PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

3 years from now, what would you consider success?

For the PSU BBall program. In 3 years, with PSU starting the 2014 season, PC will have had 2 full classes and a 3rd coming in as freshman. He will have put his system in place and the team will essentially be his guys. And in my opinion, that is enough time and enough seasons for fans to have a real good understanding where the program is going and the strengths and weaknesses.

What are people’s realistic expectations for for where PC can take this program and would consider it a success.

[quote=“Cletus11, post:1, topic:2710”]For the PSU BBall program. In 3 years, with PSU starting the 2014 season, PC will have had 2 full classes and a 3rd coming in as freshman. He will have put his system in place and the team will essentially be his guys. And in my opinion, that is enough time and enough seasons for fans to have a real good understanding where the program is going and the strengths and weaknesses.

What are people’s realistic expectations for for where PC can take this program and would consider it a success.[/quote]

That’s easy for me to answer.

Upper half finish in the conference. An NCAA invite. And, consistenly good crowds at the BJC.

Students lining up 8 hours before the game to get in - for just about every Big Ten game (assuming we’re still in the Big Ten). I’ll give the students a pass on the OOC schedule because much of it happens when the students aren’t on campus.

Student fans…that would mean the team was winning enough and playing attractive basketball.

Success would be going into each season with a reasonable expectation that that current year’s team is no worse than a bubble team.

I wouldn’t be opposed to seeing a 4/5 star recruit in that time frame!

Oddly enough, I would not put so much into wins and losses. Some of my measures are…

1.) NO VIOLATIONS !!! I don’t care what success may come, I don’t want to sell our soul for some wins.

2.) Publicity. Just more of a buzz. More appearances in the papers. More mentions on TV.

3.) Attendance. More fannies in the seats. Much more student interest.

I may be alone on this, but I think wins will come and go. Success is fleeting. I would much rather see signs of life from the program itself than to see a tourny bid or 2, then see Chambers bolt for a bigger payday.

Some sense of continued and consistent improvement.

I think Tom has the winner!! Remember Jim Carrey’s “You mean I have a chance!”

Having a “chance” or having “reasonable hope” is very rewarding to the human condition!!

Consistently meeting or exceeding the expectation.

This year, the team is young, inexperienced and learning from a first year coach. So this year my expectation is that we show improvement throughout the season – even if that means a losing record. By the end of the season, I’d like to feel like we have a shot against almost any team we face.

Year two should be better than this season (unless Woodyard unexpectedly becomes an all B1G caliber player - he is our only loss due to graduation). We have almost everyone back, plus DJ and two freshmen. We should see improvement and be competing against all B1G teams from the start. That probably still means a losing B1G record, but perhaps an NIT bid.

Year three should be the best of the first three. We’ll have only replaced Frazier and Woodyard (Frazier will be a big loss, but will hopefully be replaced by then). In reality, we’ll still only have 4 TC recruits on the team, barring transfers or early graduations. So I won’t agree with the OP’s assertion of the team being essentially TC’s guys. It will be two thirds ED’s guys with two years under TC. Regardless, I think there is enough talent there, that if the coaching staff is able to develop players, especially inside, we’ll be able to challenge for the top third of the B1G.

Of course we have a lot of “IFS” before we get there. And things can change dramatically due to injury, etc. So back to my first statement: “Consistently meeting or exceeding the expectation.”

I have one criterion for success but it can’t happen in three years: consecutive ncaa tournament appearances. That’s the corner psu hoops has to turn to reach critical mass and keep momentum.

Success would be going into each season with a[b] reasonable expectation that that current year's team is no worse than a bubble team.
[/b]

I think Tom has the winner!! Remember Jim Carrey’s “You mean I have a chance!”

Having a “chance” or having “reasonable hope” is very rewarding to the human condition!!

I was just thinking about that… How much more buzz is there HERE when we’re on the bubble. If this place could be as much fun in March as it is in December, I’d be happy (at least for a while…) :wink:

This year I just want there to be some sort of excitement. I feel like the programs going in the right direction, and I want to continue to feel that way. I don’t want to feel like the season is pointless, and a waste of my time to go to the games. Now I don’t expect anything major, but a couple upsets or two and a Big Ten record starting with a number bigger than 4 would make me happy.

Year two I would like a fun team that gets out and runs and poses a scare to some teams. Hopefully make the postseason as well.

Year three we better be back in the tournament. Should have a bunch of experience at that point.

[quote=“mjg, post:10, topic:2710”]Consistently meeting or exceeding the expectation.

This year, the team is young, inexperienced and learning from a first year coach. So this year my expectation is that we show improvement throughout the season – even if that means a losing record. By the end of the season, I’d like to feel like we have a shot against almost any team we face.

Year two should be better than this season (unless Woodyard unexpectedly becomes an all B1G caliber player - he is our only loss due to graduation). We have almost everyone back, plus DJ and two freshmen. We should see improvement and be competing against all B1G teams from the start. That probably still means a losing B1G record, but perhaps an NIT bid.

Year three should be the best of the first three. We’ll have only replaced Frazier and Woodyard (Frazier will be a big loss, but will hopefully be replaced by then). In reality, we’ll still only have 4 TC recruits on the team, barring transfers or early graduations. So I won’t agree with the OP’s assertion of the team being essentially TC’s guys. It will be two thirds ED’s guys with two years under TC. Regardless, I think there is enough talent there, that if the coaching staff is able to develop players, especially inside, we’ll be able to challenge for the top third of the B1G.

Of course we have a lot of “IFS” before we get there. And things can change dramatically due to injury, etc. So back to my first statement: “Consistently meeting or exceeding the expectation.”[/quote]

Good post. I do think that in the next two years, one of the current players recruited by Ed will not be here in year 3, basic odds tell me that, so it would be about 50/50 Ed’s guys to PC’s guys in that third year.

I like the idea of back to back tourney appearances as a criterion for actually achieving sustained BBall success. I can’t remember that ever happening in the years I have followed PSU Ball (which has been about 25), has it ever happened? I would add into that 4 out of 5 years making a postseason appearance (ie…NIT if not NCAA) so even ‘bad’ years at least are winning seasons and tourney appearances.

Consistently meeting or exceeding the expectation.

Of course we have a lot of “IFS” before we get there. And things can change dramatically due to injury, etc. So back to my first statement: “Consistently meeting or exceeding the expectation.”

Good post. I do think that in the next two years, one of the current players recruited by Ed will not be here in year 3, basic odds tell me that, so it would be about 50/50 Ed’s guys to PC’s guys in that third year.

I like the idea of back to back tourney appearances as a criterion for actually achieving sustained BBall success. I can’t remember that ever happening in the years I have followed PSU Ball (which has been about 25), has it ever happened? I would add into that 4 out of 5 years making a postseason appearance (ie…NIT if not NCAA) so even ‘bad’ years at least are winning seasons and tourney appearances.

1954 and 1955 (we also made it in 1952).

I agree with tjb…I’d consider consistant improvement. I look at the ladies as a nice model. Coquese has got them poised to make a great jump in the next couple of years. It doesn’t happen overnight.

That players improve every year.

[quote=“Ajk822, post:13, topic:2710”]This year I just want there to be some sort of excitement. I feel like the programs going in the right direction, and I want to continue to feel that way. I don’t want to feel like the season is pointless, and a waste of my time to go to the games. Now I don’t expect anything major, but a couple upsets or two and a Big Ten record starting with a number bigger than 4 would make me happy.

Year two I would like a fun team that gets out and runs and poses a scare to some teams. Hopefully make the postseason as well.

Year three we better be back in the tournament. Should have a bunch of experience at that point.[/quote]

Again, I don’t think people realize how much we just lost to graduation, and how little we have coming back. Anyone who thinks we can win many games in the BIG TEN with the talent we have coming back doesn’t have any respect for the BIG TEN.

I think the most we can hope from the group coming back is 1 or 2 conference wins. We have Timmy Frazier coming back, and all the other returners combined bring the production of HALF of Jeff Brook’s numbers last year.

[quote=“Ajk822, post:13, topic:2710”]This year I just want there to be some sort of excitement. I feel like the programs going in the right direction, and I want to continue to feel that way. I don’t want to feel like the season is pointless, and a waste of my time to go to the games. Now I don’t expect anything major, but a couple upsets or two and a Big Ten record starting with a number bigger than 4 would make me happy.

[b]Year two I would like a fun team that gets out and runs and poses a scare to some teams. Hopefully make the postseason as well.

Year three we better be back in the tournament. Should have a bunch of experience at that point.[/b][/quote] For either of these to happen some schollies will have to open up (im sure that will prob happen) Pat couldn’t have walked into a worse situation with those.

This year I just want there to be some sort of excitement. I feel like the programs going in the right direction, and I want to continue to feel that way. I don't want to feel like the season is pointless, and a waste of my time to go to the games. [b]Now I don't expect anything major, but a couple upsets or two and a Big Ten record starting with a number bigger than 4 would make me happy.[/b]

Year three we better be back in the tournament. Should have a bunch of experience at that point.

Again, I don’t think people realize how much we just lost to graduation, and how little we have coming back. Anyone who thinks we can win many games in the BIG TEN with the talent we have coming back doesn’t have any respect for the BIG TEN.

I think the most we can hope from the group coming back is 1 or 2 conference wins. We have Timmy Frazier coming back, and all the other returners combined bring the production of HALF of Jeff Brook’s numbers last year.

I understand how good the Big Ten is and I was court side for most games last year noticing just how big the drop off was whenever one of our starters left the game. Perhaps 4 is a big number, but it’s college basketball where anything can happen. That was kind of my whole point, I just want SOMETHING exciting to happen. It doesn’t have to be an extended period of success. It doesn’t even have to be a full game of success. I just want to see us hang with Ohio State (although they’re stacked and will probably blow us out) or Wisconsin and put a little scare into them for a half or so. A little glimpse of what could be with all of our youth.