PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

10 Rising Programs

We are not on this but I hope our program will be a rising one

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/17838/dont-sleep-on-these-10-rising-programs

You’ll notice that there are only two teams from the BCS conferences. To me that means that not only do you have to improve internally, but you have to have a schedule that will allow your team to improve. Take the Big Ten for instance. Even if we think that PSU will be much improved talent-wise or experience-wise this season, the fact that they have to play MSU, Purdue, Ohio State, Illinois, Wisconsin and Minnesota all twice will keep them off any of these lists.

Really, only St John’s and Georgia on this list will have anything close to that kind of schedule, and even then the Big East and SEC is not in the same class with the Big Ten. So a Woffard or Richmond or any other school on this list will only need to add one or two terrific players and improve internally to be able to rise in their respective conferences.

Steve Lavin demonstrates that sheer force of personality, enthusiasm and salesmanship can immediately lift a program from the dust bin. You never know how it works long term, or how good an X’s and O’s guy you get with this approach, as usually the X’s and O’s types are more thinkers than salesmen, but it’s going to be a very interesting season for the Redmen Red Storm. Kind of unfortunate for the last coach who had some very nice conference wins last year. But, IMO, Lavin could really elevate the whole show. If it can be done on Queens Blvd., it can be done anywhere.

Had we not lost Edwards and Babb I think we’d be on lists like this one

Some times you improve the locker room by substraction.

We either need to get Savon Goodman, develop the players we have, or hire another coach that can get some better recruits

so you think their transfers were a good thing? it seems like we were left thin, even if there were some locker room issues (which I have never heard from anybody)

don’t get ahead of yourself. Ed just needs 7 more years before we can really judge his performance. after all, Parkhill left a good team to Dunn 15 years ago, so any problems with recruiting or play are Jerry’s fault. Or the punk players creating locker room issues. Or bad luck. Ed is blameless for everything. If Ed can make 2 more NITs before 2018 we will be fine.

[quote="lynkpsu, post:6, topic:1494"]We either need to get Savon Goodman, develop the players we have, or hire another coach that can get some better recruits[/quote]

don’t get ahead of yourself. Ed just needs 7 more years before we can really judge his performance. after all, Parkhill left a good team to Dunn 15 years ago, so any problems with recruiting or play are Jerry’s fault. Or the punk players creating locker room issues. Or bad luck. Ed is blameless for everything. If Ed can make 2 more NITs before 2018 we will be fine.

oh good, you’re back to your old ways now that the season has started again. say hi to battlesway for me.

[quote="lynkpsu, post:6, topic:1494"]We either need to get Savon Goodman, develop the players we have, or hire another coach that can get some better recruits[/quote]

oh good, you’re back to your old ways now that the season has started again. say hi to battlesway for me.

Ha! I am not back to my old self from last year just yet. but When I see something like - we got better by the subtraction of 2 players, it ticks me off. my prediction is that this team will make the NCAA tournament and Ed will be back for at least a few more years. T

It’s okay PSU_DC just start a pro psu football thread and Craftsy’s true colors will come out. Not sure what i’m up to. Didn’t call out any person/player/coach. Just simply asked you to elaborate on something you claimed. Nothing more nothing less. ::slight_smile: