1993 PSU vs Indiana

I think this is the famous “foul” game that cheated PSU. I’ve never seen it but I hope this is my chance!

It will be on ESPN Classic tomorrow at 5pm eastern.

It is the Lickliter game right?

I hate this game and I hate Sm Lckltr.

[quote=“LPcreation, post:1, topic:698”]I think this is the famous “foul” game that cheated PSU. I’ve never seen it but I hope this is my chance!

It is the Lickliter game right?[/quote]

Thanks for the head’s up. Awesome game.

Too bad the ending sux! I have seen this game a couple times and still can’t understand the Bartram call.

Here’s a great Dave Jones article remembering that game:
http://pennstate.scout.com/2/352554.html

Worst call ever. If you watch it, you will agree. Absolutely unbelievable.

Even though we lost, this game is a MUST view for all PSU hoops fans. Heck I’d show it to the kids on the team just to get them pumped up to go out and beat Indiana’s butts. Indiana was the #1 ranked team in the country and PSU totally outplayed them that game. I’d hand each kid a DVD of the game after practice today and make them watch it tonight - then instead of a pregame speech tomorrow, I’d show them some quick highlights and tell them to go out and get some revenge.

It is kind of unfortunate for Lickliter. From the angle he had, I’m sure it looked like Bartram committed a foul. As David Jones pointed out in his article, Gene Monje had a perfect angle to see exactly what happened. But he was standing on the court right in front of Bobby Knight and never made any attempt to correct the call. The hatred that has been focused on Lickliter for nearly 20 years really should have been shared with Monje if not totally directed at him.

I was there that night three rows up in the student section. I was at the other end of the court free throw line extended when the foul occurred and everyone around me was pissed at Bartram. I had no clue the call was blown until I got back to my dorm room. That being said, it wasn’t my job to make that call. Lickliter, Monje, I don’t care, they all deserve our ire. That team played their hearts. To have what should have been the basketball highlight of a lifetime for most of them ripped away in such a manner was just such a travesty.

[quote=“LPcreation, post:1, topic:698”]I think this is the famous “foul” game that cheated PSU. I’ve never seen it but I hope this is my chance!

LP, I thought you were an oldtimer around here. How could you not have seen that game?!

I just want to reiterate what Lar said. If you haven’t seen this game you just have to find a way to see it. The most memorable sporting event I have ever attended and my proudest moment as a PSU fan.

[quote="UncleLar, post:7, topic:698"]Even though we lost, this game is a MUST view for all PSU hoops fans. Heck I'd show it to the kids on the team just to get them pumped up to go out and beat Indiana's butts. Indiana was the #1 ranked team in the country and PSU totally outplayed them that game. I'd hand each kid a DVD of the game after practice today and make them watch it tonight - then instead of a pregame speech tomorrow, I'd show them some quick highlights and tell them to go out and get some revenge.[/quote]

I just want to reiterate what Lar said. If you haven’t seen this game you just have to find a way to see it. The most memorable sporting event I have ever attended and my proudest moment as a PSU fan.

Completely agree. That and the PSU/Miami NIT game were the two best PSU games I’ve ever seen.

I do not disagree with what you say about the Licktliter angle but, but, but a few minutes before that call there was an out of bounds call that should have gone to PSU that Licktlighter said belonged to Indiana. Monge (I think) stepped in and made the correction and rightfully gave the ball to PSU to inbounds . On the inbounds, Licktlighter called a 5 second call in about 3.5 seconds. It was a very quick 5 second call and Parkhill was reallly ticked. (I think you will see it in the Classic replay).
I have always felt that, that SOB Licktlighter put the ball back to the team he had called to have the inbounds pass and at the same time was sending the other two refs a very loud message, DO NOT EVER OVERRULE MY CALL! I always felt that, that had something to do with Monge not correcting the Bartram call. Unfortunately, Monge and the 3rd ref acquieced and made no attempt to correct a very, very wrong call.

DirecTV switched from carrying ESPN Classics on the Expanded package to carrying ESPN-U. I thought it was a great idea, but every once in a while… :-[ :’(

Can someone record this on a VCR and send me a tape? I don’t want to smash my DVD player. ;D

Older than some, younger than others. :slight_smile:

I didn’t start watching PSU hoops until I was about 14 which was 1994. I was in upstate NY through HS ('98) while my dad moved here around '93 or so. When I come up to visit I normally got 3 treats…

A movie (i only got cable and my town didn’t have a blockbuster/movie place)
Domino’s pizza (we only had uni-mart pizza in my hometown)
PSU Hoops (I had to drive about 40 minutes to see St Bona)

Man does that sound depressing. ;D

Regardless, it looks like I’ll miss out on another opportunity. I have Directv. Oh well, I’ll keep looking.

[quote="LPcreation, post:1, topic:698"]I think this is the famous "foul" game that cheated PSU. I've never seen it but I hope this is my chance!

DirecTV switched from carrying ESPN Classics on the Expanded package to carrying ESPN-U. I thought it was a great idea, but every once in a while… :-[ :’(

Can someone record this on a VCR and send me a tape? I don’t want to smash my DVD player. ;D

Skeeza,

I’m in the same boat. Is there anyway with DirecTV to order up a sports package one day then cancel it the next so you only have to pay pennies on the dollar. I used to do that with Comcast.

I have DirecTV, and I saw the 1993 IU game on my listings this morning, so I set my DVR to record it. I have the sports pack, so maybe this is why I get it.

In terms of ordering and then cancelling, I did that a few years ago with the sports pack (before I subscribed for good). I ordered it so I could watch a Penn State basketball game on Fox Sports-Pittsburgh and then cancelled it the following day. Think it cost me about fifty cents!

I was in law school in 1993 and taped the game to watch when I got home. It was easily one of the most exciting Penn State games I’ve ever seen, even with the loss.

I have the same package. I set it to record from my phone…we’ll see if it works.

Thanks for pointing this out.

[quote=“jyd, post:17, topic:698”]I have DirecTV, and I saw the 1993 IU game on my listings this morning, so I set my DVR to record it. I have the sports pack, so maybe this is why I get it.

In terms of ordering and then cancelling, I did that a few years ago with the sports pack (before I subscribed for good). I ordered it so I could watch a Penn State basketball game on Fox Sports-Pittsburgh and then cancelled it the following day. Think it cost me about fifty cents!

I was in law school in 1993 and taped the game to watch when I got home. It was easily one of the most exciting Penn State games I’ve ever seen, even with the loss. [/quote]

Thanks jyd. Might give it a try.