PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

A New Perception

The tweet heard around the PSU Hoops world

I remember people use to bug out like yoo why you going to penn state..haaa now you mad cuz you wanna come wit us lol

#WINNING

I’m loving how they are all tweeting each other… gotta love that they’re building friendships, kwim?

Not quite Shakespearean, but I’ll take it.

Looks like other boards are taking notice of the job Chambers is doing…

http://hawkhoopclub.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=9138&page=1

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=170&f=2353&t=8871497

All those St. Joe’s fans are convinced that PC will leave PSU as soon as he turns this around. While it’s possible, why would he do that? PSU is in the top basketball conference. PSU has plenty of money to pay him. And once he turns PSU around, doesn’t this become a top tier job? What job in Philly (which is the only place I see him leaving us to go), other than maybe Nova, would be better than PSU if PSU is making the dance regularly?

Hopefully in short time Chambers is a name that is wanted by the strongest of the elite. If that time does come and he leaves us, well then we have a very rock solid foundation to hire and a lot of great options moving forward. If he stays, we would be on the verge of becoming a power. Win-win.

Said it before, we have a rockstar coach right now. If he is here for the long haul then the sky is the limit. If not, I doubt it will be for any other reason that fact that he proved that the sky is the limit here.

That St. Joe’s stuff was fun to read.

I’m not that big on guys building a solid foundation and fleeing. It stamps you as permanently second rate. My hope is that PC puts some wins on the board (actual and recruiting) and we pop him to $2.5 mill right away. A lot will depend of course on if his family likes State College.

Anybody hearing anything about Donovan Jack?

[quote=“tjb, post:8, topic:3221”]That St. Joe’s stuff was fun to read.

I’m not that big on guys building a solid foundation and fleeing. It stamps you as permanently second rate. My hope is that PC puts some wins on the board (actual and recruiting) and we pop him to $2.5 mill right away. A lot will depend of course on if his family likes State College.

Anybody hearing anything about Donovan Jack?[/quote]

I was more interested in Lundy. That’s a new name to me. Anyone know anything about him?

Initially it would label you as such. But it’s building that structure. If Chambers was successful enough to leave for a top 10 job then the next man could make this a top ten job. I kind of think Pat Chambers already thinks this is a top ten job. So we may good for the long haul.

I didn’t consider Bill Self leaving the Illinois job as a stab in the eye to Illinois. I seen that as a very good coach leaving a very good program in solid hands trying to move onto one of the best coaching jobs out there. I can get why the Illini faithful felt that they should’ve got more out of the Weber era. Illinois should be a top 15 program. I think Weber is a great coach, but he was given a goldmine and it didn’t work out.

If Chambers does what I hope he does I hope all the money we can spend is thrown his way.

Only that he is “phenomenal.” :slight_smile:

http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=377774

Anybody hearing anything about Donovan Jack?[/quote]Do you see PSU paying a bball coach 2.5 mill? I highly doubt we see PC use a scholly on Donovan Jack. Saw him play a couple times this year and wasn’t really that impressed at all. I would go after Donyell Marshall’s son before him.

According to the links below, Minney and NU both offered Jack a ship, and Marquis Marshall is a Towson commit.

http://www.centralpahoops.com/donovon-jack-2012.html

http://www.centralpahoops.com/marquis-marshall-2012.html

I have heard nothing about Donovan Jack.

I think we’ll be fine on Pat staying here until a really good job comes calling. I think he can build the same job security here that Shaka Smart has built at VCU. Shaka makes seven figures, and has a strong program at VCU. He didn’t leave for Illinois because quite frankly, it’s not that good of a job. If someone like Kansas, or UCLA would call Shaka, he’d be gone, and that’s understandable. I just don’t expect Pat to leave unless it’s a really good job opportunity.

I wonder what’s up with Savon Goodman’s status? I noticed that he was the Pa. Class A player of the year.

I'm not that big on guys building a solid foundation and fleeing. It stamps you as permanently second rate. My hope is that PC puts some wins on the board (actual and recruiting) and we pop him to $2.5 mill right away. A lot will depend of course on if his family likes State College.

Initially it would label you as such. But it’s building that structure. If Chambers was successful enough to leave for a top 10 job then the next man could make this a top ten job. I kind of think Pat Chambers already thinks this is a top ten job. So we may good for the long haul.

I didn’t consider Bill Self leaving the Illinois job as a stab in the eye to Illinois. I seen that as a very good coach leaving a very good program in solid hands trying to move onto one of the best coaching jobs out there. I can get why the Illini faithful felt that they should’ve got more out of the Weber era. Illinois should be a top 15 program. I think Weber is a great coach, but he was given a goldmine and it didn’t work out.

If Chambers does what I hope he does I hope all the money we can spend is thrown his way.

How can Penn State be a Top 10 job in the nation, when I don’t think it even pays among the Top 10 in the BIG TEN?

[quote="tjb, post:8, topic:3221"]I'm not that big on guys building a solid foundation and fleeing. It stamps you as permanently second rate. My hope is that PC puts some wins on the board (actual and recruiting) and we pop him to $2.5 mill right away. A lot will depend of course on if his family likes State College.[/quote]

How can Penn State be a Top 10 job in the nation, when I don’t think it even pays among the Top 10 in the BIG TEN?

Two comments:

1. Thinking it is a top ten job and getting paid a top ten salary are two different things.

2. I hope PC forces the AD to make a decision on whether or not the basketball coach should get paid more than the football coach. That would mean more dancing than Thon for our guys.

[quote="tjb, post:8, topic:3221"]I'm not that big on guys building a solid foundation and fleeing. It stamps you as permanently second rate. My hope is that PC puts some wins on the board (actual and recruiting) and we pop him to $2.5 mill right away. A lot will depend of course on if his family likes State College.[/quote]

Two comments:

1. Thinking it is a top ten job and getting paid a top ten salary are two different things.

2. I hope PC forces the AD to make a decision on whether or not the basketball coach should get paid more than the football coach. That would mean more dancing than Thon for our guys.

I know PC is one of the lowest paid coaches if not the lowest in the b10. Where does BOB fit in with the football coaches pay wise ?

Two comments:

I know PC is one of the lowest paid coaches if not the lowest in the b10. Where does BOB fit in with the football coaches pay wise ?

I thought someone figured out he was around the middle of the pack – 6th or 7th (BO’B, that is).

Two comments:

I think the football program fooled itself with it’s “search”. They started to get quite a bit of bad press when they had many of their candidates say , “thanks for asking, but no thanks”.

I think we kid ourselves when we feel that these coaches do not think in terms of money. A Top 10 job gets Top 10 pay, period. That’s what made Paterno so unique in the sports world.

Is Coach K turning down money? Is Urban Meyer settling for less? These guys are not naive, nor are they blind. Even WE know that difference, that’s why everyone on this forum is hoping they trhow Chambers more money in the next contract, because we all know what will happen if they don’t.