0-8, or 0-18, won’t get DeChellis fired

http://altoonamirror.com/page/content.detail/id/526452.html?nav=5017

Had to laugh at the guy who volunteered to go 0-8 for $200 K . I guess the day will come when we might have to accept the fact that we are a football school and the adminstration doesnt give a rats ass about having a competitive bball program. I wil continue to keep my fingers crossed

Pretty solid article. The monetary overview makes a lot of sense for the argument that ED wouldn’t be fired. Doesn’t make it the “right” basketball decision, but it is what it is.

One of the announcers last night brought up an interesting point with class division. This year we have no seniors, so next year we should be pretty tough with a Senior class that includes: Battle, Jackson, Ott, Jones and Brooks. So if we use all the scholarships for HS kids our class distribution becomes the following year: Seniors - Camm and Babb, Juniors - Frazier, Edwards and Sasa, Sophs - Taran and Marshall, Freshmen - Burke, Alexis, Recruit to be Determined #1, #2 and #3. I guess the ideal distrubution would be to have 3 man classes, but I don’t know if we hold a scholarship for the following year we are operating a man down plus that puts the kid into a year where we already will have a large class. So the question I have is so we just go after a JUCO PF or C and get a college ready body so that Alexis could work his way in without feeling a huge load.

I wouldn’t be against a JUCO big man JJ, but that’s easier said than done in many cases.

You missed Billy Oliver in there, he’s in the Frazier/Edwards/Sasa class.

If Ed is still around, then I’ll be very surprised if one of those 3 ships isn’t used on a JuCo big man. Ideally, I would think that we’ll fill out the 3 ships with a JuCo big (4 or 5 that is ready to contribute), a high school senior that’s a 4 or 5, and the best available other guy that they can find (would also be good if he’s a 3-5, however I’d take another guard if he’s better than our other options).

[quote=“frats, post:6, topic:757”]You missed Billy Oliver in there, he’s in the Frazier/Edwards/Sasa class.

If Ed is still around, then I’ll be very surprised if one of those 3 ships isn’t used on a JuCo big man. Ideally, I would think that we’ll fill out the 3 ships with a JuCo big (4 or 5 that is ready to contribute), a high school senior that’s a 4 or 5, and the best available other guy that they can find (would also be good if he’s a 3-5, however I’d take another guard if he’s better than our other options). [/quote]

Frats, you caught me. :wink:

I keep forgetting we have Oliver. I guess I just haven’t seen him play even though I have been patiently waiting. I just hope the kid gets his health back so that he can contribute. I know this isn’t the way he wants to go through his college career.

[quote="frats, post:6, topic:757"]You missed Billy Oliver in there, he's in the Frazier/Edwards/Sasa class.

If Ed is still around, then I’ll be very surprised if one of those 3 ships isn’t used on a JuCo big man. Ideally, I would think that we’ll fill out the 3 ships with a JuCo big (4 or 5 that is ready to contribute), a high school senior that’s a 4 or 5, and the best available other guy that they can find (would also be good if he’s a 3-5, however I’d take another guard if he’s better than our other options).[/quote]

Frats, you caught me. :wink:

I keep forgetting we have Oliver. I guess I just haven’t seen him play even though I have been patiently waiting. I just hope the kid gets his health back so that he can contribute. I know this isn’t the way he wants to go through his college career.

If his health is seriously the issue I hope they sit down with some docotors at year end and can figure out if this is ever going to happen or not. If not they need to get that ship and move on (every single one counts right now)

The article didn’t mention a “buy-out” did it?

One more thing…smart people who do stupid things often enough, may not be so smart.

Also, a school that needs eight home football games to pay the bills and is getting ready to institute what amounts to a private seat license in 2011 to make more money is not about to eat whatever it would take to buy out four years of DeChellis' contract.

Thanks Cap. I didn’t think much of the article, thus I didn’t read it to the end. I don’t think the author has a clue of what goes on at PSU.
Greed is all consuming. Maybe a big money donor will “bail out” basketball like wrestling!

This is all a little silly, in my opinion. 0-8 is real bad, but 10 games remain either way. Whether to retain the coach is an off-season question, not a mid-season question. Coming off of last year I was hoping for at least 7 wins this season to keep the program moving along, will they go 7-3 to close things out? I don’t know, they might if they finish out some games. It makes sense to call for the coach to go if he does indeed go 0-18, but we are over a month away from knowing that.