PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

2019 Coaches vs Cancer

One of my favorite times of the year - for me it’s the kickoff to the summer. Sponsor/Celebrity reception is this evening. Golf tournament is tomorrow.

Always look forward to seeing who’s in town for the annual get together.

3 Likes

Anybody here bidding on the Autographed Chewie figure? Since I’m a huge Star Wars fan had to bid on it, but got out-bid that day haha. But you ain’t seen the last of me!

1 Like

Nice to see the Crispin bro’s together again in Happy Valley.

2 Likes

Good interviews!

1 Like

Last weeks CVC silent auction reminded me of the PSU autographed basketball that I bought at the auction many years ago. Below is the list of autographs on my ball that included seven 1,000
point scorers for PSU and also former head coach Bruce Parkhill.

2 Likes

Out of curiosity, has anyone played in this or know what the donation level to CVC is to play in this? I saw it was a record group this year and was curious what just the golf entry brought in

Currently, it’s $2500 a foursome.

2 Likes

Coaches vs. Cancer of Penn State Golf Tournament Raises Record Total

Proceeds of $150,000 Support Local Community Cancer Initiatives

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. – The 2019 Coaches vs. Cancer of Penn State Golf Tournament raised more than $150,000 net, the highest total in the event’s 23-year history. Proceeds from the tournaments support the American Cancer Society’s cancer research and mission programs, as well as the Bob Perks Cancer Assistance Fund in the Centre Region, which assists local cancer patients and their families with basic necessities.

The golf tournament was initiated by Nittany Lion head coach Jerry Dunn during his tenure in University Park. The first tournament was held in 1997 and has raised nearly $2 million to date.

“Every year we get to ‘game day’ and see everyone on the course having a great time for a great cause,” said Scott Walker, co-executive director of Coaches vs. Cancer Penn State. “The real impact of the golf tournament events is when we are able to present those funds to the American Cancer Society and know they are going to benefit individuals in our local community and beyond.”

More than 330 golfers played on Penn State’s Blue and White golf courses in May with an awards celebration dinner held in Beaver Stadium’s Mount Nittany Club. A reception was held at Medlar Field at Lubrano Park the night before the five-person 18-hole scramble tournament with raffle drawings, contests, a selection of auction items, as well the “Wall of Stars” to support and memorialize loved ones.

The Penn State chapter of Coaches vs. Cancer was established in 1995 by former Nittany Lion head coach Bruce Parkhill, who grew up and attended high school in State College.

In fall 2018, CVC Penn State surpassed the $3 million net mark and ranks among the nation’s most successful fundraising chapters.

This past April, Coach Pat Chambers accepted the American Cancer Society’s 2019 Coaches vs. Cancer Collegiate Champion Award on behalf of the CVC Penn State committee, volunteers and sponsors.

Coaches vs. Cancer of Penn State hosts activities throughout the year with dates and ticket information for 2019 events available here.

Individuals can get involved with CVC by becoming a sponsor or volunteering. For more information, visit www.cvcpennstate.org or call 814-238-3430.