A play that we'll never remember but shouldn't forget

I think one of the best plays last night was for our first or second basket. Somebody shot it, DJ grabbed the rebound and banged his way to the glass and scored. It was a simple play, but last year, hell, two weeks ago, he would have passed that back out, dropped the ball or just not played with power and a can-do mentality. But he didn’t, he grabbed the rebound and scored and he wasn’t going to let a damn thing stop him. I love that. He might have only had 2-4 points, I dont remember, but if he’s making that sort of mental stride towards the “I can score” mindset that could have been one of the best baskets of his career.

That is what I love about watching this team mature, they’re learning that they can score without Talor, they can score if they’re called on, they can score when the team needs them. A lot of last year we had the Big 3 to call on and there wasn’t much pressure to really get the scoring going. I feel like DJ had a eye opening game last week scoring as much as he did. I dont know how long it will take, but watching this team is like watching them each open their eyes and go “oh crap, I can really play some ball” If they all start believing that they each can do their job and believe in the other guy we could have something going for us this year, and if not this year…next year…not looking ahead, but next year is exciting.

[quote=“NGameday, post:1, topic:386”]I think one of the best plays last night was for our first or second basket. Somebody shot it, DJ grabbed the rebound and banged his way to the glass and scored. It was a simple play, but last year, hell, two weeks ago, he would have passed that back out, dropped the ball or just not played with power and a can-do mentality. But he didn’t, he grabbed the rebound and scored and he wasn’t going to let a damn thing stop him. I love that. He might have only had 2-4 points, I dont remember, but if he’s making that sort of mental stride towards the “I can score” mindset that could have been one of the best baskets of his career.

That is what I love about watching this team mature, they’re learning that they can score without Talor, they can score if they’re called on, they can score when the team needs them. A lot of last year we had the Big 3 to call on and there wasn’t much pressure to really get the scoring going. I feel like DJ had a eye opening game last week scoring as much as he did. I dont know how long it will take, but watching this team is like watching them each open their eyes and go “oh crap, I can really play some ball” If they all start believing that they each can do their job and believe in the other guy we could have something going for us this year, and if not this year…next year…not looking ahead, but next year is exciting.[/quote]

Agreed. I remember the play and was thinking the same. The front line is getting better inside. More confidence.

[quote=“NGameday, post:1, topic:386”]I think one of the best plays last night was for our first or second basket. Somebody shot it, DJ grabbed the rebound and banged his way to the glass and scored. It was a simple play, but last year, hell, two weeks ago, he would have passed that back out, dropped the ball or just not played with power and a can-do mentality. But he didn’t, he grabbed the rebound and scored and he wasn’t going to let a damn thing stop him. I love that. He might have only had 2-4 points, I dont remember, but if he’s making that sort of mental stride towards the “I can score” mindset that could have been one of the best baskets of his career.

That is what I love about watching this team mature, they’re learning that they can score without Talor, they can score if they’re called on, they can score when the team needs them. A lot of last year we had the Big 3 to call on and there wasn’t much pressure to really get the scoring going. I feel like DJ had a eye opening game last week scoring as much as he did. I dont know how long it will take, but watching this team is like watching them each open their eyes and go “oh crap, I can really play some ball” If they all start believing that they each can do their job and believe in the other guy we could have something going for us this year, and if not this year…next year…not looking ahead, but next year is exciting.[/quote]

I loved it. 5-6 years ago, that play was not even feasible at Penn State.

I hear you. Claxton would’ve just stuffed it down someone’s throat instead of using the glass. :wink:

One play I won’t forget from Monday night was Edwards posting up down low. Ott pulled his man up to the free throw line, Brooks had his man and the ball at the arc. Brooks fed Edwards who sealed off his man beautifully and had an easy lay in.

He might be PSU’s best post-up player and if our bigs can sneak the opponents bigs away from the hoop, that play will really come in handy when PSU is in need of an easy deuce.

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:5, topic:386”]One play I won’t forget from Monday night was Edwards posting up down low. Ott pulled his man up to the free throw line, Brooks had his man and the ball at the arc. Brooks fed Edwards who sealed off his man beautifully and had an easy lay in.

He might be PSU’s best post-up player and if our bigs can sneak the opponents bigs away from the hoop, that play will really come in handy when PSU is in need of an easy deuce. [/quote]

That was a great play.

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:5, topic:386”]One play I won’t forget from Monday night was Edwards posting up down low. Ott pulled his man up to the free throw line, Brooks had his man and the ball at the arc. Brooks fed Edwards who sealed off his man beautifully and had an easy lay in.

He might be PSU’s best post-up player and if our bigs can sneak the opponents bigs away from the hoop, that play will really come in handy when PSU is in need of an easy deuce. [/quote]

Only thing better would have been if Frazier posted his man, got the lob and slammed it home. ;D

[quote="psu2006, post:3, topic:386"]I loved it. 5-6 years ago, that play was not even feasible at Penn State.[/quote]

I hear you. Claxton would’ve just stuffed it down someone’s throat instead of using the glass. :wink:

i don’t remember Claxton stuffing it down anyone’s throat honestly lol. good player, but he didn’t exactly fly through the air like a Tim Frazier does. if you have a clip of this happening though, i’d be the first person in line to see it :slight_smile:

Frazier’s put-back slam, even though it didn’t count, was a thing of beauty. Len Elmore practically came out of his seat on that one. I think we’ll see more of that in the coming years, which is going to bring the house down at the BJC at some point.

The play after that, too–same thing Brooks at the arc Battle seals his man underneath and Brooks sends it over the top. I think it resulted in a foul instead of a basket, but I’m suddenly liking Brooks passing ability at the arc.

[quote="psu2006, post:3, topic:386"]I loved it. 5-6 years ago, that play was not even feasible at Penn State.[/quote]

i don’t remember Claxton stuffing it down anyone’s throat honestly lol. good player, but he didn’t exactly fly through the air like a Tim Frazier does. if you have a clip of this happening though, i’d be the first person in line to see it :slight_smile:

Is this a joke? In case it isn’t …

Geary Claxton Penn State Basketball

Maybe we have different versions of flying, although I think it’d be hard to say Geary didn’t fly no matter what the definition is. Nobody compares to Geary on the dunk-o-meter yet. At least not when the games are actually played.

Thanks for posting the vid Tim.

[quote="NittanyIllini, post:5, topic:386"]One play I won't forget from Monday night was Edwards posting up down low. Ott pulled his man up to the free throw line, Brooks had his man and the ball at the arc. Brooks fed Edwards who sealed off his man beautifully and had an easy lay in.[/quote]

The play after that, too–same thing Brooks at the arc Battle seals his man underneath and Brooks sends it over the top. I think it resulted in a foul instead of a basket, but I’m suddenly liking Brooks passing ability at the arc.

Brooks is a GREAT passer (at the arc and when he drives), and those were both really nice.

Brooks has had some good dunks, too, and he had at least one this year that was almost spectacular.

[quote=“tjb, post:11, topic:386”]Is this a joke? In case it isn’t …

Geary Claxton Penn State Basketball[/quote]

Great video, but I wasn’t expecting to see the injury footage in there … that is still heartbreaking to watch.

Is this a joke? In case it isn't ...

:-\

You perceive the world entirely different than I do if you think that video clearly indicates him “stuffing it down somebody’s throat” - the only dunk that even comes close to being “on” somebody is the one against Clemson, and even that one is iffy.

Yes - he had a lot of dunks, but that highlight certainly didn’t show any that i’d consider “posterizations”.

… but if it’s not you disagreeing with something (everything) i say, it’s lar. So whatever, you two just like to argue it seems, and neither likes admitting he’s wrong. :stuck_out_tongue:

You perceive the world entirely different than I do if you think that video clearly indicates him “stuffing it down somebody’s throat” - the only dunk that even comes close to being “on” somebody is the one against Clemson, and even that one is iffy.

Yes - he had a lot of dunks, but that highlight certainly didn’t show any that i’d consider “posterizations”.

… but if it’s not you disagreeing with something (everything) i say, it’s lar. So whatever, you two just like to argue it seems, and neither likes admitting he’s wrong. :P[/quote]

Why so defensive?

Hopefully this can close the matter but…I didn’t mean Geary literally stuffed it down someone’s throat, but that he was s pretty good and aggressive at grabbing offensive boards, and occassionally dunking a putback. I apologize for not being crystal clear. I’m glad Tim “got it”.

Now that we’re past that…how in the world do you think Geary doesn’t fly through the air?

He’s not a high-flyer. He has incredible length, so his dunks never look nearly as impressive as a shorter-armed guy does.

He barely has to jump to throw it down.

I’d take Frazier and Pringle over him in a dunk contest any day of the week, because anything they do involves actual taking flight where most of his dunks are just like reach up to grab something off the top of the fridge for the rest of us.

It’s partially a perception thing, but watching any dunk contest take place you’ll see that it’s definitely how it works in judging such things. That’s why Nate Robinson’s dunks all look so crazy, while sometimes what Dwight Howard does is amazing, it appears somewhat easy in comparison.

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:17, topic:386”]I’d take Frazier and Pringle over him in a dunk contest any day of the week, because anything they do involves actual taking flight where most of his dunks are just like reach up to grab something off the top of the fridge for the rest of us.

It’s partially a perception thing, but watching any dunk contest take place you’ll see that it’s definitely how it works in judging such things. That’s why Nate Robinson’s dunks all look so crazy, while sometimes what Dwight Howard does is amazing, it appears somewhat easy in comparison.[/quote]

Geary was 6’5’’, not 7ft. He did have long arms but you make it seem like he’s Yao Ming. (then again, you tried to paint Tim like some sort of evil dictator that was changing everyone’s posts to go along with his views ::)) If what you say is true it’s amazing that there aren’t more guys in the NCAA that dunk like he did and as often as he did.

I’m not disagreeing shorter guys look better doing it, but it so rarely happens. How many dunks do Frazier and Pringle have in their careers…combined?

If you don’t think Geary had some nasty dunks, along with great athleticism and ups, I think I’ll just let you have the last word and agree to disagree

Claxton’s put back dunk, against Seton Hall I believe, was everything you’d want. He came off the wing, went higher than I ever thought possible and slammed it home with one hand. Maybe the most spectacular duck I’ve ever seen at the BJC. Anyone else recall the play I’m thinking of?

Yup, it was in the video but it wasn’t a great shot of it. Here’s a better one. 18 sec mark.

PSU 89 HALL 86 - OT