PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

2-2 after 4 BTG

Did you have that predicted?
I surely didn’t but I have been very pessimistic about this season since Maryland game. Beating MSU is no small feat but PSU seems play better against them then lots of other Big ten foes. Can they follow this win up with win against the the Illini? If they do does things really start turning around?

[quote=“PSUdraw, post:1, topic:1744”]Did you have that predicted?
I surely didn’t but I have been very pessimistic about this season since Maryland game. Beating MSU is no small feat but PSU seems play better against them then lots of other Big ten foes. Can they follow this win up with win against the the Illini? If they do does things really start turning around?[/quote]
If only we were 3-1, with a possibility of 4-1, that would be amazing. Sparty and the Illini are two trams that we usually seem to match-up well with and play well against, so a win wouldn’t necessarily shock me in that game. Now, if we can hang tough against tOSU, I will be thoroughly impressed.

[quote="PSUdraw, post:1, topic:1744"]Did you have that predicted? I surely didn't but I have been very pessimistic about this season since Maryland game. Beating MSU is no small feat but PSU seems play better against them then lots of other Big ten foes. Can they follow this win up with win against the the Illini? If they do does things really start turning around?[/quote] If only we were 3-1, with a possibility of 4-1, that would be amazing. Sparty and the Illini are two trams that we usually seem to match-up well with and play well against, so a win wouldn't necessarily shock me in that game. Now, if we can hang tough against tOSU, I will be thoroughly impressed.

Exactly. That Michigan game was a bad loss as far as I’m concerned. They kind of suck, and our guys just didn’t play any defense in the second half.

People would be talking tournament dreams right now if we didn’t basically give away the Maine and Michigan games.

[/quote]
If only we were 3-1, with a possibility of 4-1, that would be amazing. Sparty and the Illini are two trams that we usually seem to match-up well with and play well against, so a win wouldn’t necessarily shock me in that game. Now, if we can hang tough against tOSU, I will be thoroughly impressed.
[/quote]

In college BB, it really is all about the matchups. Like you said, we match up well against MSU and Illinois. We probably match up pretty well against Minny. We don’t match up well against Wisky, Purdue and OSU.

Certainly a huge win today, setting up another big game tuesday night. It would be really nice to beat Illinois at home as we always seem to play well against them. Would highly recommend winning that one with two road games after at OSU and Purdue (ouch). Regardless, a big time win today and it shows when the 4 seniors play like they did today, we can play with anybody. A lot more excited on this team’s outlook heading into tuesday.

I actually thought going in to league play that PSU had a chance to beat MSU due to Sparty’s struggles. So 2-2 right now is not as surprising to me.

I will be somewhat surprised if the Nits can pull one out Tuesday night vs the Illini. Have you seen the Illini lately?

65% from the floor, 64% from 3 in their three Big Ten wins at Iowa and vs Wisconsin and NW. They go nine deep with all nine that can and will score. This is surely not the same Illini team of the past five seasons.

Now the good note in all of that is that they haven’t really been tested in league play with only Wisky at home being an opponent that could have given them a serious run to begin with. And, if PSU can find a way to take the ball out of McCamey’s hands, the Illini struggle with no real backup at the point.

But Tisdale, Davis, Richmond, Cole, Leonard, Griffey, Richardson, Paul and McCamey. You really can’t focus on shutting down just one or two guys, cause all of these guys can and will burn you.

I’ll tell you one thing though…I sure hope I am sleeping in the guest room on Tuesday night ;D

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:6, topic:1744”]I actually thought going in to league play that PSU had a chance to beat MSU due to Sparty’s struggles. So 2-2 right now is not as surprising to me.
I will be somewhat surprised if the Nits can pull one out Tuesday night vs the Illini. Have you seen the Illini lately?

65% from the floor, 64% from 3 in their three Big Ten wins at Iowa and vs Wisconsin and NW. They go nine deep with all nine that can and will score. This is surely not the same Illini team of the past five seasons.
Now the good note in all of that is that they haven’t really been tested in league play with only Wisky at home being an opponent that could have given them a serious run to begin with. And, if PSU can find a way to take the ball out of McCamey’s hands, the Illini struggle with no real backup at the point.
But Tisdale, Davis, Richmond, Cole, Leonard, Griffey, Richardson, Paul and McCamey. You really can’t focus on shutting down just one or two guys, cause ll of these guys can and will burn you.
I’ll tell you one thing though…I sure hope I am sleeping in the guest room on Tuesday night ;D[/quote]
While I am sure you said that in humor, I would be willing to guess that if the Illini win, the suggestion that then the wife move to the guest room would never come up. ;D

I’m not that surprised at 2-2. I’m more surprised at how it happened.

Agreed. I expected wins vs Michigan and Indiana.

[quote=“PSUdraw, post:1, topic:1744”]Did you have that predicted?
I surely didn’t but I have been very pessimistic about this season since Maryland game. Beating MSU is no small feat but PSU seems play better against them then lots of other Big ten foes. Can they follow this win up with win against the the Illini? If they do does things really start turning around?[/quote]

Prior to the Maryland game, I was seeing 3-2, winning the first 2, then going 1-2 at home. After the MD game, I got depressed. After VTech(and even MSM) I was seeing 0-5. Pretty amazing. Not sure of the Illini, but feel much better about NW, Iowa, Minny. OSU, still not so great.

I actually thought going in to league play that PSU had a chance to beat MSU due to Sparty's struggles. So 2-2 right now is not as surprising to me. I will be somewhat surprised if the Nits can pull one out Tuesday night vs the Illini. Have you seen the Illini lately?

But Tisdale, Davis, Richmond, Cole, Leonard, Griffey, Richardson, Paul and McCamey. You really can’t focus on shutting down just one or two guys, cause ll of these guys can and will burn you.
I’ll tell you one thing though…I sure hope I am sleeping in the guest room on Tuesday night ;D

While I am sure you said that in humor, I would be willing to guess that if the Illini win, the suggestion that then the wife move to the guest room would never come up. ;D

You’re right, Duff…never, ever. ;D But there is no joking about the guest room. Feb 4, 2006 was a great, but lonely night.

Though I will say that I think my wife is coming around to the idea that this game on Tuesday will be huge for the Nittany’s and specifically Talor Battle. Any Big Ten college basketball fan would probably want to see Talor get a shot in the NCAA’s, my wife included. So from that perspective, I think she’ll be somewhat happy for me, knowing how fanatical I am for PSU hoops.

[quote="NittanyIllini, post:6, topic:1744"]I actually thought going in to league play that PSU had a chance to beat MSU due to Sparty's struggles. So 2-2 right now is not as surprising to me. I will be somewhat surprised if the Nits can pull one out Tuesday night vs the Illini. Have you seen the Illini lately?

I’ll tell you one thing though…I sure hope I am sleeping in the guest room on Tuesday night ;D[/quote]

You’re right, Duff…never, ever. ;D But there is no joking about the guest room. Feb 4, 2006 was a great, but lonely night.

Though I will say that I think my wife is coming around to the idea that this game on Tuesday will be huge for the Nittany’s and specifically Talor Battle. Any Big Ten college basketball fan would probably want to see Talor get a shot in the NCAA’s, my wife included. So from that perspective, I think she’ll be somewhat happy for me, knowing how fanatical I am for PSU hoops.

All I can say is that I am glad that my wife is Nittany Lion fan, who not only loves BB but has great insight into the game and what is working and what isn’t. First half today she tels m that Andrew is playing his best game of the year. I tell her that he is playing alright but he only has 6 points and that in his prior game he had 6 points early and that was all he ended up with. No she says he is really on it today, he is going to have a good game. Whew!

Next 3 are rugged. Schedule makers did PSU no favors. Illini,O$U, and the Boilers again. Would be nice to get 1 of them and come out 3-4 after the 1st 7. The most realistic one would be Tuesday night’s game.

My wife watched the game with me yesterday and she said at the end of the game “No wonder why DeChellis is bald. If every game this year is like that they better keep a defib next to his seat.”

Given our pattern of the 1st 4 games, seems some of us thought we’d be around 2-2 but not the way it ended up. If it holds true to form (us expecting 1-2 in the next 3) we’d lose vs Illini, O$U and win at Purdue. Or win at O$U, but even that’s a bit of a stretch for the pattern. :wink:

There are games on the schedule we should win. I’m talking home vs Iowa, Michigan, and both games against Northwestern. On top of that I think we are good enough to beat Wisconsin once this season, Minnesota once this season, and pull off 1 more upset win. Of course we could lose games we should win and vice versa, but the point is no one should assume this team will have a losing record. On any given day we could win, the scary thing is we could also lose to teams we should beat. Yes the team is inconsistent, but the chance exists to win a lot more games.

bballguy, very true. hard to predict what will happen. a lot of college basketball teams are inconsistent, because they are trying to shoot a ball in a small round hole. if you’re timing is off, if the ball is rimming out, you could be inconsistent at scoring. when our seniors are on the same page, we give ourselves a great chance to win. all we can do is support the team and hope for the best! If our seniors step up early, then guys like Frazier, Oliver, and Marshall can come in and pick up right where they left off. And maybe…just maybe…

Cam Woodyard