PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

A nice article on Sullinger's return for his soph year

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/29/sports/ncaabasketball/29sullinger.html?_r=2

Good for Jared. I was big fan of JJ too.

I hate it when I like OSU guys! :frowning:

I think it’s funny how they downplay the NBA lockout being a factor to his decision to return.

Is there ANYONE who actually believes that? :-\

If Sullinger can shed some weight and add a jumper to his game…jeez.

Great for Jared, for the Big Ten and for college basketball as well.

It pays to be a coach’s son, especially when that wise old coach gets it. And Satch certainly does. It’s also nice to hear that Jared is having fun and realizes that you only get one shot at playing college basketball.

On a lesser level, my son had an opportunity to join a very good travel baseball team to play with kids at a top level against similar teams. But he chose to stay at the local Little League park because he wanted to be with his friends, be one of the big fish in the pond and play the game for fun. I applauded his decision as I do Jared’s.

[quote=“Skeeza, post:4, topic:2270”]I think it’s funny how they downplay the NBA lockout being a factor to his decision to return.

Is there ANYONE who actually believes that? :-[/quote]

Maybe it played a small part in their decision to stay at OSU. But as Satch is a coach, I think he realizes that Jared does need to develop into more of a “4”, as he says, and hasn’t really had that opportunity since both his high school and this year’s OSU team needed him to play the “5”. I can certainly see that weighing more in his decision. That, and the fact that Jared is having fun in college and wants to have another year of it. Who wouldn’t want one more year of college if you can afford to put off the real world. I did it, grabbing a second major…and to this day applaud my decision.

I think it's funny how they downplay the NBA lockout being a factor to his decision to return.

Is there ANYONE who actually believes that? :-</blockquote>

Maybe it played a small part in their decision to stay at OSU. But as Satch is a coach, I think he realizes that Jared does need to develop into more of a “4”, as he says, and hasn’t really had that opportunity since both his high school and this year’s OSU team needed him to play the “5”. I can certainly see that weighing more in his decision. That, and the fact that Jared is having fun in college and wants to have another year of it. Who wouldn’t want one more year of college if you can afford to put off the real world. I did it, grabbing a second major…and to this day applaud my decision.

Perhaps I’m a cynic :-X , but I think with no lockout, he would be gone in a second, just like Oden, Koufus, and Mullen. Just like Amir next season.

I count 4 seniors on this team, but 5 commits coming in next year. What was the coach thinking?

If I was in Vegas…I would still bet on “going pro.”

It’s not over yet, I agree. But either way, this kid is a great reflection on his team and hopefully our league.

It is tough when you have to love OSU guys, though. The visit to the locker room after the BTT final suckered me in. Now they’re piling on.

[quote=“tjb, post:10, topic:2270”]It’s not over yet, I agree. But either way, this kid is a great reflection on his team and hopefully our league.

It is tough when you have to love OSU guys, though. The visit to the locker room after the BTT final suckered me in. Now they’re piling on.[/quote]

I agree Tim. It’s also a reflection of Matta. A far cry from Tressel, that’s for sure.

This kid never caught the flack he should have from fans about his love of Miley Cyrus music. It would be nice to get another chance at him. :smiley: