PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

2009 Minnesota comparison

I’ve been hearing a lot of people, not necessarily on here but nonetheless, saying we have very slim hopes at this point of getting to the dance. That may be true, but I looked at Minnesota from last year, and we are very similiar. 3 non con losses, one of which was to Portland (though they did beat Butler). Lost a few games they probably shouldn’t have in conference (81-78 @ Indiana, 71-63 vs. Michigan, 83-55 @ Michigan, definitely their low point). With a few exceptions, they were in every game, lost a few in OT, but for the most part they had a chance to beat any team on a given night. Entered the B10 tourney at 18-12 (9-9). And I think everyone remembers what happened. They get hot, knock of Sparty, destroy the Boilermakers, lose in the final but get a ticket to the dance. 9-9 is definitely not out of the question for us, if anything we have a little stronger of an argument at this point because (at this point in the season) we have 2 wins vs ranked teams vs. their 1 (Butler). We have shown we can hang with everybody, if we can get hot in the B10 tourney, look out.

Not a bad comparison…

But the one point you are missing is that the NCAA loves…actually is in bed with…Tubby Smith.

The good news for us is that our little run over the last two weeks has been noticed by many. From here on out, people may actually pay attention to our scores. If we can keep winning when we should, we might actually stay on people’s radars which could help come selection Sunday. If our name comes up for discussion, the selectors in the room might actually know something more about us than what is on the sheet in front of them.

[quote=“UncleLar, post:3, topic:1809”]The good news for us is that our little run over the last two weeks has been noticed by many. From here on out, people may actually pay attention to our scores. If we can keep winning when we should, we might actually stay on people’s radars which could help come selection Sunday. If our name comes up for discussion, the selectors in the room might actually know something more about us than what is on the sheet in front of them.[/quote] We also need to win a few that we aren’t supposed to

I keep looking at the B-10 standings, and I keep thinking this… There are 6 teams ranked. Most likely, they’ll hold a ranking the rest of the way. That’s 6 who are in. If you then take 7-11, if we can finish in that 7th place I think that makes the argument that we should be the 7th team in. I know, the committee doesn’t look at x# of teams from a conference, but if we can finish as the top non-ranked team that helps build the argument.

Especially when you’ve been competitive against those ranked teams. Plus…if PSU is to be considered, that would mean they would have wins against probably four of those ranked teams, hopefully one of those on the road.