A way to salvage season?

The studio announcer on the BTN said after the game that Talor Battle doesn’t trust his teammates, and he should. If someone was inside with their back to the basket, they’d get the ball. But with Brooks or Jones at the arc, is passing the ball to them going to accomplish anything, other than giving him the ball back with 3 seconds on the clock? So, he drives or shoots a 3, probably the best options.

IMO, to win, someone needs to be play to receive the ball near the paint, back to basket. PSU does not do this, almost ever. Below is Pete Newell’s offense, basically a triangle offense, its signature move being the weakside cut off the post screen. But it requires someone playing with their back to the basket, and interestingly, on the signature move, the cut, that post person doesn’t even touch the ball. Would that be too hard to do for PSU bigs?

I’m not saying this has to be the offense, but the principal of spacing is key, and IMO, this along with what I see as terrible, half hearted screening, is the major problem. Just the description of this offense makes me think it would work, but it does require precise execution, including good screens. It’s so simple to run. One page explains it all.

If we don’t get our bigs involved, as bigs, the season is over, and may be already, but IMO, you have to dance with who you brung, ao you gotta try something. You just have to use them where they can help, and at the arc isn’t it. Fuller was zero help at the arc today for Iowa.

http://www.cybersportsusa.com/hooptactics/freesite/offstrategies/motionoffense/reverseaction1.asp

[quote=“kidcoyote, post:1, topic:667”]The studio announcer on the BTN said after the game that Talor Battle doesn’t trust his teammates, and he should. If someone was inside with their back to the basket, they’d get the ball. But with Brooks or Jones at the arc, is passing the ball to them going to accomplish anything, other than giving him the ball back with 3 seconds on the clock? So, he drives or shoots a 3, probably the best options.

IMO, to win, someone needs to be play to receive the ball near the paint, back to basket. PSU does not do this, almost ever. Below is Pete Newell’s offense, basically a triangle offense, its signature move being the weakside cut off the post screen. But it requires someone playing with their back to the basket, and interestingly, on the signature move, the cut, that post person doesn’t even touch the ball. Would that be too hard to do for PSU bigs?

I’m not saying this has to be the offense, but the principal of spacing is key, and IMO, this along with what I see as terrible, half hearted screening, is the major problem. Just the description of this offense makes me think it would work, but it does require precise execution, including good screens. It’s so simple to run. One page explains it all.

If we don’t get our bigs involved, as bigs, the season is over, and may be already, but IMO, you have to dance with who you brung, ao you gotta try something. You just have to use them where they can help, and at the arc isn’t it. Fuller was zero help at the arc today for Iowa.

http://www.cybersportsusa.com/hooptactics/freesite/offstrategies/motionoffense/reverseaction1.asp[/quote]
Is kid the only guy who actually watches the game and recognizes the style of play, or lack thereof?

[quote="kidcoyote, post:1, topic:667"]The studio announcer on the BTN said after the game that Talor Battle doesn't trust his teammates, and he should. If someone was inside with their back to the basket, they'd get the ball. But with Brooks or Jones at the arc, is passing the ball to them going to accomplish anything, other than giving him the ball back with 3 seconds on the clock? So, he drives or shoots a 3, probably the best options.

http://www.cybersportsusa.com/hooptactics/freesite/offstrategies/motionoffense/reverseaction1.asp[/quote]
Is kid the only guy who actually watches the game and recognizes the style of play, or lack thereof?

No, many have been complaining for several years about the lack of a true half-court offense. Cornley was the only one willing and able to play with his back to the basket and although that didn’t always work out well (e.g., his shot was often blocked), it did open up free shots for others when he would pass the ball back out, especially against teams that did not have their own strong inside presence.

Either none of the current big men are willing or able to do that, or the head coach coach has not made it a priority. Our offense will continue to cost us games unless and until that changes.

[quote="kidcoyote, post:1, topic:667"]The studio announcer on the BTN said after the game that Talor Battle doesn't trust his teammates, and he should. If someone was inside with their back to the basket, they'd get the ball. But with Brooks or Jones at the arc, is passing the ball to them going to accomplish anything, other than giving him the ball back with 3 seconds on the clock? So, he drives or shoots a 3, probably the best options.

Nope…

Cole had 3 fouls in the 1st half. PSU should have posted Brooks, Jones, or Edwards down low to try and get the 4th foul. PSU stayed on the perimeter and Cole stayed out of foul trouble.

[quote=“ronbrownfan, post:3, topic:667”]No, many have been complaining for several years about the lack of a true half-court offense. Cornley was the only one willing and able to play with his back to the basket and although that didn’t always work out well (e.g., his shot was often blocked), it did open up free shots for others when he would pass the ball back out, especially against teams that did not have their own strong inside presence.

Either none of the current big men are willing or able to do that, or the head coach coach has not made it a priority. Our offense will continue to cost us games unless and until that changes.[/quote]

This is dead on re Cornley. It’s interesting that a guy 6’4" is willing to do this, but guys 6’7" and taller are not. Yes, I know he was strong, but they are taller and in most cases have better ups. Very often, our front line is taller, like vs. Va Tech, who had 4th tallest team in nation(their guards were big). But their center, Allen is 6’7", and we had a front line edge. UM’s Sims is 6’8", Fuller today is 6’7", and they just kill us inside, having their best games of the season.

I am not looking forward to playing Northwestern, much less MSU.

[quote="ronbrownfan, post:3, topic:667"]No, many have been complaining for several years about the lack of a true half-court offense. Cornley was the only one willing and able to play with his back to the basket and although that didn't always work out well (e.g., his shot was often blocked), it did open up free shots for others when he would pass the ball back out, especially against teams that did not have their own strong inside presence.

Either none of the current big men are willing or able to do that, or the head coach coach has not made it a priority. Our offense will continue to cost us games unless and until that changes.[/quote]

This is dead on re Cornley. It’s interesting that a guy 6’4" is willing to do this, but guys 6’7" and taller are not. Yes, I know he was strong, but they are taller and in most cases have better ups. Very often, our front line is taller, like vs. Va Tech, who had 4th tallest team in nation(their guards were big). But their center, Allen is 6’7", and we had a front line edge. UM’s Sims is 6’8", Fuller today is 6’7", and they just kill us inside, having their best games of the season.

I don’t think its lack of effort, but lack of ability. Jones tried posting up offensively at the beginning of the year. He ended up with tons of swatted shots and a fg% of 40%. No one on our roster has the ability to consistently beat a man who has position in the post.

Good point Dan!

There are no post players on this roster. Simple as that

[quote="ronbrownfan, post:3, topic:667"]No, many have been complaining for several years about the lack of a true half-court offense. Cornley was the only one willing and able to play with his back to the basket and although that didn't always work out well (e.g., his shot was often blocked), it did open up free shots for others when he would pass the ball back out, especially against teams that did not have their own strong inside presence.

I don’t think its lack of effort, but lack of ability. Jones tried posting up offensively at the beginning of the year. He ended up with tons of swatted shots and a fg% of 40%. No one on our roster has the ability to consistently beat a man who has position in the post.

Yes, there were some blocks, but often AJ pivoted away from the basket, using wrong foot to pivot, and would take and miss 10’ jumpers. Using his other foot, his inside foot, would have resulted in closer shots, but may have required a dribble. But what about a drop step?

Good point Dan!

Sasa knows how to play the post. His D is another story. Did you see Mirkovic on NU yesterday? 16 points, 10 rebounds. Yes, Johnson got in foul trouble, but that’s what happens you have someone play post play…the other team fouls your big men. I’d play a 1-3-1 with Sasa. Can it be any worse? There’s a distinct possibility PSU doesn’t win one conference game. See the NU v. Purdue score?

I am not saying PSU is great or CAN salvage the season. It’s just the way they’re attempting to play, with zero post play, is not a way you can win. It’s just impossible. Nobody in the conference can win without post play. Yesterday, Tisdale took one shot the whole game in their loss. Some on this board have talked regularly of Brooks being more a perimeter player or “wing”. Why is it all other teams have 6’7"+ guys who score inside? If we TRY that, may have a chance. Right now, PSU is like a football team who is trying to play without ever running the ball. Just won’t work. Inside play is roughly half the game, or should be.

Fitzpatrick?!?!

[quote="battlesway2, post:9, topic:667"]There are no post players on this roster. Simple as that[/quote]

Fitzpatrick?!?!

Kirkpatrick!!! Hey he did man the post in high school a little. …You never know
;D

It seems like I was right at the beginning of the season that this team can win or lose to everybody in the league. :frowning:

I think now is the time to play some of the you guys more. Brooks, Jones and Jackson aren’t showing they want or deserve the minutes, so I think we need to see what we get out of Sasa, Frazier, Edwards, Camm and even the walk-ons.

I didn’t get to watch yesterdays game and maybe that was a good thing. This kind of reminds me of the football team in 2005 when we went to 3 freshman receivers and a two-way freshman speedster.

The thing thats most disappointing to me is the mentality of our big men, especially Jones. He would rather pivot away from the basket or shoot a short jumper than explode TOWARD the basket, go up strong, and worst case scenario get fouled. Look at the Illinois game. Tisdale is 7 ft, but Jones should be able to take him. Tisdales arms are twigs, and really overall he’s not very strong, not nearly as strong as AJ IMO. Jones, or any of our big men, needs to recognize this, and go at him. If he blocks a few of your shots, so be it but the more you go at him the more fouls he picks up.

[quote="battlesway2, post:9, topic:667"]There are no post players on this roster. Simple as that[/quote]

Fitzpatrick?!?!

Kirkpatrick!!! Hey he did man the post in high school a little. …You never know
;D

Yeah, that’s who I meant…I guess I don’t know my walk-ons as well as I thought I did :stuck_out_tongue: