PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

7-foot-5 high school prospect gaining attention

Most players Ndiaye’s size are awkward and can’t move well on the basketball court, but as the video below demonstrates, he has some skills. Aside from not winning the opening tip (no clue how someone 7-foot-5 doesn’t win a jump ball), he is able to drop-step and finish, and knows how to get position inside against smaller players. His touch from the free-throw line also was decent, and he clearly has pretty good hands.

http://eye-on-college-basketball-recruiting.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/29884776/34640226

Definitely a tad on the raw side.

Someone will take a chance at a guy that tall though.

[quote=“Tom, post:2, topic:3038”]Definitely a tad on the raw side.

Someone will take a chance at a guy that tall though.[/quote]

Wow, that’s being polite to say the least. Looks like me playing on a 7-foot rim against a bunch of 3rd graders. I didn’t see anything resembling ‘moves’.

As a coach, you would almost HAVE TO take a chance on this kid. At 7’5", he is the next Kenny George. Just teach him defense and rebounding, and he’s welll worth the price of his scholarship.

[b]Definitely a tad on the raw side.[/b]

Wow, that’s being polite to say the least. Looks like me playing on a 7-foot rim against a bunch of 3rd graders. I didn’t see anything resembling ‘moves’.

As a coach, you would almost HAVE TO take a chance on this kid. At 7’5", he is the next Kenny George. Just teach him defense and rebounding, and he’s welll worth the price of his scholarship.

LMAO it’s easy to picture that when watching the video.

[b]Definitely a tad on the raw side.[/b]

I thought he looked very good. Guys that big in HS can barely tie their shoes. You didn’t see any moves? At least he played with his back to the basket. Maybe he needs a lot of work in college, but I thought he moved well. He did lose the opening tip, but guys seem to have so much trouble timing it, and the ref threw it up about 2’.

The OP was definitely viewing him from the glass half full perspective. You can’t judge him on that league at all. How tall was the kid guarding him, 6’0’’? Maybe.

I thought he had virtually no game whatsoever. All he did was just go to the block, get the ball, turn, dunk. That’s all. You need to have better skills to make it.

[quote="Tom, post:2, topic:3038"][b]Definitely a tad on the raw side.[/b]

I thought he looked very good. Guys that big in HS can barely tie their shoes. You didn’t see any moves? At least he played with his back to the basket. Maybe he needs a lot of work in college, but I thought he moved well. He did lose the opening tip, but guys seem to have so much trouble timing it, and the ref threw it up about 2’.

Let’s be real. There is a HUGE difference between “playing with your back to the basket” and what he was doing. All he was doing was standing there with the rim behind him and turning around to dunk it or lay it in.

Look again at the video. HE’S PLAYING AGAINST 5 FRICKIN’ ASIAN KIDS (from 0:57 to 1:30) !!! :o

Let’s be real. There is a HUGE difference between “playing with your back to the basket” and what he was doing. All he was doing was standing there with the rim behind him and turning around to dunk it or lay it in.

Look again at the video. HE’S PLAYING AGAINST 5 FRICKIN’ ASIAN KIDS (from 0:57 to 1:30) !!! :o

I’ve lost to 5 frickin’ asian kids back in the day at the South Gym pickup games.

I’ve lost to 5 frickin’ asian kids back in the day at the South Gym pickup games.

Then, odds are, your are not a 7-footer !!!

Jeremy Lin, Yi Jianlian, and Yao Ming take exception to your remarks.

Jeremy Lin 1/28/2012 - NY vs HOU - 9 points 6 assists

Before this turns into some type of thread where everyone thinks I’m saying that nowhere in the world are there any Asians who can play hoops… THAT’S NOT WHAT I MEANT.

I am saying that he is a 7’5" guy who is being defended by some vertically challenged kids. Someone said the big kid can play “woth his back to the basket”. I was refuting that.

[quote=“Skeeza, post:11, topic:3038”]Before this turns into some type of thread where everyone thinks I’m saying that nowhere in the world are there any Asians who can play hoops… THAT’S NOT WHAT I MEANT.

I am saying that he is a 7’5" guy who is being defended by some vertically challenged kids. Someone said the big kid can play “woth his back to the basket”. I was refuting that.[/quote]

Aha. Thanks for correcting that. I can see now that you meant to say that Asians are “vertically challenged”. That certainly clears things up. ::slight_smile:

I think he has a chance. Not much of a leaper, but he doesn’t look awkward. How many 7 footers do you know who can run backwards the way he did? Get him some AAU ball and who knows.

Generally, I don’t like players who are that tall. I think that once you get past about 7’1" then you become too long. Your center of gravity is too high so it is easier for your opponent to move you off of your spot on both O and D. That length also makes it harder to have quick feet. Not impossible, but it just seems like every inch above 7’1" makes it harder to be athletic.

[quote="Skeeza, post:11, topic:3038"]Before this turns into some type of thread where everyone thinks I'm saying that nowhere in the world are there any Asians who can play hoops... THAT'S NOT WHAT I MEANT.

I am saying that he is a 7’5" guy who is being defended by some vertically challenged kids. Someone said the big kid can play “woth his back to the basket”. I was refuting that.[/quote]

Aha. Thanks for correcting that. I can see now that you meant to say that Asians are “vertically challenged”. That certainly clears things up. ::slight_smile:

Lighten up, Lar. You are so tightly wound up in that Politically Correct stuff that it gets rediculous.

[quote="Skeeza, post:11, topic:3038"]Before this turns into some type of thread where everyone thinks I'm saying that nowhere in the world are there any Asians who can play hoops... THAT'S NOT WHAT I MEANT.

Lighten up, Lar. You are so tightly wound up in that Politically Correct stuff that it gets rediculous.

Nope. Not happening. If I see something I consider racist, even if it’s inadvertent, I’m going to speak up.

Nope. Not happening. If I see something I consider racist, even if it’s inadvertent, I’m going to speak up.

I really shouldn’t post this and I’m not taking either side here for the record, but…

It is sad that you can’t even make a slight off-hand joke or remark about anything remotely related to racism anymore without the racism police shooting you down.

I have to harken back to the 70’s and shows like “All In The Family” and all its racial overtones. It was a funny show and people looked at it as such for the most part. But it was more than just a sit-com. It was a brilliant stroke in while it brought up heavy racial dialog, it actually made fun of people who are racist. Some people thought it was too offensive. Well those are people who’d rather have racism buried so we never discuss it, even though it is still very evident in our society. So in that regard, I’m sort of glad that Lar spoke up, I guess.

I loved living in the 70’s…people were open and were able to discuss things without having to worry about other people painting them up as this or that. I know I’m not racist (dated a African-American Olympian for two years in fact)…but I’m also old-school when it comes to reacting to off-colored humor. It might not be right for these politically correct times, and I understand that. But I also find humor in such things. And back when I dated my Olympian friend, laughing was kind of our way to deal with such instances. In fact, we used to throw barbs each others way. It was during that time (early/mid 90’s) that I learned that racism does come in all shapes, sizes and, yes, colors. But I also learned that you can laugh about it as long as you felt comfortable in your own skin and people around you knew you were just joking.

See back then, we were just joking. Now we can’t even go there anymore, which is a shame.

And yes, I’ve “come back” ;D

I really shouldn’t post this and I’m not taking either side here for the record, but…

It is sad that you can’t even make a slight off-hand joke or remark about anything remotely related to racism anymore without the racism police shooting you down.

I have to harken back to the 70’s and shows like “All In The Family” and all its racial overtones. It was a funny show and people looked at it as such for the most part. But it was more than just a sit-com. It was a brilliant stroke in while it brought up heavy racial dialog, it actually made fun of people who are racist. Some people thought it was too offensive. Well those are people who’d rather have racism buried so we never discuss it, even though it is still very evident in our society. So in that regard, I’m sort of glad that Lar spoke up, I guess.

I loved living in the 70’s…people were open and were able to discuss things without having to worry about other people painting them up as this or that. I know I’m not racist (dated a African-American Olympian for two years in fact)…but I’m also old-school when it comes to reacting to off-colored humor. It might not be right for these politically correct times, and I understand that. But I also find humor in such things. And back when I dated my Olympian friend, laughing was kind of our way to deal with such instances. In fact, we used to throw barbs each others way. It was during that time (early/mid 90’s) that I learned that racism does come in all shapes, sizes and, yes, colors. But I also learned that you can laugh about it as long as you felt comfortable in your own skin and people around you knew you were just joking.

See back then, we were just joking. Now we can’t even go there anymore, which is a shame.

There’s a difference between making a joke and just being a racist.

As for letting go, I think it will take until us old heads die off. My school district was segregated; when it desegregated in the 60s, I watched my Sunday School teacher protesting on my elementary school’s front lawn. She didn’t want her kid going to school with a lot of black kids (even though it was closer to home - Coatesville had for years employed busing to segregate, not desegregate). The entire school board was routed in the next two elections.

You’d think electing a black president would call off the dogs, but it hasn’t yet.

What people do in their own time among their own friends is their own business but when someone makes a racist comment) and inadvertent or not, joking about short Asians is a racist comment) in a public forum (and this is a public forum), they should expect to get called on it.

Skeeza could just as easily made his point about the kid facing a bunch of short opponents without bringing Asians into the discussion. It served no purpose.

Is it racist if it’s true?

The biggest thing that people like you don’t understand is that a truth is not exactly racist.

The average asian is shorter than most other ethnicities, even in this country. So, when I see a 7-footer dunking on a team of sub-6-foot asians and make a comment about them being “vertically challanged”, how is that racist?!?!