PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

2012-13 Early Top 25

Katz has his top 25 for next year.

• I think IU as #1 is a bit of shocker.
  • Gotta love 4 Big 10 teams in the top 8 (but it’ll take a lot for me to ever think Michigan is elite)
  • Wisky is the only other Big 10 team he has in his top 40
  • I think we’re a LOCK to finish no worse than 6th in the Big 10 next season :wink:

On a different (but somewhat realated) note, which Big 10 underclassman will leave early?

Gotta think Sullinger will but I’m not sure there are any other locks. Perhaps Zeller, Burke, or Paul?

[quote=“Finding Forrester, post:1, topic:3224”]Katz has his top 25 for next year.

• Gotta love 4 Big 10 teams in the top 8 (but it’ll take a lot for me to ever think Michigan is elite)
  • I think we’re a LOCK to finish no worse than 6th in the Big 10 next season :wink:

On a different (but somewhat realated) note, which Big 10 underclassman will leave early?

Gotta think Sullinger will but I’m not sure there are any other locks. Perhaps Zeller, Burke, or Paul?[/quote]

Meyers Leonard is leaving for the NBA.

DW, are you thinking of Zeller? I don’t see Illinois on the top 40. Interesting to see Kansas St at 20 though.

Leonard declared yesterday, I think.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/ncb/story/_/id/7767655/meyers-leonard-leave-illinois-fighting-illini-early-enter-nba-draft

My bad, I didn’t see Finding Forrester’s second question B1G underclassmen leaving early. Carry on :slight_smile:

In the article, it did not say that Leonard hired an agent, so he can therortically withdraw his name. But, reading what he was saying, I think he has his mind set.

I would say that Sullinger(soph) is gone. Don’t know about Deshaun Thomas.

Looks like Burke isn’t just testing the waters.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/18297608/trey-burke-expected-to-leave-michigan-for-nba

[quote=“Tom, post:7, topic:3224”]Looks like Burke isn’t just testing the waters.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/18297608/trey-burke-expected-to-leave-michigan-for-nba[/quote]
Wow, so Penn State almost had a one-and-doner? That’s crazy!

Crazy, sure. Though as good as he was this year he didn’t seem NBA-ready.

SIAP, Sullinger gone: Two and done

[quote="Tom, post:7, topic:3224"]Looks like Burke isn't just testing the waters.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/18297608/trey-burke-expected-to-leave-michigan-for-nba[/quote]
Wow, so Penn State almost had a one-and-doner? That’s crazy!

Who was better Burke or Frazier? Burkew is AAP honorable mention, Frazier not on list.

If Burke is at PSU “this year” he is not getting much press. We would not have had a one and done. Frazier got the shaft by the press.

[quote=“Tom, post:7, topic:3224”]Looks like Burke isn’t just testing the waters.

This is what we have to look out for with our current crop of recruits.

Sure, Chambers is doing well so far. But, what happens when a players leaves a program like Michigan unexpectedly, and Michigan goes out looking for a his replacement.

Are our kids so committed that they will NOT answer the phone when a school like Michigan calls? When Beilein gives them a call and tells them, “We just had our last 2 PGs leave early to the NBA Draft, and we think you have what it takes to be the third…”, how appealing will that pitch be?

[quote=“Phanatic, post:11, topic:3224”]Who was better Burke or Frazier? Burkew is AAP honorable mention, Frazier not on list.

If Burke is at PSU “this year” he is not getting much press. We would not have had a one and done. Frazier got the shaft by the press.[/quote]

I love Frazier but I’d build my team around Burke. Bigger, stronger, better shooter, similar defender, similar handle, both have great 1st steps.

I think Frazier actually got some decent pub for being on the last place team in the B10, and one of the worst offenses in the BCS.

Who was better Burke or Frazier? Burkew is AAP honorable mention, Frazier not on list.

If Burke is at PSU “this year” he is not getting much press. We would not have had a one and done. Frazier got the shaft by the press.

I love Frazier but I’d build my team around Burke. Bigger, stronger, better shooter, similar defender, similar handle, both have great 1st steps.

Burke was listed at 5’11, 180 this year for Michigan, so he’s not that much bigger, definitely not taller, than Frazier.

[quote=“Finding Forrester, post:1, topic:3224”]Katz has his top 25 for next year.

Gotta think Sullinger will but I’m not sure there are any other locks. Perhaps Zeller, Burke, or Paul?[/quote]

One of the things I like about college hoops is that a team can be judged by how good they are, not by the conference they play in.

• There are only 2 non-BCS schools in the TOP 20
  • The next 20 is a different story, with 9 of the next 20 being from non-BCS conferences

Considering our recruits didn’t chose Penn state out of desperation and Chambers has worked with NBA guards before my level of worry is a ZERO.

Just because Burke bailed on a veteran coach who led a veteran team to a last place Big Ten finish doesn’t mean our current committs will change their mind.

One thing I like about college basketball is that polls are irrelevant. Imagine if we determined a champion by, not even RPI, let alone the NCAA tournament, but rather the two teams that a cabal of sportswriters presumed were the two best teams in the nation?

Apparently Zeller will be staying http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2012-04-10/cody-zeller-indiana-nba-draft-staying

Of its top nine scorers from this season's Sweet 16 squad, the Hoosiers lose just one -- Verdell Jones III, who missed the NCAAs

Throw in their top 10 recruiting class and IU is going to be very tough to beat next year.