Access to Pennstatehoops.com

Lately the last week or ten days I have had trouble accessing the site’s web page. Has anyone else been having trouble accessing the site?

Yep, there have been some server issues. It’s mentioned in a thread somewhere. The boss is aware.

Yes, I just upgraded the server – doubled the RAM.

I have not pored through the server logs to figure out for certain if I’ve got some crappy code bogging things down, but my cursory glance makes it appear that it is nothing more than a high volume, but expectable, level of traffic.

Of course, I have been so busy that I can’t tell when someone is being obviously sarcastic, who knows what those error logs are really showing!

I know the site has been ad-free for all the years I’ve been using it, and perhaps you’ll want to keep it that way forever, Tim.

But I certainly wouldn’t be offended if you started to run a few google adwords links here and there. Although I use ad-block on a few annoying sites with pop-ups/pop-unders/disgusting flash ads, I actually generally like ads on small well-run sites like this, because it means the proprietors can hopefully pay for the infrastructure to keep the community plumbing well-oiled and functioning. With the traffic this site generates during the season, I can imagine it chews through quite a few bits, and the servers and pipes to carry those aren’t free.

Basically, I wanted to say thanks, and if there are ways to support the site other than your occasional pledge drives, I’m all in favor.

[quote="tjb, post:3, topic:434"]Yes, I just upgraded the server -- doubled the RAM.[/quote]

I know the site has been ad-free for all the years I’ve been using it, and perhaps you’ll want to keep it that way forever, Tim.

But I certainly wouldn’t be offended if you started to run a few google adwords links here and there. Although I use ad-block on a few annoying sites with pop-ups/pop-unders/disgusting flash ads, I actually generally like ads on small well-run sites like this, because it means the proprietors can hopefully pay for the infrastructure to keep the community plumbing well-oiled and functioning. With the traffic this site generates during the season, I can imagine it chews through quite a few bits, and the servers and pipes to carry those aren’t free.

Basically, I wanted to say thanks, and if there are ways to support the site other than your occasional pledge drives, I’m all in favor.

If it came down to needing ads to pay for this, I’d gladly increase my donation. I donated the amount I did because it was about 1/30th the cost that I think Tim said it was for the year. And, since I don’t see the donation link anywhere, I’d assume we’ll have our annual fund drive around March Madness (good time for that due to the increased traffic here – especially if we are still playing somewhere). So, basically, what I’m saying is that I’m committed to paying 1/30th of the cost of this site every year, up to about $50 or so.

[quote="tjb, post:3, topic:434"]Yes, I just upgraded the server -- doubled the RAM.[/quote]

He’s got a longtime deal with PSU that allows him to use the Penn State name that might get revoked if he puts up ads. Then again, they probably could revoke the deal at any point and Tim would have little recourse (fyi - I stand ready to hand over HappyValleyHoops to him should that happen, so there is a backup plan in place).

There was some money left over in the contributions account, and I used some of it for the RAM and will apply the rest to the next yearly tab.

[quote=“tjb, post:3, topic:434”]Yes, I just upgraded the server – doubled the RAM.

I have not pored through the server logs to figure out for certain if I’ve got some crappy code bogging things down, but my cursory glance makes it appear that it is nothing more than a high volume, but expectable, level of traffic.

Of course, I have been so busy that I can’t tell when someone is being obviously sarcastic, who knows what those error logs are really showing! [/quote]

I am momentarily off the hamster wheel I have been on for what seems like the last two months. :slight_smile:

It turns out the RAM was not installed until, I think, last night. When we did not crash during the UMBC game I assumed it was in. Turns out there was as much interest in that game here as there was in the University Park vicinity.

Tonight we’ll see how we do, although home games are not the test – big away games are. But hopefully it will have made a difference.

Makes sense from a traffic perspective.

Though, even when I’m sitting in the stands, I’ve found that following the game via the board’s in game thread is really really useful for understanding everything I’m seeing on the court. During timeouts and halftime, if I can get a good 3G signal from the suckitude that is AT&T, I usually read as much as I can.

[quote="tjb, post:8, topic:434"]Tonight we'll see how we do, although home games are not the test -- big away games are. But hopefully it will have made a difference.[/quote]

Makes sense from a traffic perspective.

Though, even when I’m sitting in the stands, I’ve found that following the game via the board’s in game thread is really really useful for understanding everything I’m seeing on the court. During timeouts and halftime, if I can get a good 3G signal from the suckitude that is AT&T, I usually read as much as I can.

This link for a mobile-friendly version of the forum is always at the top of the forum, but it can be easy to miss:

http://pennstatehoops.com/talk/index.php?wap2

[quote=“tjb, post:10, topic:434”]This link for a mobile-friendly version of the forum is always at the top of the forum, but it can be easy to miss:

http://pennstatehoops.com/talk/index.php?wap2[/quote]

Good reminder. I’ve got it set as a Safari Bookmark on my applications screen.

I’m not sure how customizable it is, but there are a couple small things that make it harder to use:

1. Links do not work
  2. Quoting highlighting does not work.

If there was a way to fix that, it’d be pretty much perfect.

[quote="tjb, post:10, topic:434"]This link for a mobile-friendly version of the forum is always at the top of the forum, but it can be easy to miss:

http://pennstatehoops.com/talk/index.php?wap2[/quote]

Good reminder. I’ve got it set as a Safari Bookmark on my applications screen.

I’m not sure how customizable it is, but there are a couple small things that make it harder to use:

1. Links do not work
  2. Quoting highlighting does not work.

If there was a way to fix that, it’d be pretty much perfect.

Yes, both of those things can be annoying. I’ll add that to my list of things to look into.

Link to contribute is where?

[quote="tjb, post:7, topic:434"]There was some money left over in the contributions account, and I used some of it for the RAM and will apply the rest to the next yearly tab.[/quote]

Link to contribute is where?

People are so generous that we only reveal the link when we are out of money. And then we get too much, which is why there is still money in the account. We are a few months away from renewal, I’ll try to plan ahead a little better this year.