PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

A New Perception

So you believe everything that you read in the press regarding the football candidate search?

[quote=“Skeeza, post:20, topic:3221”]I think the football program fooled itself with it’s “search”. They started to get quite a bit of bad press when they had many of their candidates say , “thanks for asking, but no thanks”.

I think we kid ourselves when we feel that these coaches do not think in terms of money. A Top 10 job gets Top 10 pay, period. That’s what made Paterno so unique in the sports world.

Is Coach K turning down money? Is Urban Meyer settling for less? These guys are not naive, nor are they blind. Even WE know that difference, that’s why everyone on this forum is hoping they trhow Chambers more money in the next contract, because we all know what will happen if they don’t.[/quote]

I agree with most of this. But it’s not just about money. Job security, being comfortable, not uprooting your family, etc. all play a roll. Guys like Larry Johnson and Ron Vanderlinden are further examples. I don’t know what coach K gets paid, but I’d bet other schools have called and offered him more money than Duke pays him (why not at least call?). That said, if PC succeeds at Penn State, the AD had better be ready to back the armored truck up to the BJC basketball office and make sure these guys get paid.

[quote="tjb, post:8, topic:3221"]I'm not that big on guys building a solid foundation and fleeing. It stamps you as permanently second rate. My hope is that PC puts some wins on the board (actual and recruiting) and we pop him to $2.5 mill right away. A lot will depend of course on if his family likes State College.[/quote]

Initially it would label you as such. But it’s building that structure. If Chambers was successful enough to leave for a top 10 job then the next man could make this a top ten job. I kind of think Pat Chambers already thinks this is a top ten job. So we may good for the long haul.

I didn’t consider Bill Self leaving the Illinois job as a stab in the eye to Illinois. I seen that as a very good coach leaving a very good program in solid hands trying to move onto one of the best coaching jobs out there. I can get why the Illini faithful felt that they should’ve got more out of the Weber era. Illinois should be a top 15 program. I think Weber is a great coach, but he was given a goldmine and it didn’t work out.

If Chambers does what I hope he does I hope all the money we can spend is thrown his way.

How can Penn State be a Top 10 job in the nation, when I don’t think it even pays among the Top 10 in the BIG TEN?

Two comments:

1. Thinking it is a top ten job and getting paid a top ten salary are two different things.

2. I hope PC forces the AD to make a decision on whether or not the basketball coach should get paid more than the football coach. That would mean more dancing than Thon for our guys.

I know PC is one of the lowest paid coaches if not the lowest in the b10. Where does BOB fit in with the football coaches pay wise ?

I think the football program fooled itself with it’s “search”. They started to get quite a bit of bad press when they had many of their candidates say , “thanks for asking, but no thanks”.

I think we kid ourselves when we feel that these coaches do not think in terms of money. A Top 10 job gets Top 10 pay, period. That’s what made Paterno so unique in the sports world.

Is Coach K turning down money? Is Urban Meyer settling for less? These guys are not naive, nor are they blind. Even WE know that difference, that’s why everyone on this forum is hoping they trhow Chambers more money in the next contract, because we all know what will happen if they don’t.

I completely agree 100% Skeeza. Money talks 99.9% of the time.
[quote="Skeeza, post:20, topic:3221"]I think the football program fooled itself with it's "search". [b]They started to get quite a bit of bad press[/b] when they had many of their candidates say , "thanks for asking, but no thanks".[/quote]

So you believe everything that you read in the press regarding the football candidate search?

No, but sure as Hades didn’t read anything good about it.

Are you saying that Penn State was NOT turned down by it’s initial "top candidtates?

I think the football program fooled itself with it's "search". They started to get quite a bit of bad press when they had many of their candidates say , "thanks for asking, but no thanks".

Is Coach K turning down money? Is Urban Meyer settling for less? These guys are not naive, nor are they blind. Even WE know that difference, that’s why everyone on this forum is hoping they trhow Chambers more money in the next contract, because we all know what will happen if they don’t.

I agree with most of this. But it’s not just about money. Job security, being comfortable, not uprooting your family, etc. all play a roll. Guys like Larry Johnson and Ron Vanderlinden are further examples. I don’t know what coach K gets paid, but I’d bet other schools have called and offered him more money than Duke pays him (why not at least call?). That said, if PC succeeds at Penn State, the AD had better be ready to back the armored truck up to the BJC basketball office and make sure these guys get paid.

I don’t understand.

If it’s not about the money, then why would they need to back up the armored truck?

Of almost any place in the entire country (at least until this year) a Penn State coach had more job security than ANYBODY in major college sports athletics.

If what you are saying is true about job security, not uprooting your family, etc. has ANY truth, then that truth would live in Happy Valley. Why would they have to give a big contract to Chambers if that is the truth?

$2.5 is not that much for a top BB coach.

[quote="Skeeza, post:20, topic:3221"]I think the football program fooled itself with it's "search". They started to get quite a bit of bad press when they had many of their candidates say , "thanks for asking, but no thanks".

Is Coach K turning down money? Is Urban Meyer settling for less? These guys are not naive, nor are they blind. Even WE know that difference, that’s why everyone on this forum is hoping they trhow Chambers more money in the next contract, because we all know what will happen if they don’t.[/quote]

I don’t understand.

If it’s not about the money, then why would they need to back up the armored truck?

Of almost any place in the entire country (at least until this year) a Penn State coach had more job security than ANYBODY in major college sports athletics.

If what you are saying is true about job security, not uprooting your family, etc. has ANY truth, then that truth would live in Happy Valley. Why would they have to give a big contract to Chambers if that is the truth?

This is another one of those black or white issues with you. Money is a big deal, just not the only deal. That’s all I’m saying. Hypothetically, if Wake Forest offers PC $3 million and PSU ups it’s offer to $2.5 million, he might choose to stay. However, if PSU only comes up with $1.2 million, he probably leaves. That’s what I mean by money isn’t the only thing. It’s a huge thing, but not the only thing.

I don't understand.

This is another one of those black or white issues with you. Money is a big deal, just not the only deal. That’s all I’m saying. Hypothetically, if Wake Forest offers PC $3 million and PSU ups it’s offer to $2.5 million, he might choose to stay. However, if PSU only comes up with $1.2 million, he probably leaves. That’s what I mean by money isn’t the only thing. It’s a huge thing, but not the only thing.

Understood.

This whole thing really came about from the comment BeerNitLion said when he posted:
“I kind of think Pat Chambers already thinks this is a top ten job.”

Going along with what you said about importance of pay in proximity range of each other, I can agree. Seeing how the Penn State salary is either 11th or 12th in the BIG TEN, and this is for a contract that was signed less than a year ago, I don’t think that Chambers fools himself into thinking that this is a Top 10 job.

Knowing Penn State’s pay history, seeing how they just signed BOB to the 6th place salary in football just a few weeks ago, I don’t think Penn State will EVERY be a Top 10 job destination.

Even if he does do that, he has to have success here first and we are in better shape than before. It is a win- win.

Plus if he does leave it might be for the Big East or Acc but that’s it. i cat see him moving within the big ten, or having interest in the b12, sec, or pac12. and here is absolutely no chance he would go from a major conference to a non major unless he gets fired (which i don’t see happening)

We don’t have anything to worry about until Herb Magee retires.

[quote="Skeeza, post:25, topic:3221"]I don't understand.

If what you are saying is true about job security, not uprooting your family, etc. has ANY truth, then that truth would live in Happy Valley. Why would they have to give a big contract to Chambers if that is the truth?[/quote]

Understood.

This whole thing really came about from the comment BeerNitLion said when he posted:

Going along with what you said about importance of pay in proximity range of each other, I can agree. Seeing how the Penn State salary is either 11th or 12th in the BIG TEN, and this is for a contract that was signed less than a year ago, I don’t think that Chambers fools himself into thinking that this is a Top 10 job.

Knowing Penn State’s pay history, seeing how they just signed BOB to the 6th place salary in football just a few weeks ago, I don’t think Penn State will EVERY be a Top 10 job destination.

If Chambers wins and the BJC starts selling out games, the school will probably pay more than it is now.

Let’s not forget that the Penn State job did becomes less desirable to some because of the Jerry Sandusky situation.

If Bill O’Brien wins and Chambers wins, they’ll get paid. Neither one has accomplished anything yet.

[quote=“tjb, post:8, topic:3221”]That St. Joe’s stuff was fun to read.

I’m not that big on guys building a solid foundation and fleeing. It stamps you as permanently second rate. My hope is that PC puts some wins on the board (actual and recruiting) and we pop him to $2.5 mill right away. A lot will depend of course on if his family likes State College.

Anybody hearing anything about Donovan Jack?[/quote]

6’9 senior from Berks Catholic (Used to be Reading Central Catholic) He’s been committed to Duquesne since last fall so I’m not sure what these guys from St Josephs are hoping for. Good player but I don’t think he’s B1G caliber.

[quote="Skeeza, post:25, topic:3221"]I don't understand.

If what you are saying is true about job security, not uprooting your family, etc. has ANY truth, then that truth would live in Happy Valley. Why would they have to give a big contract to Chambers if that is the truth?[/quote]

Understood.

If Chambers wins and the BJC starts selling out games, the school will probably pay more than it is now.

Let’s not forget that the Penn State job did becomes less desirable to some because of the Jerry Sandusky situation.

If Bill O’Brien wins and Chambers wins, they’ll get paid. Neither one has accomplished anything yet.

Except that Beaver stadium is ALREADY selling out, and it is the program who’s $40M profit powers the rest of the entire athletic department. This is no neighborhood lemonade stand. It’s a job where most would not wait for someone to be successful, they HAVE TO BE successful now, and I’m sure the AD is not trying to lowball the guy until he proves that he can win.

Even if they pay Chambers “more”, we can debate what that will mean. From what I understand, if you DOUBLE the salary that Chambers gets, he still in not TOP 5 in the BIG TEN.

I look at decades upon decades of history at Penn State that says they will not break the bank on a coach. What gives you the idea that they WILL ?!?!?

That’s what I mean… $2.5 million is mid sized for a top job, maybe even low end. It includes the alleged job security discount.

WHY would PC leave if he made PSU a winner?? I guess PSU would give him a long term 2.5 mil a year (guess) contract. He would be rich for life. WHY would he leave the Xanada campus and town? WHY would he leave the GREAT recruiting location that made him a winner??

I think PC stays at PSU a long long time!!

WHY do many continue to degrade PSU??? >:(

[quote=“tundra, post:35, topic:3221”]WHY would PC leave if he made PSU a winner?? I guess PSU would give him a long term 2.5 mil a year (guess) contract. He would be rich for life. WHY would he leave the Xanada campus and town? WHY would he leave the GREAT recruiting location that made him a winner??

WHY do many continue to degrade PSU??? >:( [/quote]

I for one would rather live in Philly or Boston or LA than State College (much as I love State College), so it is easy for me to imagine that someone else might feel the same way.

[quote=“tundra, post:35, topic:3221”]WHY would PC leave if he made PSU a winner?? I guess PSU would give him a long term 2.5 mil a year (guess) contract. He would be rich for life. WHY would he leave the Xanada campus and town? WHY would he leave the GREAT recruiting location that made him a winner??

Are we talking about Chambers or Gadowski?

Oh Xanada, glorious and free!

That’s what I mean, tundra. What would make you think that Penn State would give that kind of money? You really expect the hoops coach to be paid like the football coach? Do you realy think that Penn State would jump from Northwestern-level pay to Ohio State-level pay?

I have see NOTHING that would make me think that Penn State would pay that kind of money.

BTW… does anyone know what Chambers is paid? I saw something that said $650K, but I thought it was more than that. Maybe I saw total compensation, but this compares “salaries” of BIG TEN coaches, so I guess its comparable…

Coach Carmody is the Dave’s Italian Kitchen of coaches

Presuming these numbers are “all in”, I stand corrected about $2.5 being middle of the pack.

I agree that money isn’t everything, but if PC turns it around, some very clear gesture needs to be made to show that it is appreciated and will continue to be recognized.

I’m not sure PSU can do much about the market that exists, even if these numbers shock the conscience.