PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

All Time Starting 5 with $15

Haven’t seen one of these float around yet for Penn State Basketball so figured I would come up with one. You have $15, who is in your all-time starting 5? Use any criteria you’d like. Didn’t list current players since there’s not a complete body of work. Any former players not listed can also be had for a dollar. Let’s hear it!

2 Likes

Claxton
Cornley
Reaves
Carr
Battle

1 Like

I’m going small here, but give me Lamar and Cornley in the frontcourt ($7). I love Reaves so much at $2…defense, athleticism, and can run the point in the pinch. I’ll round it out with Lisicky and Shep shooting from all over the place. I don’t have a true point guard, and I am small, but I feel like that is a pretty solid team.

Claxton is still the guy I feel the most sorry for. Imagine him with Carr or Battle…that would have been fun!

1 Like

For someone so concerned about 4s, you don’t seem to care about 5s :joy:

1 Like

Shhhhhh

Seriously though, Cornley is physical enough to hang.

1 Like

I was just thinking about an all-time team earlier today…when I should have been working. So easy to get distracted at home. Anyway…

Battle
Lisicky
Reaves
Stevens
Booth

But since I can only spend $15…

Stevens
Battle
Reaves
Hayes
Lang

Arnelle
Lisicky
Carr
Garner
Kline-Heard

PS. Thanks for throwing this out there. Totally awesome!

2 Likes

Oh trying to think who would mesh together well and fit the cap is fun and complicated.

Jan Jagla $1
Jarrett Stephens $3
Josh Reeves $2
Talor Battle $5
Tim Frazier $4

Hovasse is a steal for $1

2 Likes

Hovasse
josh
Booth
Claxton
DJ or Tim

Frazier
Ivory
Claxton
Brooks
Brickowski

I ended up with
1: Carr $3
2: Newbill $4
3: Reaves $2
4: Stephens $3
5. Amaechi $3

I tried to value defense and facilitation as well- Carr would have a wide spread of options to dish it to. Didn’t pick any $5 simply because they’re not substantially better than the others (aside from maybe Arnelle and rebounding). Guys like Stevens have so many points due to high volume which they wouldn’t necessarily need on an all star team.

This brings us to another follow up - who is the most overrated? Underrated? Best $1?

Lisicky $4
Frazier $4
Reaves $2
Cornley $2
Amaechi $3

Give me two more dollars and I’ll fill out the bench with Jan Jagla $1, Jeff Brooks $1, and Bob Weiss FA.

1 Like

Just for comparison sakes:

1996:
PG: Dan Earl $2
SG: Pete Lisicky $4
SF: Glenn Sekunda $1
PF: Matt Gaudio $1
C: Calvin Booth $5
Bench: Jarrett Stepens $3
Total: $15

2018:
PG: Tony Carr $3
SG: Shep Garner $2
SF: Josh Reaves: $2
PF: Lamar Stevens: $5
C: Mike Watkins $4
Total: $16

2001:
PG: Joe Crispin $5
SG: Jon Crispin $0
SF: Titus Ivory $4
PF: Tyler Smith $1
C: Gyasi Cline-Heard $1
Bench: Brandon Watkins $1
Total: $12

Most underrated is undoubtedly Bob Weiss. You can get a 12 year NBA veteran for nothing. He leads all PSU players in NBA games and minutes played. I’ll go with a sure to be controversial Jan Jagla for the best $1. He played high level Euro ball for a decade including backing up Dirk Nowitski on the German National and Olympic teams.

1 Like

Lamar
Melle
Josh
Shep
Mike

1 Like

In terms of just PSU performance it’s quite clear to me that the most underrated is Ron (not Rob) Brown.

Brown is PSU’s all-time steals leader (2 more than Josh Reaves) averaging 3.5 steals per game over his 3-year career (Reaves averaged 2.1). He is in the top 15 all-time for assists, averaging 4.8 per game, topped only by Tim Frazier (#1) at 5.7 per game. Finally, he ranks 8th all-time in scoring average with 16.2 points per game.

6 Likes

Him and Freddie Barnes were a fantastic back court for $2.

1 Like

Lamar Stevens
Tim Frazier
JA13
Josh Reaves
Jeff Brooks