A scoring explanation/Wisconsin game?

I noted two things about the game and the official statistics that I need some help understanding.

1. Frazier went well above the crowd to try a tip-in which missed. However, he was not credited with any offensive rebounds.

2. Edwards dribbled about 1/4 of the length of the floor and had the ball stolen while dribbling. However, he was not credited with any turnovers.

I often think I remember things that don’t come out in the official stats. In these two instances, the situation was very clear and easy to remember. Neither player had another entry in the stat to possibly confuse the situation.

Any help is appreciated.

My guess: botches.

Check the play-by-play and see what was officially scored for those 2 plays.

[quote=“phoenix, post:1, topic:593”]I noted two things about the game and the official statistics that I need some help understanding.

1. Frazier went well above the crowd to try a tip-in which missed. However, he was not credited with any offensive rebounds.

2. Edwards dribbled about 1/4 of the length of the floor and had the ball stolen while dribbling. However, he was not credited with any turnovers.

I often think I remember things that don’t come out in the official stats. In these two instances, the situation was very clear and easy to remember. Neither player had another entry in the stat to possibly confuse the situation.

Any help is appreciated.[/quote]

I noticed the same thing regarding Edwards and planned on finding the exact spot in the game that it happened and turning it in tomorrow. I’ll look for the Frazier rebound and do the same thing (if I remember correctly Frazier was fouled on the play but still should have gotten an offensive rebound).

[quote="phoenix, post:1, topic:593"]I noted two things about the game and the official statistics that I need some help understanding.

Any help is appreciated.[/quote]

I noticed the same thing regarding Edwards and planned on finding the exact spot in the game that it happened and turning it in tomorrow. I’ll look for the Frazier rebound and do the same thing (if I remember correctly Frazier was fouled on the play but still should have gotten an offensive rebound).

Thanks. My memory is that Frazier was not fouled on the play. The incidents tend to make one a little more wary of depending too much on the statistics.

I don’t think he was fouled on that play. I’m pretty sure he kept the ball alive but missed the tip (maybe it went to Ott and he got fouled?).

He got fouled on the fast break when he should’ve dumped it to Talor.

Found this…Rebounds are credited to the first player that gains clear possession of the ball or to a player that successfully deflects the ball into the basket for a score.

Don’t know if it applies.

On the Edwards turnover, the play by play reads:

REBOUND (DEF) by (TEAM) 11:17 MISSED JUMPER by Evans, Ryan
TURNOVR by Battle,Talor 11:11

The scorers butchered this sequence:
The Wisconsin shot was by #11 Jordan Taylor, not Ryan Evans
The rebound was by Bill Edwards, not a TEAM rebound.
And Edwards turned the ball over, not Battle.

I turned it in. Hopefully, it will get fixed and they won’t get aggravated by me for correcting their mistakes like people on this board seem to. :wink:

On the Frazier tip in, perhaps this was the play in question (it’s not the one that I was thinking of)

MISSED JUMPER by Frazier,Tim 09:27
REBOUND (OFF) by Brooks,Jeff 09:27
GOOD! LAYUP by Brooks,Jeff [PNT] 09:22

After missing the jumper, Frazier did try a tip-in and missed but Brooks got the rebound. Officially, Frazier should have been awarded a rebound and a missed FGA even though he did not cleanly gain possession (tip in tries are an exception to the clearly gain possession guideline). The scorers missed this one but tip-ins are easy to miss.

I’ve been told that the “c team” was doing the scoring on Sunday. Apparently, there were a couple of births and the holidays which played havoc with the stat team assignments. They were already working on cleaning up the box today so hopefully we’ll see the above fixed.

[quote=“UncleLar, post:8, topic:593”]On the Edwards turnover, the play by play reads:

I turned it in. Hopefully, it will get fixed and they won’t get aggravated by me for correcting their mistakes like people on this board seem to. ;)[/quote]

This one’s been fixed.

REBOUND (DEF) by Edwards,Bill 11:17 MISSED 3 PTR by Taylor, Jordan
TURNOVR by Edwards,Bill 11:11

[quote=“UncleLar, post:9, topic:593”]On the Frazier tip in, perhaps this was the play in question (it’s not the one that I was thinking of)

After missing the jumper, Frazier did try a tip-in and missed but Brooks got the rebound. Officially, Frazier should have been awarded a rebound and a missed FGA even though he did not cleanly gain possession (tip in tries are an exception to the clearly gain possession guideline). The scorers missed this one but tip-ins are easy to miss.[/quote]

And so has this one:

REBOUND (OFF) by Frazier,Tim 09:26
MISSED LAYUP by Frazier,Tim 09:25
REBOUND (OFF) by Brooks,Jeff 09:24

[quote="UncleLar, post:9, topic:593"]On the Frazier tip in, perhaps this was the play in question (it's not the one that I was thinking of)

After missing the jumper, Frazier did try a tip-in and missed but Brooks got the rebound. Officially, Frazier should have been awarded a rebound and a missed FGA even though he did not cleanly gain possession (tip in tries are an exception to the clearly gain possession guideline). The scorers missed this one but tip-ins are easy to miss.[/quote]

And so has this one:

Thank god someone is on top of this. Now maybe they can go back through all of the earlier games and find those missing stats that I’m sure are being put up by all of our bigs.

It all goes back to that article Tim posted the other day. It’s hard being good at the StatCrew software. Very hard.

[quote="UncleLar, post:9, topic:593"]On the Frazier tip in, perhaps this was the play in question (it's not the one that I was thinking of)

And so has this one:

Thank god someone is on top of this. Now maybe they can go back through all of the earlier games and find those missing stats that I’m sure are being put up by all of our bigs.

Could you not have let a simple thread requesting information pass without taking a shot at the players?

[quote=“UncleLar, post:8, topic:593”]On the Edwards turnover, the play by play reads:

I turned it in. Hopefully, it will get fixed and they won’t get aggravated by me for correcting their mistakes like people on this board seem to. ;)[/quote]

Here Here!

I thank the Good Lord and heaven above every day that you are here to correct the mistakes of everyone on this board!

Oh me oh my, what would we do without you to guide us through our dark lost times oh wise old sage?

On the Edwards turnover, the play by play reads:

I turned it in. Hopefully, it will get fixed and they won’t get aggravated by me for correcting their mistakes like people on this board seem to. :wink:

Here Here!

I thank the Good Lord and heaven above every day that you are here to correct the mistakes of everyone on this board!

Oh me oh my, what would we do without you to guide us through our dark lost times oh wise old sage?

Unlike you, UncleLar actually adds something to this board.

[quote="UncleLar, post:8, topic:593"]On the Edwards turnover, the play by play reads:

Here Here!

Unlike you, UncleLar actually adds something to this board.

Considering he has 711 posts to your 31 and my 15 I would say that he adds more to the board than both you and I. ;D

Besides, if it wasn’t for him, how would any of us ever survive here?