Big Ten 1st Team (Defense)

G Kramer
G Babb
G Lighty
F Johnson (purdue)
c Sampson III

coach: Bo Ryan

thoughts?

Babb really doesn’t have a chance. I’d assume someone like Lauderdale with the other 4 that you have (remember, they don’t really care about positions, just any 5 guys).

[quote=“ezcheez, post:1, topic:923”]1st Team
G Lucas
G Battle
G Turner
F Hummel
F Johnson

G Kramer
G Babb
G Lighty
F Johnson (purdue)
c Sampson III

thoughts?[/quote]

I don’t see why Lucas makes it. Look at his numbers. 14.9ppg, assist/TO ratio not great, doesn’t rebound. I think I’d go with the top 5 scorers, except I’d drop Sims, who’s 5th, in favor of Johnson.

Turner
Battle
Shurna (tough to pick Hummel as he’s hurt and Shurna beats him in scoring, 3’s, assists and is close in rebounds. Hummel is 90% FTM’s, less TO’s)
Harris
Johnson (could easily be Sims as he scores more and is a better rebounder, and shoots 3’s)

Shurna

LOL

[quote="ezcheez, post:1, topic:923"]1st Team G Lucas G Battle G Turner F Hummel F Johnson

G Kramer
G Babb
G Lighty
F Johnson (purdue)
c Sampson III

thoughts?[/quote]

I don’t see why Lucas makes it. Look at his numbers. 14.9ppg, assist/TO ratio not great, doesn’t rebound. I think I’d go with the top 5 scorers, except I’d drop Sims, who’s 5th, in favor of Johnson.

Turner
Battle
Shurna (tough to pick Hummel as he’s hurt and Shurna beats him in scoring, 3’s, assists and is close in rebounds. Hummel is 90% FTM’s, less TO’s)
Harris
Johnson (could easily be Sims as he scores more and is a better rebounder, and shoots 3’s)

As long as Battle is on the team, do you really care who else is named?

Why Kramer???

Probably because he’s the best on ball defender in the Big Ten. If I had to choose a defensive player of the year, it would be Kramer.

Why Kramer?????????

Probably because he’s the best on ball defender in the Big Ten. If I had to choose a defensive player of the year, it would be Kramer.

I can’t stand any of the Purdue defenders (except Johnson). It’s been bothering me for years and it’s the only team I’ll regularly complain about. They ride people up and down the court all game long. Holy handcheckers batman.

Sadly - that is the way the game is played nowadays.

[quote="LPcreation, post:8, topic:923"]I can't stand any of the Purdue defenders (except Johnson). It's been bothering me for years and it's the only team I'll regularly complain about. They ride people up and down the court all game long. Holy handcheckers batman.[/quote]

I’m fairly young so I don’t know how it used to be played but I do know that PU brings handchecking to a whole new level. I don’t know how they get away with it on a weekly basis.

I know…the tone has been set. ::slight_smile:

[quote="LPcreation, post:8, topic:923"]I can't stand any of the Purdue defenders (except Johnson). It's been bothering me for years and it's the only team I'll regularly complain about. They ride people up and down the court all game long. Holy handcheckers batman.[/quote]

I’m fairly young so I don’t know how it used to be played but I do know that PU brings handchecking to a whole new level. I don’t know how they get away with it on a weekly basis.

I know…the tone has been set. ::slight_smile:

That was pretty brutal. Very smart to slow down cutters, as it screws up the whole offense. IMO, way to beat this is to widely spread the floor, then cuts without being slowed down too much are easier, and it also allows dribble/drive. Also, going to the hole would’ve had Johnson trying to stop every shot. PU’s guards couldn’t handle both Battle and Frazier driving. Maybe one, but not both. Not quick enough to stop them both. NW won going inside and benching Johnson. IMO, our bigs get intimidated and start playing away from the pain. Can’t do that. Gotta attack the pain. Battle posted him up once and got fouled. Nobody else can do that regularly?

I noticed even Jamelle used to not go inside vs. some teams, but those were teams with 7 footers, e.g., Mullens and Tisdale, where he couldn’t get his shot off not matter how tough he was or how good his position. But our bigs are shying away from guys shorter than them, and most teams are shorter. You know where Jamelle would’ve really been helpful this year? Really every team, but definitely vs. OSU and MSU. He would’ve eaten Lauderdale and the MSU bigs alive. Those most likely would’ve been 3 wins. Not sure about Minny and PU, as Sampson and Johnson tall and athletic. Jamelle had problems vs. those types.

Our defense as a whole probably isn’t good enough for anybody to get named to an all defense team.

[quote author=UncleLar link=topic=940.msg19290#msg19290 date=1267983373]

Babb really doesn't have a chance. I'd assume someone like Lauderdale with the other 4 that you have (remember, they don't really care about positions, just any 5 guys). [/quote

Our defense as a whole probably isn’t good enough for anybody to get named to an all defense team.

I’d say you’re right. I think I’d include Trevon Hughes on the team. I think Wisky’s #1 in lowest points allowed. Think I’d go:

Kramer, Hughes, Johnson, Turner, Lighty. DeShawn Sims might be my other choice, edging out Turner.

First Team
Turner - the only no-brainer of the bunch.
E-Twaun Moore - I said it before, I’ll say it again. He’s their Titus Ivory and is deserving of this spot.
Lucas - all he had to do this year to be named was to walk onto the court and fart. If it was up to me, he’d be Second Team at best. The only more overrated player in the league is Manny Harris. But he’s Kalin Lucas, so look for him here…yuck.
Sims - I don’t like Michigan’s team and think they play stupid ball. But that’s not Sims fault. Beilein is a goof of a coach for not feeding this Beast more often and relying on the Chuck and Duck.
If he’s not on the First Team, it’s his team’s and coach’s fault.
McCamey - he should slide down to the 2nd team following the Illini’s late season collapse and be replaced by…

Second Team
Trevon Hughes - He’s the straw that stirs Bo’s Wisky and might grab First Team honors for his efforts.
Battle - as much as I think Battle is the 3rd or 4th best player in the league, I just can’t see a player from the 11th place team on the First Team. Same could be said of Sims who is on the list above.
David Lighty - love his game, though everyone on Ohio State gets overshadowed by ET.
Robby Hummel - still feel bad for the kid. Would get a First Team nod if not for his injury.
JuJuan Johnson - late season surge after Hummel’s injury should net him a 2nd team look, if not Sims spot on the First Team.

Draymond Green is an interesting player who I really like and deserves to be on one of the team’s above. IMO he’s played a lot better than Lucas.

Manny Harris doesn’t belong on either team above. I’ll shake my head if I see him on anything other than 3rd team or HM. Yeah, he’s got mad hoop skillz and can score the ball, but he’s never impressed me.

Jon Leuer is a dynamic player. Too bad he was injured for most of the season as he would easily be on the First Team.

I’m not quite sold on Shurna for one of the top two teams, only because NW didn’t finish all that well.

I’m sure I’m missing others, but that’s the way I see it shaking out.

Turner
Johnson
Lucas
Battle
Hughes or MCamey…can’t make up my mind

Hey, everybody play 3 guards anyway.

2nd team
Harris
Sims
Lighty
Moore
Hughes or Mccamey

I know after winning POTY, hard to knock Lucas off, but he doesn’t deserve it. 14th in scoring, 7th in assists(6th if you knock out Nolen), not a good trey shooter, doesn’t rebound. Don’t see it at all. Exactly, what is he good at? People looking back to last year.

Totally agree kid. But like I said, I have a funny feeling that all he had to do is walk onto the court and fart this season and pretty much that’s all he did. Draymond Green deserves to be a First Teamer more than his much more heralded teammate.

If I had a vote…(what I did in my post above is how I feel it will shake out)…these five deserve my vote.

Turner - no brainer
Moore - had a solid year throughout for a 1st place team. JJohnson came on late.
Green - best player on one of the 1st place teams…Lucas should step aside.
Hughes - slight edge over McCamey based on what went down yesterday in Champaign.
Battle - the players/coaches know how good of a season he had, regardless of the team’s record. Trust me,I am not putting on my B&W goggles for this pick. If he were to replace Lucas or McCamey on their respective squads, MSU and Illinois would be better teams…period.

I’ve been going back and forth on putting Sims or Battle or even McCamey in that last spot. DMac had it pretty much sewn up until the last four game stretch for the Illini. But I feel you have to have the top four teams of the conference represented and then pick the best remaining player of the bunch. Could be JJohnson or Lucas (yuck). But if Lucas were to be named to the First Team, then Green will be bumped down.

[quote="ezcheez, post:1, topic:923"]1st Team G Lucas G Battle G Turner F Hummel F Johnson

G Kramer
G Babb
G Lighty
F Johnson (purdue)
c Sampson III

thoughts?[/quote]

Turner
Battle
Harris

1 for 5. Better luck next time kid. :wink:

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:14, topic:923”]First Team
Turner - the only no-brainer of the bunch.
E-Twan Moore - I said it before, I’ll say it again. He’s their Titus Ivory and is deserving of this spot.
Lucas - all he had to do this year to be named was to walk onto the court and fart. If it was up to me, he’d be Second Team at best. The only more overrated player in the league is Manny Harris. But he’s Kalin Lucas, so look for him here…yuck.
Sims - I don’t like Michigan’s team and think they play stupid ball. But that’s not Sims fault. Beilein is a goof of a coach for not feeding this Beast more often and relying on the Chuck and Duck.
If he’s not on the First Team, it’s his team’s and coach’s fault.
McCamey - he should slide down to the 2nd team following the Illini’s late season collapse and be replaced by…

Second Team
Trevon Hughes - He’s the straw that stirs Bo’s Wisky and might grab First Team honors for his efforts.
Battle - as much as I think Battle is the 3rd or 4th best player in the league, I just can’t see a player from the 11th place team on the First Team. Same could be said of Sims who is on the list above.
David Lighty - love his game, though everyone on Ohio State gets overshadowed by ET.
Robby Hummel - still feel bad for the kid. Would get a First Team nod if not for his injury.
JuJuan Johnson - late season surge after Hummel’s injury should net him a 2nd team look, if not Sims spot on the First Team.

Draymond Green is an interesting player who I really like and deserves to be on one of the team’s above. IMO he’s played a lot better than Lucas.

Manny Harris doesn’t belong on either team above. I’ll shake my head if I see him on anything other than 3rd team or HM. Yeah, he’s got mad hoop skillz and can score the ball, but he’s never impressed me.

Jon Leuer is a dynamic player. Too bad he was injured for most of the season as he would easily be on the First Team.

I’m not quite sold on Shurna for one of the top two teams, only because NW didn’t finish all that well.

I’m sure I’m missing others, but that’s the way I see it shaking out.[/quote]
Well done. 4 for 5 on the first team and 3 for 5 on the second team. All in all, 9 for 10 on both teams. Seems Shurna doesn’t get enough love from you though. :wink:

What about the All-Freshman team.

Does Frazier or Edwards have a chance?