And another one goes down

St.John’s head coach fired today. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5008933

Will make interesting coaching battle with Seton Hall because I would think they would be looking at similar candidates.

Coach Rice will probably end up at one of the 2.

That leads to an interesting question. Which job do you think is better, Seton Hall or St Johns. Both private Catholic schools, one in Queens and one just over the river in Jersey. Tough call.

IMO, those head coaching jobs worse than PSU. Conference is murder, and you’re never going to be able to compete with Georgetown, UConn, WVU, Pitt, ND, Louisville. NFW. St. John’s is on Queens Blvd., not exactly NYC, and not the suburbs. Seton Hall has had great baseball players, e.g., Richie Zisk and Mo Vaughn. St. John’s had Frank “sweet music” Viola. When Carnesecca was there, St. John’s was competitive basketball program. SHU made final 4 that one year, circa 1989, with that coach who was later strangled (though he lived) by a player in the pros. Can’t recall his name, nor the player, but remember what they looked like.

Literally.

Don’t forget about Chris Mullin.

P. J. Carlesimo

Latreel Sprewell and P J Carlesimo. P J took SH to NC final in 89. They came out of the West Regionals. PJ took some flak, after the fact, because the team spent almost 30 consecutive days away from home.

How about…“The Whopper”…Billy Paultz.

[quote="laoDan, post:2, topic:1002"]That leads to an interesting question. Which job do you think is better, Seton Hall or St Johns. Both private Catholic schools, one in Queens and one just over the river in Jersey. Tough call.[/quote]

IMO, those head coaching jobs worse than PSU. Conference is murder, and you’re never going to be able to compete with Georgetown, UConn, WVU, Pitt, ND, Louisville. NFW. St. John’s is on Queens Blvd., not exactly NYC, and not the suburbs. Seton Hall has had great baseball players, e.g., Richie Zisk and Mo Vaughn. St. John’s had Frank “sweet music” Viola. When Carnesecca was there, St. John’s was competitive basketball program. SHU made final 4 that one year, circa 1989, with that coach who was later strangled (though he lived) by a player in the pros. Can’t recall his name, nor the player, but remember what they looked like.

Richie Zisk! Haven’t heard that name in like forever. I played Little League with a Richie Zisk model Wilson fielding glove until I traded it in for the tools of ignorance.

I would think St. John’s to be the better of the two schools. If a coach can recruit there aren’t too many more fertile recruiting grounds than NYC. Build a core group out of the city and then go get yourself some other kids from the country. Lou C. had a hell of a team with Berry, Mullins, Glass and Wennington.

Based on what? Seton Hall was a top tier BE team in the late 80s and 90s, just like St Johns. So the “never” is already disproved. UConn loses a ton of players next year, and seems to be on the downward slope. Seton Hall split with Pitt, ND and beat Louisville. So they are already climbing the ladder with significantly lower rated recruits / players… but who knows whats going to happen with this recent landslide of events. Depends on the coach.

If you mean compete via recruiting, then you could be right. Gonzo had burnt all the bridges locally… so the last 4-5 years have brought 1 local NJ player (Theordore) and 1 potential recruit (Edwin)… both from Paterson Catholic. Lawrence and Robinson are locals, but transferred in.

I have a document typed up of all the BE teams and how much scoring they are losing next year (in order of standings). It is still rough and pending NBA players but here are the numbers, not the specific players:

Syracuse: 27% Pittsburgh: 19% WVU: 32% Villanova: 32% [b]Marquette: 45%[/b] [b]Louisville: 40%[/b] [b]Notre Dame: 63%[/b] [b]Georgetown: 0%[/b] [b]South Florida: 47%[/b] (this is including Famous, since he said he is leaving but not confirmed. Not including Jones.. NBA?) Seton Hall: 24% (Was around 12% before Mitchell was kicked off, also pending transfers, but no one who produces can transfer.) Cincy: 21% [b]UConn: 60%[/b] SJU: 9% (pending transfers because of Roberts) Rutgers: 14% Providence: 27% Depaul: 26% (all Will Walker)

Safe to say that some of the mid-tier teams might drop a few spots, minus Georgetown. I don’t think USF can reload. UConn might be around the same or even worse. ND is going to have to really reload. Louisville has that ability, but I haven’t seen their recruiting class, same with Marquette.

Its a shame all this had to happen to SHU, they really had the potential to build on this year and jump a few rungs of the BE ladder next year. They had a lot of close games this year, and whos to say next year with them losing only 12% of their scoring (like I said, before Mitchell happened) and a lot of teams around them in the standings losing significant portions of their team, that they couldn’t be a 5th-7th place BE team?

And like you apologists always say, it takes at least 8 years to make progress in a studded league (see: ED, who reaches the basement in 8 years!). Hopefully potential coaches will see the TALENT this team already has, and take advantage of that to have a pretty good first season next year. Something that a new coach could have done this year, and next year with PSU’s roster.

[quote="laoDan, post:2, topic:1002"]That leads to an interesting question. Which job do you think is better, Seton Hall or St Johns. Both private Catholic schools, one in Queens and one just over the river in Jersey. Tough call.[/quote]

IMO, those head coaching jobs worse than PSU. Conference is murder, and you’re never going to be able to compete with Georgetown, UConn, WVU, Pitt, ND, Louisville. NFW.

Don’t forget Calhoun and Boeheim are close to retirement. I don’t think its that much tougher than the Big Ten, especially when Indiana comes back.