PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

A little OT - WVU - ~itt

Tonight ~itt hosts WVU in hoops. Pgh. locals are saying it may/will be the last hoop and football game (mayve EVER) between the teams who are presently arch rivals. WVU folks I know could care less. They claim they don’t NEED ~itt because between they sell out all of their football games. WVU will be playing Oklahoma, Texas et all next season. ~itters, on the other hand are crapping their pants. They now have lost a Heinz Field sell-out every other year. ~itt extremely needs fannies in their football game seats. I don’t see more that 15,000 to 20,000 actual fans for ~itt - Wake Forest game at Heinz.

And I thought that Pitt to the ACC was supposed to be a big boost for the sports programs?

On another note, now that PSU, Pitt and WVU are all in different confernces, a weekend round robin basketball tournament in Pittsburgh would be interesting. Throw Duquense into the mix and you have 2 decent non-confernce games for each team with a local flavor. I have heard this talked about in the past, but, since Pitt and WVU were both in the Big East, it didn’t make sense. Now, perhaps it does.

The irony is that this is the SECOND arch-rival that Pitt has screwed over because of conference affiliation.

[quote=“mlt86, post:2, topic:3084”]And I thought that Pitt to the ACC was supposed to be a big boost for the sports programs?

On another note, now that PSU, Pitt and WVU are all in different confernces, a weekend round robin basketball tournament in Pittsburgh would be interesting. Throw Duquense into the mix and you have 2 decent non-confernce games for each team with a local flavor. I have heard this talked about in the past, but, since Pitt and WVU were both in the Big East, it didn’t make sense. Now, perhaps it does.[/quote]

+1

[quote=“mlt86, post:2, topic:3084”]And I thought that Pitt to the ACC was supposed to be a big boost for the sports programs?

On another note, now that PSU, Pitt and WVU are all in different confernces, a weekend round robin basketball tournament in Pittsburgh would be interesting. Throw Duquense into the mix and you have 2 decent non-confernce games for each team with a local flavor. I have heard this talked about in the past, but, since Pitt and WVU were both in the Big East, it didn’t make sense. Now, perhaps it does.[/quote]

I would not believe that WVU wants ANY part of ~itt or a Pittsburgh round robin. Their Big 2 sports programs as doing quite fine money wise. They have a big name hoop coach who gives them strong recruiting base. They do not need to be in the Pittsburgh basketball recruiting area.

A double header of PSU,~itt, Duquesne and Robert Morris may be a workable idea. One game each year rotating who we play.