PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

2011-2012 Scheduling news

Even if St. Joe’s is bad next season, it would be a road game so a win would be worth more for the RPI than a home win. And IMHO playing a game in “hostile” conditions that is winnable can be a nice confidence booster for the team in preparing them for the rest of the season.

[quote="gsw329, post:5, topic:1957"]I'm assuming we play Old Dominion in the first round? Quality opponent, good opportunity. I like it[/quote]

Based on the article, that sounds impossible, since South Florida will be playing either us or ODU. My first guess would be us playing South Florida and ODU playing Kentucky, however ODU will probably be expected to be better than both us and South Florida next year, so we may get matched up with Kentucky.

I’d assume the other two games will be home games over teams that aren’t that great.

My mistake, I misread. I thought it said USF would be playing either us or ODU in the second round. Nonetheless, I like the scheduled games so far.

[quote="battlesway2, post:15, topic:1957"]St.Joes is horrible right now but I see where you are going with this ;) All I'm saying is I have a gut feeling when next years schedule is finalized it will be on par with the 2008 schedule.[/quote]

Even if St. Joe’s is bad next season, it would be a road game so a win would be worth more for the RPI than a home win. And IMHO playing a game in “hostile” conditions that is winnable can be a nice confidence booster for the team in preparing them for the rest of the season.

I really don’t think we need to worry about our RPI next year. It’s def going to be a “rebuilding” year

More on the Naismith tourney

Take note of who PSU is playing…eek

http://www.hoophall.com/news/2011/3/16/naismith-memorial-basketball-hall-of-fame-announces-2011-tip.html

[quote=“Tom, post:24, topic:1957”]More on the Naismith tourney

http://www.hoophall.com/news/2011/3/16/naismith-memorial-basketball-hall-of-fame-announces-2011-tip.html[/quote]

Why would I think the Basketball Hall of Fame game would be in Springfield, MA? Argh.

[quote=“Tom, post:24, topic:1957”]More on the Naismith tourney

http://www.hoophall.com/news/2011/3/16/naismith-memorial-basketball-hall-of-fame-announces-2011-tip.html[/quote]

So, we play Kentucky at a neutral site plus one of South Florida or Old Dominion Univ there. And we host two out of Long Island U, Marist, Radford or Vermont. At least unlike the botched Philly Hoops Classic two years ago, we are sure to play the “big gun” in the tourney which is the key thing.

Even better

Wow. Kentucky? Really? Oh good lord, lol. I’m a pretty optimistic guy, but yikes!

But hey, the younger guys could use the competition. Good experience for them. And if we somehow won that game, we’d easily pass Charlie Sheen as the most winning morlocks on this terrestrial plane. :wink:

http://www.halloffametipoff.com/schedule.php

We got Radford and Long Island University.

LIU is a tourney team this year but don’t know what they are loosing to graduation. Raford was pretty bad this past season so could be one of the few dogs on next years schedule.

Me, too - wahoo!

I saw LIU on TV in the NEC Championship game. They play fast and really hustle. They had very balanced scoring. I think only the 3rd and 4th leading scorers are gone. They should be pretty good next year.
I like the @ Duquesne game! The Dukes lost their 2 top guys (by far) in Saunders and Clark. But they have a bunch of small guards who are pretty good! They need bigs badly!

So, according to this thread, there are already 7 known games - if my count is correct.

duquesne - neutral
ole miss - home
st. joe’s - away
acc/bt challenge
radford - home
long island - home
kentucky - neutral

Only three home games, four if the ACC/B10 challenge is at home. I expect ED to fill in some mid-low majors at the BJC.

[quote=“noobd, post:33, topic:1957”]So, according to this thread, there are already 7 known games - if my count is correct.

duquesne - neutral
ole miss - home
st. joe’s - away
acc/bt challenge
radford - home
long island - home
kentucky - neutral

Only three home games, four if the ACC/B10 challenge is at home. I expect ED to fill in some mid-low majors at the BJC.[/quote]

He can’t didn’t you hear, Bon Jovi is coming back for the second leg of his tour. :wink:

[quote=“noobd, post:33, topic:1957”]So, according to this thread, there are already 7 known games - if my count is correct.

duquesne - neutral
ole miss - home
st. joe’s - away
acc/bt challenge
radford - home
long island - home
kentucky - neutral

Only three home games, four if the ACC/B10 challenge is at home. I expect ED to fill in some mid-low majors at the BJC.[/quote]

I think we’re looking at 13 games total so 6 left to schedule. The Radford game is horrible (like NJ Tech in the Philly Classic), their RPI is in the 320s this year. Otherwise, that’s a great start to a schedule. I’d assume the final 6 games are cupcakes at home, hopefully they’re this year’s cupcakes and not the cupcakes from 2009.

duquesne - neutral
ole miss - home
st. joe’s - away
acc/bt challenge
radford - home
long island - home
kentucky - neutral

IIRC, the Duquesne game would be considered “away” technically, even if is not in their home court. It’s really not any different than when Villanova hosts games at the Wells Fargo Center in Philly.

Also, there’s an 8th known game – neutral versus either South Florida or Virginia Commonwealth in the championship/consulation round of the Hall of Fame Tipoff. Furthermore, we can add that we have a schedule for all the games in that competition:

Mon 11/14: Radford (home)
Wed 11/16: Long Island U (home)
Sat 11/19: Kentucky (neutral)
Sun 11/20: USF or VCU (neutral)

I just checked and realized that, unfortunately, our big game versus Kentucky falls on the same day at our football team playing at Ohio State. I guess we won’t see the hoops game get much attention from the general fanbase.

We’d be able to schedule 13 OOC games this year. I’d imagine the remaining 5 unknown games would probably all be at home (especially since it is likely that the ACC/BT Challenge game will be on the road). Those are probably the key games to establish the “strength” of our OOC schedule – hopefully we avoid the dogs and schedule teams in the 150-250 RPI range for them.

Duquesne site is NOT neutral. The Dukes played a couple of games this season at the new arena. Plus you could almost hit the new arena with a golf ball from Duquesne’s campus!!

Have no fear, it will be recorded as an home game for Duquesne. When you play a game in your home city against an opponent from outside the area, it’s considered a home game for you no matter how often you play at that particular arena.

Call me crazy, but if our SOS is what keeps us out of the tournament, I’ll bake a cake every month for ED for the next four years.

Let’s get as many wins under our belt so we can keep some positive vibes (see how I snuck that in there?) and make the NIT and give the kids confidence/experience.

[quote=“PSUClassof2011, post:39, topic:1957”]Call me crazy, but if our SOS is what keeps us out of the tournament, I’ll bake a cake every month for ED for the next four years.

Let’s get as many wins under our belt so we can keep some positive vibes (see how I snuck that in there?) and make the NIT and give the kids confidence/experience.[/quote]

It’s that very thought process that winds up burning you when you are a bubble team. Even if we do wind up taking a step backward next year, we should still be considered favorites over every non Big Six conference foe on this year’s schedule. Just rebook them along with the teams that we already have locked in for next year. There’s no reason to book teams any worse than the ones that we played this year.