PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

A sad Gyasi Cline-Heard update

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/crime/leader-on-ncaa-basketball-court-becomes-leader-of-pasco-drug-ring/1217132

WOW is all you can say to that article. He literally was running a large scale drug and gun ring. Not minor stuff, but seems like major stuff.

That is awful. I was really struck by Gyasi’s high school friends who showed up in New Orleans, a bunch of hipster forerunners who seemed like interesting kids.

Gyasi’s senior year was a model of self-improvement and determination. He went from nothing but unfulfilled promise to an overachiever who would not be denied. I hope he can do the same with his life.

This is why my stomach turns when Penn state supporters sit on a perch an throw stones at other programs. We have our thugs and bad guys too.

Maybe getting busted will save his life.

Feel bad for his daughter.

Chambers, you needed to share that thought? Really

I always think the same thing as ChambersEra. This is a perfect example of why schadenfreude is so wrong.

Why not?

I don’t care if he went to Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, Pitt, or Mars University. If he’s guilty of selling drugs and guns, the guy’s a bum. Just because he had a decent senior year and improved as a free throw shooter doesn’t mean he was an incredible representative for the university.

It’s also a true statement that Penn State fans love to point the finger when a player at another school screws up and as long as that continues I will remind people that we have had our fair share of problems as well.

Double-upsetting for me: He’s a Houston guy. Sad he had to turn to this kind of life. Hope he’s innocent, but if not, hope he can get his life together.

[quote="psujb, post:6, topic:3114"]Chambers, you needed to share that thought? Really[/quote]

Why not?

I don’t care if he went to Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, Pitt, or Mars University. If he’s guilty of selling drugs and guns, the guy’s a bum. Just because he had a decent senior year and improved as a free throw shooter doesn’t mean he was an incredible representative for the university.

It’s also a true statement that Penn State fans love to point the finger when a player at another school screws up and as long as that continues I will remind people that we have had our fair share of problems as well.

Man, you sure paint with a wide brush.

Sure, every school has their share of ‘bad apples’, but I don’t think anyone on this forum was jumping to defend Gyasi’s action just because he was a Penn Stater. Not even close.

I WILL say that there are bad schools and good schools. What a kid does after he leaves is not indicative of the school. The 2 things a school can control is
1.) who they recruit - if they are recruiting known felons and head cases
2.) what they do while the kid is here - to they give him free reigns

When Miami gave a scholarship to Willie Williams (I think that was his name), a 5-star LB that committed felon sexual assault while on a recruiting visit to another school, that was wrong.

Neither can Penn State keep kids from screwing up when they are here. No school can. The question is, what does the school do when they DO screw up.

To say that Penn State is just like all the others because of Gyasi is an injustice. Did he do a crime while on campus? Are we rushing to his defense now?

Nobody will say we are perfect. Buy, some try harder to do the right thing than others. Up until this past November, I really thought that this institution really did try harder. I am not so sure about the current version of our school. I will say this, I will be the first to condemn the school for doing things the WRONG way. A few months back, we learned the BB program was recruiting a kid who served a few years in prison for a home invasion. I was the first to say that it was completely unacceptible.

The way I see it, he was peddling death, destruction and addiction to the masses. How many lives will his products ruin? How many people will get cut down by one of his automatics? How many kids will lose fathers and mothers to addiction and murder? How many parents will grieve at their kid’s addiction or murder? All so he could make some easy money.

As far as I’m concerned, he gets one chance to turn it around and if he doesn’t, he’s a wasted life.

[quote="psujb, post:6, topic:3114"]Chambers, you needed to share that thought? Really[/quote]

Why not?

Man, you sure paint with a wide brush.

Sure, every school has their share of ‘bad apples’, but I don’t think anyone on this forum was jumping to defend Gyasi’s action just because he was a Penn Stater. Not even close.

I WILL say that there are bad schools and good schools. What a kid does after he leaves is not indicative of the school. The 2 things a school can control is

When Miami gave a scholarship to Willie Williams (I think that was his name), a 5-star LB that committed felon sexual assault while on a recruiting visit to another school, that was wrong.

Neither can Penn State keep kids from screwing up when they are here. No school can. The question is, what does the school do when they DO screw up.

To say that Penn State is just like all the others because of Gyasi is an injustice. Did he do a crime while on campus? Are we rushing to his defense now?

Nobody will say we are perfect. Buy, some try harder to do the right thing than others. Up until this past November, I really thought that this institution really did try harder. I am not so sure about the current version of our school. I will say this, I will be the first to condemn the school for doing things the WRONG way. A few months back, we learned the BB program was recruiting a kid who served a few years in prison for a home invasion. I was the first to say that it was completely unacceptible.

The point of my post wasn’t to suggest Penn State doesn’t try harder to do things the right way, my point was that Penn State fans should refrain from pointing fingers at other schools.

Wow.

I feel sorry for his parents. How sad would it be to find out that your child is doing such things and how sad to see him incarcerated.

Definite disappointment. It’s a shame that the only former players that we hear about are those who are still playing somewhere or when they get in trouble like Monnie, Stephan and now Gyasi.

Would be nice if were easier to keep track of all the guys who are out in the world, making it happen 9-5.

I don’t mean to disparage those who are still in the game as players or coaches either.

Jonesy

[quote="Skeeza, post:10, topic:3114"]Man, you sure paint with a wide brush.

Nobody will say we are perfect. Buy, some try harder to do the right thing than others. Up until this past November, I really thought that this institution really did try harder. I am not so sure about the current version of our school. I will say this, I will be the first to condemn the school for doing things the WRONG way. A few months back, we learned the BB program was recruiting a kid who served a few years in prison for a home invasion. I was the first to say that it was completely unacceptible.[/quote]

The point of my post wasn’t to suggest Penn State doesn’t try harder to do things the right way, my point was that Penn State fans should refrain from pointing fingers at other schools.

And you are right on. Not sure why others are reacting this way unless they’re not actually reading what you wrote.

[quote=“timauman, post:15, topic:3114”]Definite disappointment. It’s a shame that the only former players that we hear about are those who are still playing somewhere or when they get in trouble like Monnie, Stephan and now Gyasi.

Would be nice if were easier to keep track of all the guys who are out in the world, making it happen 9-5.

I don’t mean to disparage those who are still in the game as players or coaches either.[/quote]

Are you suggesting I should expand my alumni tracker to include no longer active players? Man - it’s tough enough as is. :wink:

That’s actually the most fun thing about the Coaches vs Cancer golf tournament. You run into tons of ex-players who come back for the weekend and get to catch up with them

[quote=“UncleLar, post:18, topic:3114”]Are you suggesting I should expand my alumni tracker to include no longer active players? Man - it’s tough enough as is. :wink:

That’s actually the most fun thing about the Coaches vs Cancer golf tournament. You run into tons of ex-players who come back for the weekend and get to catch up with them[/quote]

Hey, if you’re up for it! Actually, I think it would be nice if the dept. did it. Some times they would include some in a where are they now type page in teh media guide.

The SID lists the last known occupation of the lettermen in the media guide, I believe.

Edit: looks like that’s a football thing. Basketball media guide just lists the letter years.