PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

2011-2012 Scheduling news

PSU playing in the 2011 Naismith Tipoff

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/content/usf-men-play-hall-fame-tournament

Well we get a shot to take down Cal and his Mildcats. :wink:

Do JC3 and JC5 have any eligibility left? ;D

[quote=“Tom, post:1, topic:1957”]PSU playing in the 2011 Naismith Tipoff

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/content/usf-men-play-hall-fame-tournament[/quote]

Hopefully, they don’t back out of this game to schedule another Furman. >:(

I’m assuming we play Old Dominion in the first round? Quality opponent, good opportunity. I like it

Just seems like the Philly Classic all over again. But I have a feeling RPI impact is not really going to matter for next year.

Furman turned out to be a very good opponent for us this season.

Based on the article, that sounds impossible, since South Florida will be playing either us or ODU. My first guess would be us playing South Florida and ODU playing Kentucky, however ODU will probably be expected to be better than both us and South Florida next year, so we may get matched up with Kentucky.

I’d assume the other two games will be home games over teams that aren’t that great.

One of the home games could be Marist or Vermont, I would think.

I’ll be going.

I know I shouldn’t be thinking about next season since we’re in the middle of an exciting “Bubble race” this season, but this topic made me wonder who else we’ve heard about for next seasons schedule.

Teams are allowed to play 29 regular season games not including any exempt games (like we did this year, 11 non-con and 18 conference game). However, since we’ll be in an exempt tourney next season where the 4 games only count as two game we could actually play up to 31 total regular season games (13 non-conf). So, we could potentially look for 13 non-conf games next season:

Home - Naismith Tipoff
Home - Naismith Tipoff
Neutral - Naismith Tipoff (UK, USF, or ODU)
Neutral - Naismith Tipoff (UK, USF, or ODU)
Away - Big Ten/ACC Challenge (just a guess that it’s away, we’ll probably play someone bad, maybe at Virginia again)
Home - Mississippi
Away - St. Joe’s (this one’s just a guess since they were here this year)

I think we should always play a Philly team and a Pittsburgh team (assuming they are good RPI games). This year we played St Joes and the Dukes (last year we played Temple and Robert Morris). I’m also in favor of playing a third PA game (Lehigh, Bucknell) assuming they’re a good RPI game.

[quote="Skeeza, post:4, topic:1957"]Hopefully, they don't back out of this game to schedule another Furman. >:([/quote]

Im willing to bet next years OOC schedule is going to be like what we saw in 2008. Pretty weak.

We will be playing Duquesne at the new Consol Center in Pittsburgh next year. Ed mentioned this on his radio show a few weeks ago.

[quote="Skeeza, post:4, topic:1957"]Hopefully, they don't back out of this game to schedule another Furman. >:([/quote]

Im willing to bet next years OOC schedule is going to be like what we saw in 2008. Pretty weak.

@ Duquesne, Ole Miss, @ St. Joe’s, 2011 Naismith Tipoff, ACC/BT challenge game, does not sound pretty weak so far.

Duquesne, Ole Miss, St. Joe’s, 2011 Naismith Tipoff, does not sound pretty weak so far.

St.Joes is horrible right now but I see where you are going with this :wink: All I’m saying is I have a gut feeling when next years schedule is finalized it will be on par with the 2008 schedule.

This year’s schedule has turned out to be amazing, and I don’t think anyone would have looked at it ahead of time and called it ridiculous for any major conference team.

Given the amount of telestrater circling of Penn State’s SOS I have seen this year and the apparent benefit, I would be surprised to see us revert completely to the 2008-09 disaster.

Duquesne, Ole Miss, St. Joe’s, 2011 Naismith Tipoff, does not sound pretty weak so far.

St.Joes is horrible right now but I see where you are going with this :wink: All I’m saying is I have a gut feeling when next years schedule is finalized it will be on par with the 2008 schedule.

St. Joe’s returns 5 of their top 6 scorers next year. Sounds like a very tough road game for PSU next year to me.

St. Joe’s returns 5 of their top 6 scorers next year. Sounds like a very tough road game for PSU next year to me.

Every game will be tough for us next year :wink:

Every game will be tough for us next year :wink:

Yeah when I think of next year’s front court, I am not worried about having a challenging enough schedule.

We shouldn’t have a schedule like we had 2 years ago because the way players get better is by playing good competition. You can’t play subpar teams and expect young talent to develop at the level we need them to for Big Ten play.