bible that should embarrass any and all Christians.

What do you mean, you people? :o[/quote]

What do you mean, you people? :o[/quote]

The narrow-minded people. the ones who instantly jump to a racial conclusion where there is no reason to indication that it has nothing to do with race. The ones who start to criticize BYU and Mormons because of thier “code”.

I’m not Mormon, not even close, but it always amazes me how supposed open-minded poeple are so quick to attack groups like this.

Excuse me, but I would prefer to happily ignore the beam in my own eye.

But Leviticus is a b----!

Gosh…if this were the case at all other Division 1 schools/programs, it would be the end of college athletics as we know it.

Show of hands…who would have broken the “BYU code” their first week of college…Mine’s up, although she wasn’t really my “girlfriend”, but at least I remembered her name the next day. ;D

Assume you’re taking about the woman that made you a cup of coffee? :wink:

It’s obvious that a place like BYU isn’t for everyone. 99.9% of players in the country would break the code in the first week. But on the flip side, if you were a mormon and wanted to practice that lifestyle, I think you’d have a pretty tough time fitting in at Arizona State or the U. It’s a perfect place for those that want that atmosphere.

[quote="NittanyIllini, post:18, topic:2041"]Show of hands...who would have broken the "BYU code" their first week of college...Mine's up, although she wasn't really my "girlfriend", but at least I remembered her name the next day. ;D[/quote]

Assume you’re taking about the woman that made you a cup of coffee? :wink:

It’s obvious that a place like BYU isn’t for everyone. 99.9% of players in the country would break the code in the first week. But on the flip side, if you were a mormon and wanted to practice that lifestyle, I think you’d have a pretty tough time fitting in at Arizona State or the U. It’s a perfect place for those that want that atmosphere.

I very much agree with that frats, having gone out with a girl from Salt Lake (U of U grad). They certainly have different beliefs, but beliefs I can respect for the most part.

I was going to comment on the “cup of coffee” comment, but even I can show some restraint ;D