PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

After 500 minutes .. Footers in .. Walls Up .. Roof Next

Time for another update since we’re at the 500 minute mark … well really 520 … 3 more updates to come … after 6 league games, after 12 and end of year.
Personally I’m much more than pleased … near ecstatic probably more accurate … with what I’m seeing from this young team and new coaching staff.
Particularly pleased to see Tim gain control of his speed of play as it relates to his teammates.
He needed to ( and has ) ratcheted it down a notch. His teammates needed to ( and have ) ratcheted it up a notch.
Now have more frequent and longer periods where they are in synch and playing as a team.

Offensively this was critical to improving their shooting %. Some of it simply because there are shots other than treys that are now open.
Apparent both when they run set plays or when Tim/Jermaine/Trey drive and others need to adlib.
Folks are now in position both ‘on the mark’ and on time.

Defensively, the synchronization was less a speed issue and more just getting experience with playing team as opposed to individual defense.
Admittedly a long way to go … particularly on drives and pitches to 3 pt shooters.

Positives ( in no particular order )

• Starting Lineup set ( Tim, Jermaine, Billy, Glover, Travis )
  • Woodyard as 6th man offensively
  • Sasa starting to ‘loosen up” … believe he has skills
  • 9 man rotation with Graham back

What We’ll See Next

• Travis play well against teams like Michigan, Iowa, Northwestern … especially if they’re missing 3’s
  • Graham minutes go from a few to 20 as he gets healthy
  • Tim’s minutes decrease as Trey settles in
  • Couple of ass whippings … but … none at home

What We Still Need

• 3 pt shooter from the corners
  • Sasa to develop a little jump hook
  • 70%+ foul shooting

[size=14pt][move][color=red][size=14pt]NCAA a given next year … Sweet 16 in 2014 starting to loom[/size][/color][/move][/size]

[quote=“jlr820, post:1, topic:2940”]What We Still Need

• 70%+ foul shooting

[size=14pt][move][color=red][size=14pt]NCAA a given next year … Sweet 16 in 2014 starting to loom[/size][/color][/move][/size][/quote]

I think one of the big guys has to magically start playing like Jarret Stephens or John Amaechi did when they were sophomores. Not a 16-19 point per game scoring threat on the post, but maybe 11-13 and gets fouled a lot and goes to the line rather than having their shot straight up rejected. It could be a jump hook by Sasa, it’s a player scoring inside with his best games being 18-20 points and bad games being single digits.

Then I might feel cautiously ecstatic about the team. I feel better than I expected to 5 months ago.

[quote=“jlr820, post:1, topic:2940”]Time for another update since we’re at the 500 minute mark … well really 520 … 3 more updates to come … after 6 league games, after 12 and end of year.
Personally I’m much more than pleased … near ecstatic probably more accurate … with what I’m seeing from this young team and new coaching staff.
Particularly pleased to see Tim gain control of his speed of play as it relates to his teammates.
He needed to ( and has ) ratcheted it down a notch. His teammates needed to ( and have ) ratcheted it up a notch.
Now have more frequent and longer periods where they are in synch and playing as a team.

Offensively this was critical to improving their shooting %. Some of it simply because there are shots other than treys that are now open.
Apparent both when they run set plays or when Tim/Jermaine/Trey drive and others need to adlib.
Folks are now in position both ‘on the mark’ and on time.

Defensively, the synchronization was less a speed issue and more just getting experience with playing team as opposed to individual defense.
Admittedly a long way to go … particularly on drives and pitches to 3 pt shooters.

Positives ( in no particular order )

• Starting Lineup set ( Tim, Jermaine, Billy, Glover, Travis )
  • Woodyard as 6th man offensively
  • Sasa starting to ‘loosen up” … believe he has skills
  • 9 man rotation with Graham back

What We’ll See Next

• Travis play well against teams like Michigan, Iowa, Northwestern … especially if they’re missing 3’s
  • Graham minutes go from a few to 20 as he gets healthy
  • Tim’s minutes decrease as Trey settles in
  • Couple of ass whippings … but … none at home

What We Still Need

• 70%+ foul shooting

[size=14pt][move][color=red][size=14pt]NCAA a given next year … Sweet 16 in 2014 starting to loom[/size][/color][/move][/size][/quote]

NCAA is a given? You make it seem like it is some easy task. I would love to see it happen, don’t get me wrong, but there is a lot more work that needs done. Mainly defensively

No knock on the present kids…BUT…I think the signed and verbal recruits plus future recruits will spell our future. Love Newbill and Thorpe. The list of names that appear to be seriously mention PSU is VERY impressive.

[quote=“jlr820, post:1, topic:2940”]What We Still Need

• 70%+ foul shooting[/quote]

What PSU needs is reliable 2pt shooting and needs it badly.

Last year, the top five shot takers were all shooting at least 42% from the floor.

This year, only one is shooting above 39% with the best being Frazier’s 41%.

One win over .500 in the Big Ten is enough to make the NCAAs in most years, provided you don’t pooch the OOC by scheduling RPI losers. The NCAA is not the goal, consistent success is, in my opinion. No valleys.

We need to add another shooter and another banger to this group, and then keep then pipeline filled.

Shoot Tim, we need A shooter. I still think Trey is going to be that guy. He’s got good range and a soft shot, the only thing that I worry about is that it takes him too long to get his shot off. I’m afraid if he starts rushing it, his accuracy is going to suffer.

I think if we can find 1 guy to shoot the ball well consistently, other guys that are ok shooters will start knocking them down too. Domino effect type thing.

[quote=“tjb, post:6, topic:2940”]One win over .500 in the Big Ten is enough to make the NCAAs in most years, provided you don’t pooch the OOC by scheduling RPI losers. The NCAA is not the goal, consistent success is, in my opinion. No valleys.

We need to add another shooter and another banger to this group, and then keep then pipeline filled.[/quote]

Newbill, Taylor, Maduegbunam?

The guys on our radar seem to be the type to keep the pipeline filled. We just need to land enough of them.

Consistent success to me means the NIT is a valley for us.

One win over .500 in the Big Ten is enough to make the NCAAs in most years, provided you don't pooch the OOC by scheduling RPI losers. The NCAA is not the goal, consistent success is, in my opinion. No valleys.

We need to add another shooter and another banger to this group, and then keep then pipeline filled.

Newbill, Taylor, Maduegbunam?

The guys on our radar seem to be the type to keep the pipeline filled. We just need to land enough of them.

Consistent success to me means the NIT is a valley for us.

By shooter, I mean someone who can hit the kind of three to answer an opponent’s rally. Titus, Pete, The Great Dan Earl, Danny. The guys we have in the chute seem to be combo-, scorer types, not shooters.

I think Maduegbunam will be that guy. Or at least try to be.

[quote=“tjb, post:6, topic:2940”][/quote]

By shooter, I mean someone who can hit the kind of three to answer an opponent’s rally. Titus, Pete, The Great Dan Earl, Danny. The guys we have in the chute seem to be combo-, scorer types, not shooters.
[/quote]

Excellent way to describe the shooter needed … also agree none of the current guys seem to be of that ilk … Trey seems closest to me … if only because I think his has that attitude …
My recollection is that Titus ‘grew’ into that over his career … hoping a couple of present and future guys step up

NCAA a given next year? I’ll hope they can make a run in the NIT. Depends on how good Newbill is.

There seems to be some cracks in the foundation