PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

2007-08 Season

Saw something on another board a couple days ago about the team in Gerry Claxton’s senior season. As I remember it, that team got off to a good start and was just starting to hit its stride in the Big Ten season when Gerry went down. Then late in the season, Jamelle Cornley got hurt, too.

I think if both Claxton and Cornley had played the whole season, we would have made the NCAA tournament. The one thing I remember about that team was how good a rebounding team we were with Gerry and Jamelle hitting the boards.

What do you guys think?

I think there was very little chance that we would have made the NCAAs. The performace at the Old Spice Classic was awful, and we would have needed a huge performance in the Big Ten to erase those losses. I do think that a healthy Geary would have meant another NIT bid.

Not so fast my friend. Keep in mind Talor couldn’t buy a basket at Old Spice, but certainly found his good stuff against Seton Hall, VT, etc.

Also, keep in mind we won @ Illinois, @ NW, lost very close @ Minny to start the Big 11 schedule. It was the first home game back after Winter Break, I remember cause I was there, where there was a good student turnout against Wisconsin, and the play where GC got hurt happened RIGHT in front of me. I turned to my roommate and said, ‘there goes the season’.

It’s interesting to note that it took the team a few games to change the rhythm of the offense; with Geary, it was a bit slower, with him out, it sped up a bit and was more Talor/Stanley focused.

[quote="frats, post:2, topic:2013"]I think there was very little chance that we would have made the NCAAs. The performace at the Old Spice Classic was awful, and we would have needed a huge performance in the Big Ten to erase those losses. I do think that a healthy Geary would have meant another NIT bid.[/quote]

Not so fast my friend. Keep in mind Talor couldn’t buy a basket at Old Spice, but certainly found his good stuff against Seton Hall, VT, etc.

Also, keep in mind we won @ Illinois, @ NW, lost very close @ Minny to start the Big 11 schedule. It was the first home game back after Winter Break, I remember cause I was there, where there was a good student turnout against Wisconsin, and the play where GC got hurt happened RIGHT in front of me. I turned to my roommate and said, ‘there goes the season’.

It’s interesting to note that it took the team a few games to change the rhythm of the offense; with Geary, it was a bit slower, with him out, it sped up a bit and was more Talor/Stanley focused.

Before Geary got hurt, we had losses to four teams with an RPI worse than 100, and not a single win over a top-50 team. We ended up 15-16, 7-11, lost in the first round in Chicago, and had an RPI of 157.

I just ran the numbers seeing what would have happened had we won 4 more games in the Big Ten (2 home and 2 away). That would have given us an RPI of 89th. This means that at 11-7, we still wouldn’t have been even close to the bubble.

Geary was a great player, however I don’t think he was giving us the 5-6 more wins that we would have needed to get into the conversation on Selection Sunday. We would have been about 59th in the RPI had we done 13-5 in the Big Ten, and I’m guessing that we would have had to do just about that to get in.

Jamelle was also hurt down the stretch, for what it is worth.

After the home collapse in the Minny game, I figured that 2-0 start was a fluke. It’s a shame what happened to Geary, but I don’t think that team was going anywhere. Too many green pieces, too much Geary, and not enough chemistry.

With a 5-figure crowd and a comfortable lead, it looked like they had that Minnesota game won and were about to go 3-0 in conference play. Then they just couldn’t make a FT down the stretch and literally gave the game away. The very next game Claxton goes down against Wisconsin. Like Earl in '98 and Stephens in '99, that will go down as one of the great “what ifs” in PSU basketball history.

And FWIW Talor began his career 3-31 from three. :o