2009 Non-Conference Predictions

Well, the season is almost here…an exhibition game this week and then the 2009-10 season kicks off next week against Penn. It’s time for some predictions. The guys play 12 non-conference games. How many will they win? Make any assumptions you need to about who they’ll play in Charleston. Let us know which games you think they’ll lose.

There really isn’t a game on the slate that we “should” lose, but I see issues with Miami, Temple, and VT. Always well coached teams. I think we can beat them all, but those could be tough games.

This is a tough call. I know that we all think this team can and will be special. I also know that most of us expect big things after last season. But I think I need to step back and consider all angles before getting “too” hyped. For starters, I expect this to be a feel good type of season. Does that mean NCAA’s or a superior record? No. This team lost alot, brings back alot, and brings in some “apprently” good talent. BUT, does this translate in to a big season this season? I hope so. So I’m going to be cautiously optomistic due to the plethora or new blood that will be logging major minutes. My heart says PSU goes 10-2 in the non con sked. My cautious optimism says 9-3. I have a hunch that if/when PSU loses in the Charleston tourney it will be in the semis for a 2-1 record. I think they can win it, but again I digress… The other two glaring loss opportunities are @ Temple and at home vs Va Tech. Im going to stay with my heart and go for the 10-2 record (for the sake of this poll) and say they also fall @ Temple and get the win at home. Here’s to another great season! Go PSU!

OOC 9-3
Con 12-6
BTT 2-1
NCAA 2-1

[quote=“phoenix, post:4, topic:173”]OOC 9-3
Con 12-6
BTT 2-1
NCAA 2-1[/quote]

I think this prediction is better served for the 2010-11 team, when they are senior heavy and full of good underclassmen with a year under their belts. (+Buie)

I put “8” in the poll but now that I think about it, I would pick 9. Can I do 8.5?
I think we will struggle against some defenses. Talor, at times, will be mugged and I don’t think we have enough other scorers.
We will see. I look forward to the season and I hope we win “12.”

I chose 9, and I think one of them will be a surprising “bad” loss, and one an “upset” win in Charleston.

I don’t really know what to think, though, since I recall last year a lot of people on the board thinking the team wouldn’t be spectacular, and there were doubts about making any kind of post season appearance.

I’m going with 10. I think one loss in SC and maybe a loss vs. VaTech or Temple. Or maybe just a bad loss along the way. And those concerned about scoring – I think we had the same discussion before last season and Stanley stepped up big along with Talor’s jump in PPG. I think we can expect to see some scoring from guys that just needed to be on the court more often. We’ll be fine in that area.

I went with 9. I think we’ll go 2-1 in Charleston (hopefully the loss will be in the finals), lose at Temple, and either lose at Virginia or to Virginia Tech. I wouldn’t be shocked if we go 11-1, however I also wouldn’t be shocked if we go 7-5.

[quote="phoenix, post:4, topic:173"]OOC 9-3 Con 12-6 BTT 2-1 NCAA 2-1[/quote]

I think this prediction is better served for the 2010-11 team, when they are senior heavy and full of good underclassmen with a year under their belts. (+Buie)

I think it is way to early to worry about next year’s predictions! ;D

We sweep the Charleston Classic, beat both Virginia schools, but lose at Temple. 11-1.

I went with 10, a loss in Charleston and a loss @ Temple.

I’m gonna say 9 wins…three loses including one you wouldn’t expect…Robert Morris, Miami (in Charleston), and Virginia Tech

I said 9. I think we’ll lose one that we shouldn’t just because we’re green. I also think we’ll win 2 of the 3 “tough” games.

I have us at 10-2…maybe 11-1.

Young kids, but you can’t ignore the fact that three of our starting five have been playing together for two years…this being their third. Jones, Battle, Jackson show the young guys the ropes and Babb has been shooting at an unconscious level for most of fall practice.

The only games which concern me are at temple and in the championship of the Charleston Classic.

Temple has lost a lot and I’ve seen many preseason A-10 polls that have them at 10th.

Just FYI.

[quote=“eric17, post:16, topic:173”]Temple has lost a lot and I’ve seen many preseason A-10 polls that have them at 10th.

Just FYI.[/quote]

The preseason A10 Coaches/Media poll had them finishing tied for 5th.