PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

A Sort of Homecoming

Living in Atlanta and not traveling all that much anymore, I don’t make it up to State College that often. Well, with the kids having a whole week off from school next week and my family gathering in Pennsylvania over the holiday, I decided to make the trek to check out the town this Saturday.

After having dealt with the scandal from afar, I feel I need to get back to Penn State and spend some time with my wife and kids walking through campus and town and just enjoying what has always made Penn State great in my mind.

Probably take the kids to see the women’s volleyball match vs Purdue…maybe slide over for a period of the Icers game vs Delaware…Creamery, Stickies at the Diner, and the like. I’ll probably ride past Paterno’s house just to show my kids where he lives…though they’ve seen enough of it on TV this past week ::slight_smile:

If any of you will be at the volleyball match and want to say ‘hi’, I might have my son wear his Georgia Bulldog sweatshirt or my wife wear something Illini or I might be wearing a yellow “MC” hat that I usually wear.

One question…where’s a good place on campus or in-town (other than a bar) to watch the football game with the family? At the HUB…some place downtown??? I was thinking my old fraternity house, but no one might be there and I’m not sure if it will be safe for a 40-something to hang out with teenage boys in State College. (I’m kidding…I think)

Hope to see a couple of you nitwits at the volleyball match so I can prove that there really is a live person behind all these Positive Vibes.

Peace y’all,
Marc

Have fun Marc! Unfortunately Ms. CAPPY and I will not be in S.C. this coming weekend. Champs on N. Atherton St. might be a good place to watch the game. They have a bar but there is a huge room in the front of the place away from the bar.

Enjoy! I won’t be at the volleyball match and will likely be at the swim meet. Great friend of mine works in UVA’s aports dept and is coming up for their meet.

If you haven’t been up in a while - you might notice a few changes. :stuck_out_tongue:

You might also consider Damon’s. It’s a little closer to campus than champs. They have 6 big-screen TV’s in their lounge downstairs.

Thanks Cappy and Mikey…sounds like two of the original Mouseketeers. :slight_smile:

I kind of wanted to hang around campus/town since the misses (wife and daughter) will want to shop around during the game while the boy and I check out the game.

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:4, topic:2845”]Thanks Cappy and Mikey…sounds like two of the original Mouseketeers. :slight_smile:

I kind of wanted to hang around campus/town since the misses (wife and daughter) will want to shop around during the game while the boy and I check out the game.[/quote]

I won’t be there this weekend. I’m going to the hockey game tonight in Delaware. My friend is having a “tailgate” at his house Saturday before the OSU game, so I’m going to that instead of the hockey game up there. I don’t really hang out much around town other than to eat – which is usually somewhere more fancy and with a bar, so I don’t have any other suggestions. Damon’s is usually a good place (I thought those all closed down. Guess I was wrong). Have fun!!

Both Champs and Damons are relatively kid-friendly as they have big-screen viewing rooms separate from the bar.
I have taken my family members to both.

In general though, Lar is probably the best info source for the State College establishments.

I think he uses a multi-year running average to rate them. :slight_smile:

Maybe the Gingerbread Man? It’s downtown.

I was at Champs last weekend after the game, and was surprised at their beer selection. If you like your craft beers, check them out.

NittanyIllini
Your makeing a good decision. I traveled to Pa. last week for the Nebraska game. I felt I needed to reach out to the “Penn State Family” and be with them to share some of the emotion. A family tragedy had happened and there was a strong pull to be there, around fellow family members.

After a week of being overwhelmed with all the negativity and scintalating headlines it was mentally healthy for me to see that Penn State was functioning as the campus and University that it always has been.

There was certainly a level of need (IMO) for us Penn Staters to embrace all that of a football Saturday, that could somehow assure us that WE ARE, bigger than this horrible scandal and bring us back to “our normal,” and I came away with more hope than I went in with.

I would agree that (1) Damon’s (ask if the basement is open) and (2) Champs could work for watching the game. If your staying at a motel you might just want to us their lobby area, which is what we do when we go to away games, waiting for a later PSU start.

I will be there on Sunday for the wrestling match against the #4 team in the country. I understand that there are still standing room only tickets if you and your son are wrestling fans, a really nice team to watch. HAVE A GREAT VISIT!

Yeah Duff…both you and I here in Atlanta…it’s been strange to kind of see all this happen without the support around. Though I will say I get more and more people from SEC and ACC schools that keep coming up to me, literally sending their “condolences”.

Anyway…I was going to bring my son to the Nebraska game until I found out that they had a week off for Thanksgiving and just decided to cruise through PA now. Would have liked to be up there last week, though not sure how my 10 year old would have reacted to all of this up close and personal.

pap…thanks for the heads up on the wrestling match on Sunday…we need to make our way elsewhere early in the day on Sunday, though.

So much to see and do on Saturday, maybe I’ll bypass watching the football game just to show the general public how this bleed blue and white fan is not all about football ;D

If you want to stay downtown, check out Rumors, the bar/lounge at The Atherton Hotel. They have a couple nice widescreen TVs and it is usually very quiet. While it is a bar, it is family friendly and I would be shocked if you have any college kids hanging out there.

Thanks a bunch NICU.

Currently in heaven at the Creamery…

I’ve learned one thing today…Penn State is so much more than football :wink:

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:14, topic:2845”]Currently in heaven at the Creamery…

I’ve learned one thing today…Penn State is so much more than football ;)[/quote]

ha ha - glad you’re enjoying your stay!!! Welcome home!

[quote=“Duff, post:9, topic:2845”]NittanyIllini
Your makeing a good decision. I traveled to Pa. last week for the Nebraska game. I felt I needed to reach out to the “Penn State Family” and be with them to share some of the emotion. A family tragedy had happened and there was a strong pull to be there, around fellow family members.

After a week of being overwhelmed with all the negativity and scintalating headlines it was mentally healthy for me to see that Penn State was functioning as the campus and University that it always has been.

There was certainly a level of need (IMO) for us Penn Staters to embrace all that of a football Saturday, that could somehow assure us that WE ARE, bigger than this horrible scandal and bring us back to “our normal,” and I came away with more hope than I went in with.

I would agree that (1) Damon’s (ask if the basement is open) and (2) Champs could work for watching the game. If your staying at a motel you might just want to us their lobby area, which is what we do when we go to away games, waiting for a later PSU start.[/quote]
Well said Duff. I also made the 7-8 hr drive (one way) to the Neb game last weekend. I just felt like I needed to be around other people who care about PSU and understand the situation. I’m glad I did so.

I just couldn’t leave this thread undone. So here’s a synopsis
of my trip back home to Penn State, with the help from U2’s
Bono and his lyrics from the song title that gave this thread
its name.

On November 19th, I took a journey to re-visit my past,
knowing that my past, as I once knew it, was never going
to be the same. But I felt compelled to see for myself how
those changes would affect me…

"And you know it's time to go
Through the sleet and driving snow
Across the fields of mourning
Light in the distance"

As I trekked up 322 and came upon Beaver Stadium…the
"Battleship Beaver" loomed larger than ever. But this once
symbol of strength and joy was now looked upon as the
shameful symbol of all that was wrong at Penn State.

"And you hunger for the time
Time to heal, desire, time
And your earth moves beneath
Your own dream landscape"

I stopped by the statue of Joe Paterno, still in its rightful place,
to see a smiling Joe with his finger pointing to the sky. It would
be a sad sight, knowing that that would be the only Joe Paterno
smiling in State College on this day. More haunting and troubling
were the words on the stone wall to the right of JoePa…“They ask
me what I’d like written about me when I’m gone. I hope they write
I made Penn State a better place, not just that i was a good football
coach.”

"The city walls are all come down
The dust, a smoke screen all around
See faces ploughed like fields that once
Gave no resistance"

I hit the main part of campus, but most of the students had
left for Thanksgiving Break. Still, of those mulling around, they
seemed lost in their own world. Down College Avenue, I got a
similar feel for there were less "hi"s and more passers by.

"And we live by the side of the road
On the side of a hill 
As the valley explodes
Dislocated, suffocated
The land grows weary of its own"

One store sold really nice “Penn State” team sweatshirts for a
mere ten bucks. Picked up a “Track and Field” one for my sister
who competed for the Blue and White.

"Oh, oh, oh on borderland we run 
And still we run
We run and don't look back"

I walked back on campus, and finally some familiarity came back
to bring me a smile as an Old Main squirrel came sprinting up to
me unafraid. And I walked past the Obelisk, and after all the school
had been through, it was still standing. Giving me hope that, yes,
there is still some innocence remaining at Penn State.

"I'll be there tonight I believe
I'll be there somehow
I'll be there tonight
Tonight"

As the sun dipped behind the buildings, I made my way past the
Paterno Library and headed east, landing in another familiar spot
to give me further comfort…The Creamery. Peachy Paterno was
still on the menu. The place was packed with smiling faces.

"Tonight we'll build a bridge 
Across the sea and land"

After catching the end of the Penn State/Ohio State football game
at the HUB with a couple dozen other fans, I headed back west.
Stopping by the Nittany Lion statue, I saw more smiling faces of
adoring fans, including a wedding party there to take pictures.

"See the sky, the burning rain
She will die and live again
Tonight"

Finally, I entered Rec Hall for a women’s volleyball match and much
to my delight, it was the same as I remembered it when I graduated
from that glorious place 23 years ago. And despite the students being
absent, the crowd of five-thousand warmed the building and all the
Nittany Lion souls, as the Ladies pulled out a big win over Purdue.

"And your heart beats so slow
Through the rain and fallen snow
Across the fields of mourning
Light's in the distance"

I finished my day with a plate of stickies at The Diner. For all that has
changed, it was really nice to see that a lot has remained the same.

"Oh don't sorrow, no don't weep
For tonight, at last
I am coming home
I am coming home"

For those of you who have been away for far too long, it is now time to
come home and re-connect with Penn State. I am so glad that I did.

NI, thanks. That song has been in my head all day. I’m going to have to break out that CD when I get home and crank up the volume.

Without turning this into the music thread, U2 is one of the best groups of all time, from their Boy to Auchtung Baby.

Then they did Zooropa, and it’s been all downhill ever since. :’(

[quote=“Skeeza, post:19, topic:2845”]Without turning this into the music thread, U2 is one of the best groups of all time, from their Boy to Auchtung Baby.

Then they did Zooropa, and it’s been all downhill ever since. :’([/quote]

About the same path as REM. They were great from their first (Murmur?) until Out of Time. Then they rolled downhill just as quickly. Both have had good songs since. But not great albums – in my opinion anyway.