PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

2011 Big 10/ACC Challenge

Big 10/ACC Challenge is Tues/Wed this week. Who ya got?

Michigan at Virginia
Northwestern at Georgia Tech
Illinois at Maryland
Miami at Purdue
Clemson at Iowa
Duke at Ohio State
Indiana at NC State
Penn State at Boston College
Florida State at Michigan State
Virginia Tech at Minnesota
Wake Forest at Nebraska
Wisconsin at North Carolina

Wow, did I really just pick 7 of 12 road winners.

Big 10 wins 7-5

KenPom has the B1G winning 9 of the 12.

Is PSU one of his 9 victories?

I like OSU over Dukies at home.

[quote="eric17, post:2, topic:2877"]KenPom has the B1G winning 9 of the 12.[/quote]

Yes.

He has Wisconsin and Ohio State knocking off North Carolina in Chapel Hill and Duke in Columbus.
He’s got PSU (at BC), Ind (at NC St), and Illinois (at Md) with road wins
along Purdue (vs Mia), MSU (vs Fla St), Neb (vs WF) and Minn (vs Va Tech) holding serve at home.
Picked to lose are Michigan (at UVA), NW (at GT), and Iowa (vs Clemson)

I see the Big 10 going 7-5. I just can’t see Wisconsin going to Chapel Hill and winning. If Carolina wasn’t coming off a tough loss and the game was in Madison, they may have a chance.

The game I’ll be interested in is the Minny/VT game. VT lost a couple of key guys from last year but from what I’ve seen of Minnesota so far plus the loss of Mbakwe, I see VT taking this one.

[quote="eric17, post:2, topic:2877"]KenPom has the B1G winning 9 of the 12.[/quote]

Yes.

He has Wisconsin and Ohio State knocking off North Carolina in Chapel Hill and Duke in Columbus.
along Purdue (vs Mia), MSU (vs Fla St), Neb (vs WF) and Minn (vs Va Tech) holding serve at home.

Is UVA good this year? I would have picked Michigan for sure in that game. But I don’t spend much time on the ACC outside the big 2, so I guess I could be wrong.

Yes.

Is UVA good this year? I would have picked Michigan for sure in that game. But I don’t spend much time on the ACC outside the big 2, so I guess I could be wrong.

They slow the game down and play good defense (8th best in the country according to KenPom and the guys ahead of them are a pretty select bunch).

KenPom Defensive Efficiency Rankings:

1. Kentucky
  2. Louisville
  3. Wisconsin
  4. Florida St.
  5. Ohio St.
  6. Michigan St.
  7. Alabama
  8. Virginia

Yes.

In my power ratings, I’ve got Virginia and Clemson tied right now as the 5th/6th best team in the ACC. They should be much better than they were last year.

Bar Chart Glory.

http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/weblog/your_guide_to_the_2011_big_ten_acc_challenge/

FoxNews.com has it 7-5 B10

Michigan over Virginia;
Northwestern over Georgia Tech;
Maryland over Illinois;
Purdue over Miami;
Iowa over Clemson;
Ohio State over Duke;
North Carolina State over Indiana;
Boston College over Penn State;
Michigan State over Florida State;
Virginia Tech over Minnesota;
North Carolina over Wisconsin;
Nebraska over Wake Forest

I don’t see Wisconsin winning at North Carolina. Don’t think we can be too reliant on KenPom yet, as they don’t have enough data to predict the games as accurately as they will be able to in the new year.

Day 2 preview

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/40381/big-tenacc-challenge-day-1-preview

If I were to rank these games per the BIG TEN’s chances of winning each, with 1 being the surest and 12 being the least likely:

1.) Michigan at Virginia
2.) Miami at Purdue
3.) Northwestern at Georgia Tech
4.) Wake Forest at Nebraska
5.) Illinois at Maryland
6.) Indiana at NC State
7.) Duke at Ohio State
8.) Penn State at Boston College
9.) Florida State at Michigan State
10.) Virginia Tech at Minnesota
11.) Clemson at Iowa
12.) Wisconsin at North Carolina

Minnesota and Michigan State are big question marks, due to the turnover in players. We have yet to see how they will respond.

Virginia exploited some weaknesses in this Michigan team, I don’t think they’re as unbeatable as we once thought.

[quote=“Skeeza, post:14, topic:2877”]If I were to rank these games per the BIG TEN’s chances of winning each, with 1 being the surest and 12 being the least likely:

1.) Michigan at Virginia[/quote]

Well, that’s embarrassing. :wink:

Wow, OSU is filling it up. They look fantastic!

I feel sorry for Dickie V.

Wow, OSU is filling it up. They look fantastic!

I feel sorry for Dickie V.

Words never uttered in the history of the world, before tonight. :slight_smile:

I was watching some of that game. I hate Michigan, but I have to say that Trey Burke is the real deal. I think this kid will be all BIG TEN for more than one season. He has only played about a half dozen collegiate games, and he looks like he just has talent and confidence oozing out of him.