PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

30 Point Games

With Talor getting his fifth 30 pointer yesterday, I thought I’d check to see where he stood on the all-time list. He’s now just one behind Joe Crispin’s six 30 pointers but a country mile behind Jesse Arnelle’s fifteen. :o

Around the country this season, there have been exactly 100 30 point performances, including two other Big Ten players, E’Twuan Moore against Southern Illinois and John Shurma against Northern Illinois, both of whom matched Talor’s 31 points. JaJuan Johnson, Jon Leuer, and Kalin Lucas all came up a point short with 29 point games.

Moore and Battle are both tied for the conference scoring lead at 20.2 and Talor is almost right on pace to catch Jesse Arnelle’s alltime scoring record. If Talor only plays 30 games (29 regular season and 1 BTT game) and continues scoring at his current pace, he will wind up with 2133 pts, five short of Arnelle’s record 2138. Needless to say, postseason play could provide a big help toward getting Talor the record.

He’s also in pursuit of another record. Arnelle holds the record for the most points+rebounds+assists at 3376. Talor sits at 2646 which is third. He should be a lock to catch Joe Crispin at 2841. Arnelle might be a different story however. At his current pace for the season Talor will come up about 100 short. He’s probably going to need a few post season games to catch Jesse for this record.

Does Arnelle stay the greatest PSU player even if Talor passes him on some the all time records?

[quote=“UncleLar, post:1, topic:1605”]With Talor getting his fifth 30 pointer yesterday, I thought I’d check to see where he stood on the all-time list. He’s now just one behind Joe Crispin’s six 30 pointers but a country mile behind Jesse Arnelle’s fifteen. :o

Around the country this season, there have been exactly 100 30 point performances, including two other Big Ten players, E’Twuan Moore against Southern Illinois and John Shurma against Northern Illinois, both of whom matched Talor’s 31 points. JaJuan Johnson, Jon Leuer, and Kalin Lucas all came up a point short with 29 point games.

Moore and Battle are both tied for the conference scoring lead at 20.2 and Talor is almost right on pace to catch Jesse Arnelle’s alltime scoring record. If Talor only plays 30 games (29 regular season and 1 BTT game) and continues scoring at his current pace, he will wind up with 2133 pts, five short of Arnelle’s record 2138. Needless to say, postseason play could provide a big help toward getting Talor the record.

He’s also in pursuit of another record. Arnelle holds the record for the most points+rebounds+assists at 3376. Talor sits at 2646 which is third. He should be a lock to catch Joe Crispin at 2841. Arnelle might be a different story however. At his current pace for the season Talor will come up about 100 short. He’s probably going to need a few post season games to catch Jesse for this record. [/quote]

In Jesse’s days, how many games comprised the usual regular season?

[quote="UncleLar, post:1, topic:1605"]With Talor getting his fifth 30 pointer yesterday, I thought I'd check to see where he stood on the all-time list. He's now just one behind Joe Crispin's six 30 pointers but a country mile behind Jesse Arnelle's fifteen. :o

He’s also in pursuit of another record. Arnelle holds the record for the most points+rebounds+assists at 3376. Talor sits at 2646 which is third. He should be a lock to catch Joe Crispin at 2841. Arnelle might be a different story however. At his current pace for the season Talor will come up about 100 short. He’s probably going to need a few post season games to catch Jesse for this record.[/quote]

Averages out to 23 regular season games per season.

[quote="UncleLar, post:1, topic:1605"]With Talor getting his fifth 30 pointer yesterday, I thought I'd check to see where he stood on the all-time list. He's now just one behind Joe Crispin's six 30 pointers but a country mile behind Jesse Arnelle's fifteen. :o

He’s also in pursuit of another record. Arnelle holds the record for the most points+rebounds+assists at 3376. Talor sits at 2646 which is third. He should be a lock to catch Joe Crispin at 2841. Arnelle might be a different story however. At his current pace for the season Talor will come up about 100 short. He’s probably going to need a few post season games to catch Jesse for this record.[/quote]

His regular season games were: 24, 24, 19, 26.
He also played in 10 NCAA tournament games for a total of 102 games.

I think so.

Not that a 50s post would ever be camped outside, but I’m always impressed when looking at the numbers that some of the old guys put up pre-three.

Mark Dumars, a guard from 59-61, would have benefited greatly. He’s 19th in points scored but #2 in scoring average at 17.9 ppg. Dumars, because of the three year rule and short seasons, only played in 64 career games. With a three point line, he probably would challenged Jesse Arnelle’s 21.0 ppg. Dumars was a gunner and it’s not unreasonable to think that he would have averaged around 3 made threes a game.

Didn’t somebody estimate a ridiculous number of points that would have been added to Pistol Pete’s totals if the 3-line was around?

It would be hard to figure that out, as it’s not just finding out the distance where the shot was taken, but also taking into consideration how the 3pt shot has changed both the offensive and defensive game plan.

[quote="manatree, post:7, topic:1605"]Not that a 50s post would ever be camped outside, but I'm always impressed when looking at the numbers that some of the old guys put up pre-three.[/quote]

Didn’t somebody estimate a ridiculous number of points that would have been added to Pistol Pete’s totals if the 3-line was around?

I bet close to half of Pistol Pete’s shots were either treys or close. Not that he was the scorer Pistol Pete was, but Jerry Lucas’ shot from the top of the key would have been a trey. John Wooden said Lucas was the one player he wished he had. He still holds the rebounding records at OSU. Jerry West, Rick Mount, Calvin Murphy also would have been big. West scored 53 in a playoff game without the 3. Still, the Bucks had a player, John McLaughlin who seemed to shoot these amazing high arc shots from as far as anybody I ever saw. I bet 50-60% of his shots would have been 3’s. He wasn’t that great, but really bombed them. It was his whole game.

gopsusports.com: Veteran Battle Steps Up When Lions Need a Boost